Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Really?
That "la-a" story's been retold hundreds of times. In fact, it's got a page on Snopes.
That's why I said "One school submitted..." There was a story going around about 15 years ago about twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello. The royal family and the verb kid.... true story, knew teachers that had them in their classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM

288 posts, read 283,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Names are always going to be affiliated with social class. They always have been and probably always will be.

I attach the whole Spanish language to poverty for instance, including their names. And yes, the ghetto black names I tend to laugh at a lot as well. I wouldn't want a doctor with the name Mohammad either (or any other Islamic name).

Yes, because we all know that doctors with the name David is more safe... Just ignorant..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That's why I said "One school submitted..." There was a story going around about 15 years ago about twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello. The royal family and the verb kid.... true story, knew teachers that had them in their classroom.
I saw a documentary where a guy names his twins "Winner" and "Loser."

Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
What about guys named John?

"Dear John" letters...

I need to go to the John....

The hooker picked up a John...

Where is the outrage?!

TrapperJohn.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 PM

288 posts, read 283,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Arabs ARE "white". Not all of us "white people" are pasty white in color; some of us have almost black colored skin. Sheesh!

Your post sometimes is comical, if you are Caucasian and you have some dark skin, then you are not pure Caucasian, I mean you do understand that don't you? Besides all Arabs are not Caucasian I know some and they don't consider themselves white..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Neither Lucretia nor Leticia are really more acceptable these days than "Tanisha."

The whole "isha" "eesha" thing isn't respected because it denotes origins from the lower class. Just like "Billy Bob" or "Sally Joe"...
How so? A name doesn't make anyone lower class black or white!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
Your post sometimes is comical, if you are Caucasian and you have some dark skin, then you are not pure Caucasian, I mean you do understand that don't you? Besides all Arabs are not Caucasian I know some and they don't consider themselves white..
That's because there are not really 3 or 4 separate and distinct races, the human race is one broard spectrum. You can actually be quite pasty white and be mixed or you can be quite dark and be mixed. You can be a blue eyed blond and have a black grandparent.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Neither Lucretia nor Leticia are really more acceptable these days than "Tanisha."
The whole "isha" "eesha" thing isn't respected because it denotes origins from the lower class. Just like "Billy Bob" or "Sally Joe"...
Patricia? Alicia? I don't think it's the ending sound, I think it's something else that makes you think "low class" and your mind can change once you meet someone who isn't with an unusual name.

True story; my daughter found a roommate on craigslist last year with a semi-unusual name and when she tried to find her on FB (first name + last name) she only found black girls. When they met in person a few days leter the first thing the girl said was "you probably thought I was black" (she wasn't). Haha.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
So names like Lucretia or Letitia (european name a lot of white women have) is much more acceptable than Tanisha (common African American name)? They both have that eesha sound to it.
Just do like the Gov. of SC. change your name and Turn your back on your ethnicity so you can be republican.
The Curious and Unfortunate Case of Nikki Haley | KABOBfest

Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Just do like the Gov. of SC. change your name and Turn your back on your ethnicity so you can be republican.
The Curious and Unfortunate Case of Nikki Haley | KABOBfest
She changed her name from Nikki to Nikki?

Oh noes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies