Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I think what Mitt is trying to say is that subsidies to small family farms are bad, while subsidies to the corporate farming industry is good.

BS-

I am a "small farmer" by land ownership (I am a physician by trade). Ban the subsidies. They do not do me personally one bit of good.

What is good"

1. Elimination of the "death tax" which prevents family farms from being passed on to children who will continue a family farm. Most of the "farm sales" that we have in Iowa is from people breaking up family farms for tax reasons. This has resulted in the rise of corporate farms and the elimination of small towns in our state.

2. CRP programs- it keeps the water clean and protects the soil, insuring that the US will have clean water and fertile soil in the future.

3. Drought and flood insurance- it keeps food prices stable and prevents a "small farmer" from becoming insolvent due to a single event season.

There you have it. I will always do well, regardless of the farm economy. You, as a citizen, will be more susceptible to changes in crop production. Do I care? No. Do you care? We will see.

PS- you can't stay on my farm. It is too well defended by relatives that have alot more combat experience than you (not just vets, but the real deal), as well as better weapons and more ammunition.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,048,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

PS- you can't stay on my farm. It is too well defended by relatives that have alot more combat experience than you (not just vets, but the real deal), as well as better weapons and more ammunition.
In that case, it's a good thing I changed my mind about coming down for a visit next week.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
That would depend on the sibsidy. The ethenol rage is resourse wasteful. People want Milk that doesnt cost $10 a gal? Be happy about subsidies.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,569,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting, our farming sector is totally market driven with no help at all yet when it comes to efficiency in dairy production we would hammer Canada.
Rather sad to see people saying farming in the USA needs subsidies to compete, the rough tough US farmer has gone where ?
Oh, it was a left wing government here that dumped subsidies , unlike Canada we do not have a very large market just over a land border
Well ,I'm sure you would be quite shocked about the volume and the number of US foodstuffs that are dumped into the Canadian Market. For many years we had cherries coming into our market form the US for 11 cents a pound. Our cherry farmers cut all their cherry trees down after 10 years of so of it. I used to get my mother's neighbours in Florida all upset when I visited in the winter. I'd take down the weekly food store flyers and the Florida produce was cheaper here 1250 km away from Florida than it was at the Publix stores in the state. I can usually buy Vadialia onions for less here than in Georgia. It's crazy. I sometimes pay less for oranges than I paid right at the freakin orchard in Winterhaven.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM

640 posts, read 717,234 times
Jeebus...as American's we enjoy the...I repeat the...lowest cost of food per capita income...why screw with the one thing that works...God bless them farmers and their random season crops...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,136,946 times
Sugar subsidies are a rip, we should be paying a lot less for sugar.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 PM

45,189 posts, read 26,403,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Sugar subsidies are a rip, we should be paying a lot less for sugar.
Sure are, but our wise government has deemed HFCS an preferable sweetener in order to pay back the corn lobby.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 PM

640 posts, read 717,234 times
Seriously, some of y'all are just ignorant bastards...go to another country, any other country, and see what percentage of your income is spent on food...it's the one area which the Republicans and Democrats haven't yet ****ed up...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In that case, it's a good thing I changed my mind about coming down for a visit next week.
For a barby and a weekend visit or camping out (or staying at the lodge- which is fantastic)- that is fine. Come there and have a good time. It is a great facility and good for kids. Hell- I don't live there. However, for "Mad Max " purposes, my relatives are mostly combat vets from Vietnam, Korea and WW-2 (only my dad), as well as Gulf War I and II. They have an understanding of defensive tactics, have an arsenal that would make the US military blush (I will post this on the internet, as they know, and I know that we could slaughter any US force in our terrain- we don't stay put and we know tactics) with a reaction to force. You might think that we are "old", but we could defeat the US military on our own terrain in the absence of artillery and amour and the US military knows it- they trained these guys against Charlie and the "skinnies" and we know how to fight.

Make no mistake- the balance of the US could take on the US military. Why?

1. Most of the combat troops come from where we live

2. Given that most of the combat troops come from our locale, they would be wont to to take up arms against their kin. They would be more likely to take up arms against Obama.

3. Former vets live where we live. They are our relatives and kin. They would (and are) helping us against any insurrection from the government against us. Weapons of mass destruction do not matter in an urban and wooded environment. If Obama and the feds opposed us, it would be Vietnam all over again- we hold the country and have the technology and tactics to defend it. We would win, particulary with the intervention of a foreign power, interested in the takedown of the US (see the first Revolution). What do you think we are doing now? We know the terrain, realize that you do occupy fixed areas, understand areas of support and withdraw, and understand areas of vunerability. Do you really think that the left could and would occupy America? You are insane- we would destroy any governmental assault, as "our people" have been trained on all the battlefields of the US over the last 60 years. Good luck!

4. The terrain is not appropriate for rapid subjugation. It is too vast- see the Soviet Union

5. We have all the land bases nukes

6. Troops would defect and support US citizens at the expense of a tyrannical govenrment

7. Obama has more to fear form the US citizens than they have to fear from Obama- We have one tyrant and a nation of free people. Who do you think would win?

Go for it. We have a culture which is closer to the original US colonies than the US right now. We would fight for liberty. The US communist forces would be defeated easily, as those enscripted would oppose the mandates of a totalitarian force which suggested an insurrection of their own relatives. Give me a break. People will not fight their own kin. They know what is right and liberalism is inherently wrong. The rural population and the land mass of the US (which is conservative) could easily defeat a totalitarian force originated from the leftist, urban population. That is why Obama has asked the military to create a scenario in which the leftist urban population might attack and subjugatge the land mass of the US. Tough luck- we would kick their asses and would restore a "normal" US.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 08-09-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
For a barby and a weekend visit or camping out (or staying at the lodge- which is fantastic)- that is fine. Come there and have a good time. It is a great facility and good for kids. Hell- I don't live there. However, for "Mad Max " purposes, my relatives are mostly combat vets from Vietnam, Korea and WW-2 (only my dad), as well as Gulf War I and II. They have an understanding of defensive tactics, have an arsenal that would make the US military blush (I will post this on the internet, as they know, and I know that we could slaughter any US force in our terrain- we don't stay put and we know tactics) with a reaction to force. You might think that we are "old", but we could defeat the US military on our own terrain in the absence of artillery and amour and the US military knows it- they trained these guys against Charlie and the "skinnies" and we know how to fight.

Make no mistake- the balance of the US could take on the US military. Why?

1. Most of the combat troops come from where we live

2. Given that most of the combat troops come from our locale, they would be wont to to take up arms against their kin. They would be more likely to take up arms against Obama.

3. Former vets live where we live. They are our relatives and kin. They would (and are) helping us against any insurrection from the government against us. Weapons of mass destruction do not matter in an urban and wooded environment. If Obama and the feds opposed us, it would be Vietnam all over again- we hold the country and have the technology and tactics to defend it. We would win, particulary with the intervention of a foreign power, interested in the takedown of the US (see the first Revolution). What do you think we are doing now? We know the terrain, realize that you do occupy fixed areas, understand areas of support and withdraw, and understand areas of vunerability. Do you really think that the left could and would occupy America? You are insane- we would destroy any governmental assault, as "our people" have been trained on all the battlefields of the US over the last 60 years. Good luck!

4. The terrain is not appropriate for rapid subjugation. It is too vast- see the Soviet Union

5. We have all the land bases nukes

6. Troops would defect and support US citizens at the expense of a tyrannical govenrment

7. Obama has more to fear form the US citizens than they have to fear from Obama- We have one tyrant and a nation of free people. Who do you think would win?

Go for it. We have a culture which is closer to the original US colonies than the US right now. We would fight for liberty. The US communist forces would be defeated easily, as those enscripted would oppose the mandates of a totalitarian force which suggested an insurrection of their own relatives. Give me a break. People will not fight their own kin. They know what is right and liberalism is inherently wrong. The rural population and the land mass of the US (which is conservative) could easily defeat a totalitarian force originated from the leftist, urban population. That is why Obama has asked the military to create a scenario in which the leftist urban population might attack and subjugatge the land mass of the US. Tough luck- we would kick their asses and would restore a "normal" US.
The stuff conspiracy theories are made of. Grade A tin foilery at it's finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.