Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No one HAS to give their child a lower class sounding name. You can be poor as dirt and give a child a normal sounding name that he or she could put on a resume.

Standard names aren't black or white, anyone can have a name like Susan, Michelle, William, Al, Martin.
I read somewhere that a girl was named Ashotavodka, sound it out loud if you don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM

191 posts, read 242,408 times
There's a congressman from Texas named Lamar Smith......he's a White guy

Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Every year the clerks at my school and multiple surrounding schools have a contest to see who registered the child with the most bizarre or laughable name. One year a school submitted this one: La-a (it was pronounced La-dash-a). The district next to ours had a family where the kid's names were King Persia, Lord Samson, and Queen (something). My personal favorite arrived just last year, Taken. That's right, the kid was named a verb and it was pronounced like a verb. Apparently the teacher thought it would be pronounced Ta'kin and was taken to task. Anyone think any of those resumes are going to be given equal consideration when they hit the job market? In some European countries names have to be approved, wouldn't want it to happen here but.....

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This. My grandfather's name was Roscoe and I'm black and so was he. One of my nephews (poor little guy) is named after him and he's black too.

Honestly, I don't think that names have that much of an effect. And you may be upset at what I'm about to say, but I think that black people moreso have a more negative connotation when it comes to "ghetto" names than white HR people. I have worked in HR and currently do pre-interviews an HR work for my employer. I have had to convince my black co-worker to call in people with good qualifications due to him being prejudiced against the name of an applicant. I have known plenty of black people with "ghetto" names that are from some of the wealthiest black families in this country via my matriculation at an HBCU. People cannot chose their names and some people, black or white or whatever, like unique names.

I have a pretty traditionally Irish name. I joke that I am "Black Irish" lol! My grandmother's surname is Irish too and we were actually invited to a family reunion in Ireland for a family with the same surname. She wished she had not just gone on a trip as she would rather have gone to Ireland at the time.

Both of my kids have unusual names. Not ghetto but unusual and very easy to pronounce. They also have a common surname from their dad and traditional middle names so if they want they can always go by their middle name.

My DH has a couple "eeshas" in his family, older women in their 70s and 80s. I also agree Lucretia is a very common name.

But I disagree in that it is "okay" for whites to have "hill billy" names and that they won't get prejudice on job applications versus a Jamal or LaTrisha. I doubt Betty Jo or Billy Bob or Bubba get many call backs either.
Funny about the "Irish" name thing and Black people; I'm of Irish family yet many people with "Irish" last names in 2012 ARE Black like Shaquille O'Neal.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Nobody cares about being American anymore. My Dad's family were first generation German immigrants. They gave their children American names and made them speak English at all times even though my Grandparents spoke German. My Dad said swearing and speaking German would get your mouth washed out with soap.

Those values? Don't exist anymore. No wonder the country is dying.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Funny about the "Irish" name thing and Black people; I'm of Irish family yet many people with "Irish" last names in 2012 ARE Black like Shaquille O'Neal.
You know Irish and Black are well known to each other.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The funny thing is that the majority of people that make fun of some of the "ghetto names" are black people.

Oh, and don't tell me people don't make fun of odd "upper crust" names. How many times in movies etc. do you see the rich old white guy with a name like Farnsworth or Chauncey?
"Farnsworth" is an old Arizona family name; probably a Mormon family tho I've heard of a few Mexicans with that last name.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Jaleel White did have to work twice as hard as other young actors in his acting career, but it paid off in his role as Urkel on the early 90s hit "Family Matters"...
So did Dorothy Dandridge, Kim Fields, and Gabrielle Union. All Anglo names. It doesn't really make a difference.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I can't believe society allows whites to be this ignorant and racist.
Uh; Arabs ARE "white". Not all of us "white people" are pasty white in color; some of us have almost black colored skin. Sheesh!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Rosa Parks lived in different times. Her situation cannot be compared to what blacks face today.
Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies