Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL...Farnsworth Bentley is a stage name for the singer\rapper. He also goes by "Fonzworth".
His real name is Derrick Watkins. He picked a name signifying uppercrust wealth.

Billups, no idea where he got his name. Always liked the guy but not enough to find out.
His mother named him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Letitia is an old name, in fact I think there was a first lady from the 1700s with that name

There's a black lady named Lucretia and she owns a very successful perfume business online. Additionally, there are quite a few middle class white women with the name Lucretia

But why so much content for lower class people though?
No one HAS to give their child a lower class sounding name. You can be poor as dirt and give a child a normal sounding name that he or she could put on a resume.

Standard names aren't black or white, anyone can have a name like Susan, Michelle, William, Al, Martin.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Jaleel White did have to work twice as hard as other young actors in his acting career, but it paid off in his role as Urkel on the early 90s hit "Family Matters"...
And he got to play a guy named Steve.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Fixed... ... lol.

But seriously, add Darius to that list too.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But yes Darius is on the list on "normal" black names. The problem with the list of name that I created is that they already existed before they started to become popular black names. Now they are subject to the same scrutinizing that the Sha, La, and De names are. I wonder if we (black folk) all called ourselves Bob or John (something similar) how would the naming landscape look today.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I hate common names.

My name isn't common at all and I never had a problem getting employment.

Disagree that white sounding names get more job offers. My sister has an African American name and she has gotten plenty of job offers. She has a Bachelor's Degree. Most employers go by experience.
So then you are admitting there is no problem, there is no racism.

Having a very unusual and ghetto sounding name doesn't end up hurting one's job chances so all is fine.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is all about exclusion of the lower classes or the wrong skin color. For some human beings, they don't feel right if they aren't trampling on someone else. They need social outcasts, they need the "other" so they can feel apart of something. Feel good about themselves.

Also, oftentimes powerful people use the fear of the other to control people. You don't want us out of the way because those people will take over if we aren't here to stop and control them.

It is a very sick manner of thinking, but unfortunately it is a very common way of thinking.
The problem is -- you as well as everyone else does it. If you see a name without seeing the person, you will form a vague mental image of that person.

You're all talking about Shaquisha being a name that makes someone think of a black girl or woman, but what if Shaquisha turned out to be a white man? Boy would you sure be surprised.

And that's because you're sexist as well as racist.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But yes Darius is on the list on "normal" black names. The problem with the list of name that I created is that they already existed before they started to become popular black names. Now they are subject to the same scrutinizing that the Sha, La, and De names are. I wonder if we (black folk) all called ourselves Bob or John (something similar) how would the naming landscape look today.
The only Darius I have ever met is Persian.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The only Darius I have ever met is Persian.
I know three people name Darius. And they are black and Christian.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
So names like Lucretia or Letitia (european name a lot of white women have) is much more acceptable than Tanisha (common African American name)? They both have that eesha sound to it.
You are aware that Lucretia and Letitia are Roman in origin, I trust?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine a resume comes across your desk and the applicants real name is Moon unit zappa. What's your reaction? lol
If I ran a dental floss ranch, my reaction would be: "Hire her, NOW!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies