Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times

Advertisements

Ethnic names are no different that horrible alternative spellings.

I don't see how a parent can't teach a child to be unique. The whole "I want them to be unique" sounds selfish and like the parent just wants attention.

WHY even give a kid a "boring and normal" name then jack up the spelling? Personally, I think it makes the parents look dumb and I feel sorry for the kids having to always correct spelling.

Adding apostrophes and dashes look stupid too. It's just a name.

Every person is unique not matter what they're called. I don't get WHY people don't understand this

Morgan is a unique little girl. Ashley is a unique little girl. (they're parents seem normal)

Mooreghan is a unique little girl. Ashleey is a unique little girl. (they're parents seem throwed off stupid and kind of selfish)

It's the same damn name. What's the big deal? That's not making her unique. That's making kindergarten teach can't wait to take a look at this parent who did that. The kid's the one who has to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
How on Earth did a name like Tyrone become a black name?

Co. Tyrone (pronounced Terone) is in Northern Ireland. It is a very old Irish name meaning the land of Eoghan.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Bye Felicia!

I bet we all know a black girl named Felicia with an attitude problem. lol.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
How on Earth did a name like Tyrone become a black name?

Co. Tyrone (pronounced Terone) is in Northern Ireland. It is a very old Irish name meaning the land of Eoghan.
How did any Irish or English or Scottish name become a "black" name?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm guessing many "Shanty Irish" had kids with poor Black people back in the day and some names just stuck. Tho a dude running for Scottsdale mayor at few years back with the last name "Washington" was an anglo white guy.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Yep, lots of so called "ethnic" and so called "ghetto" surnames are just names that are Arabic, Irish, French, Spanish etc.

Also, why don't whites, and even celebrities get called out for bastardization of their own names? Funny how such sentiments are bashed out on and upon negroidian roots. Pure hypocrisy

Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Placing an apostrophe between the O and B in Obama and capitalizing the B makes it an Irish name.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm guessing many "Shanty Irish" had kids with poor Black people back in the day and some names just stuck. Tho a dude running for Scottsdale mayor at few years back with the last name "Washington" was an anglo white guy.
Well that doesn't make sense because Irish people don't call their children Tyrone. It would be like calling your child Tipperary or Cork The only person I've heard called Tyrone was Tyrone Power the actor.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Placing an apostrophe between the O and B in Obama and capitalizing the B makes it an Irish name.
Have you heard that song There's No one as Irish as Barack Obama

Theres no one as Irish as Barack OBama- Corrigan Brothers - YouTube

Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Yep, lots of so called "ethnic" and so called "ghetto" surnames are just names that are Arabic, Irish, French, Spanish etc.

Also, why don't whites, and even celebrities get called out for bastardization of their own names? Funny how such sentiments are bashed out on and upon negroidian roots. Pure hypocrisy
I wouldn't find it strange if people are called Sean or Kevin but Tyrone is a bit unusual and the fact that it is called a "Black" name when it is an Irish county. Americans are a strange bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies