Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

The main reason that there are stereotypes and prejudices (both positive and negative) about certain names is because of the observed actions of those bearing those certain names... and reality tv shows are just one way that the public is influenced. Then add in interactions with people in daily life or reading random news stories.

And that's why so many parents name their babies after successful people or people that they admire in hopes that their child might be inspired to the same level of greatness.

Now my mother named her three daughters after three good friends from her college days. And since she knew that we'd be living in the US for the rest of our lives, she chose Western names for us instead of Chinese ones. She wanted us to feel comfortable in America. She also made sure that we learned to speak English well. She was a forward thinking woman and a good parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Euro American: how about just "American"? The Vice Chancellor of Germany IS German, of Vietnamese family tho.
And his name is of Vietnamese origin, not German. Do all Germans really consider him one of them?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And his name is of Vietnamese origin, not German. Do all Germans really consider him one of them?
Since you asked, "Do all Germans...", I can safely assume that the answer is a solid no.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's a boring anglo name.
Boring? Are you prejudiced against anglos or something?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Since you asked, "Do all Germans...", I can safely assume that the answer is a solid no.
Right. He's considered some type of "other." Just as "visible minorities" are discriminated against in many ways, subtle or not, in this country.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's a boring anglo name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Her reply reminds me of an acquaintance of mine who tags buildings... because otherwise they'd be boring boxes.

And I wonder how she shops. She probably would sooner buy something mediocre or even of poor quality if it had an exciting name or packaging.

But an exotic sounding name doesn't make any person better or cooler than they are. If they don't have true talent or skills, then they come across as a poseur or a fake.

And that's also no one is actually impressed with those wearing fake bling or huge CZ earrings. Y'all are just pathetic wannabees.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Based on some of her posts, I can assume she holds prejudice against whites. She claimed Stormfront was representative of the 200 million whites in America.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Right. He's considered some type of "other." Just as "visible minorities" are discriminated against in many ways, subtle or not, in this country.
Despite anyone's prejudiced beliefs, the man is still German because he's the freaking Vice-Chancellor of the country. So, he's obviously a citizen of Germany and speaks German. I'm pretty sure you have to be a citizen of Germany and a fluent German speaker to be Vice-Chancellor of Germany.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
People seem to only reject the term European American. Why? Because we're (Euro-Americans) supposed to be just white people while everyone else gets to be an "insert race here-American". Sorry, but I'll say European American (or Euro-American) when I want on this forum. No one ever uses it. Why am I just a white person while everyone else is African American, Asian American, Native American, and Hispanic/Latino American? It's not hard to acknowledge that white Americans originated from Europe; we didn't just fall from the sky.
I agree. Actually, I prefer using the term "European American" instead of "white" people. It's somewhat interesting that folks still cling to the terms ""white" and "black" to describe "European Americans" and "African Americans" respectively. In the past, "yellow" was used to describe "Asian Americans", "red" was used to describe "Native Americans/American Indians", and "brown" was used to describe "Hispanic/Latino Americans", etc.

Quote:
Don't know why you're going on about the German Chancellor, but whatever.
Perhaps, "Packard fan" meant to point out that the current Vice-Chancellor of Germany, Philipp Rösler, is of Vietnamese ancestry, but doesn't have a "Vietnamese-sounding" name.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Quote:
Read any number of her posts, she's definitely a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies