Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Would you have said "how about just American" had I said African American or Asian American? I doubt it. People seem to only reject the term European American. Why? Because we're (Euro-Americans) supposed to be just white people while everyone else gets to be an "insert race here-American". Sorry, but I'll say European American (or Euro-American) when I want on this forum. No one ever uses it. Why am I just a white person while everyone else is African American, Asian American, Native American, and Hispanic/Latino American? It's not hard to acknowledge that white Americans originated from Europe; we didn't just fall from the sky.
Because when the average "euro-American" walks down the street, no one doubts his or her "American-ness"

This is also true to a lesser extent for African Americans. But blacks are considered "others" by the virtue of their skin tone alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Despite anyone's prejudiced beliefs, the man is still German because he's the freaking Vice-Chancellor of the country. So, he's obviously a citizen of Germany and speaks German. I'm pretty sure you have to be a citizen of Germany and a fluent German speaker to be Vice-Chancellor of Germany.
Just like Obama is President of the United States. Of course, nobody here questions his Americanness or anything like that....................

Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because when the average "euro-American" walks down the street, no one doubts his or her "American-ness"

This is also true to a lesser extent for African Americans. But blacks are considered "others" by the virtue of their skin tone alone.
Even with all this, I think the writers of textbooks and such should at least use "European American" if they use "African American", "Asian American", etc. It's just fair and respectful if all groups have their heritage recognized in professional writings. All I see in textbooks is "African Americans and whites" or "South Asians and white people" or "Native Americans and whites". I find it not only inconsistent but also very bothersome. I don't expect the average Joe to say it regularly. Most people say "white" and "black". It would just be a little better if professional writings could be a little more considerate of white Americans' European heritage given they're so considerate of the heritage of each non-white racial group.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree. Actually, I prefer using the term "European American" instead of "white" people. It's somewhat interesting that folks still cling to the terms ""white" and "black" to describe "European Americans" and "African Americans" respectively. In the past, "yellow" was used to describe "Asian Americans", "red" was used to describe "Native Americans/American Indians", and "brown" was used to describe "Hispanic/Latino Americans", etc.

Perhaps, "Packard fan" meant to point out that the current Vice-Chancellor of Germany, Philipp Rösler, is of Vietnamese ancestry, but doesn't have a "Vietnamese-sounding" name.
It's weird how people think "brown", "red" and "yellow" are offensive, but "black" and "white" aren't. Native Americans aren't really red and Asians aren't really yellow. Africans aren't completely black and Europeans aren't completely white. With the exception of albinos, we're all pretty much different shades of brown. So, why not ditch both "black" and "white" since we ditched the terms "red", "yellow", and "brown"?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Just like Obama is President of the United States. Of course, nobody here questions his Americanness or anything like that....................
Yeah, it's pretty sad that people all of a sudden demand proof of citizenship from the first president with a skin color darker than peach. Surely his skin color has nothing to do with it though, right?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As a control they should have used white names like....

Joe Bob, Cleetus, Roscoe, Daisy May, Bubba and so forth.

Hollywood is LITTERED with stars that changed their names for various reasons.

Stage name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freddie Mercury, Anthony Quinn, Steven Tyler, Charlie Sheen......the list goes on and on and on.....
I think the study required the use of "real" names .. nice try tho'

Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Even with all this, I think the writers of textbooks and such should at least use "European American" if they use "African American", "Asian American", etc. It's just fair and respectful if all groups have their heritage recognized in professional writings. All I see in textbooks is "African Americans and whites" or "South Asians and white people" or "Native Americans and whites". I find it not only inconsistent but also very bothersome. I don't expect the average Joe to say it regularly. Most people say "white" and "black". It would just be a little better if professional writings could be a little more considerate of white Americans' European heritage given they're so considerate of the heritage of each non-white racial group.
Some scholars, such as Dr. Ronald L. Jackson (author of "The Negotiation of Cultural Identity: Perceptions of European Americans and African Americans"), do use the term "European American"; however, it's usage doesn't seem to be widespread outside of academic circles. Apparently, folks are more comfortable using the less precise terms "white", "white American", "Caucasian", "Caucasian American", "Anglo" and "Anglo American", instead of "European American."
European American - Wikipedia

Quote:
It's weird how people think "brown", "red" and "yellow" are offensive, but "black" and "white" aren't. Native Americans aren't really red and Asians aren't really yellow. Africans aren't completely black and Europeans aren't completely white. With the exception of albinos, we're all pretty much different shades of brown. So, why not ditch both "black" and "white" since we ditched the terms "red", "yellow", and "brown"?
I agree. Sadly, some folks don't want to retire the archaic "color terminology" for "race" and view terms, such as "European American", "African American", etc. as being "politically correct."

Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Some scholars, such as Dr. Ronald L. Jackson (author of "The Negotiation of Cultural Identity: Perceptions of European Americans and African Americans"), do use the term "European American"; however, it's usage doesn't seem to be widespread outside of academic circles. Apparently, folks are more comfortable using the less precise terms "white", "white American", "Caucasian", "Caucasian American", "Anglo" and "Anglo American", instead of "European American."
European American - Wikipedia

I agree. Sadly, some folks don't want to retire the archaic "color terminology" for "race" and view terms, such as "European American", "African American", etc. as being "politically correct."
African American is an ethnic term, not a racial one. European American is not ethnic, bit it is quasi-racial.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I like Ethnic names. But not made up ones that clearly they spelled out of their arse.

I love Casey-Australian
I love Jafar-Arabic
I love Ryan-Irish
I love Heidi-German
I love Julia-(pronounced Hula)Spanish
I love Maleena-Filipino
I love Ernesto-Dominican
I love Fredrick-British
I love Syway-Indian
I love Jungjin-Korean
I love Lemod-Jamaican

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I like Ethnic names. But not made up ones that clearly they spelled out of their arse.

I love Casey-Australian
I love Jafar-Arabic
I love Ryan-Irish
I love Heidi-German
I love Julia-(pronounced Hula)Spanish
I love Maleena-Filipino
I love Ernesto-Dominican
I love Fredrick-British
I love Syway-Indian
I love Jungjin-Korean
I love Lemod-Jamaican
I like Casey, Ryan, Julia and Heidi from that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies