Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
McDonald's now says it going to cost them $420 million a year, almost a half billion $.

Look for that cost added to your burgers & fries also.
Well, I can't pity those who would complain about being in pain to buy burgers and fries from McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
A thoughtful rebuttal to this for those willing to read a few paragraphs. The Papa John's theoretical price increase is small, and it really represents just the reallocation of expenses already being paid by all of us as taxpayers. If Papa John's doesn't provide health insurance to its meagerly-earning employees, YOU will pick up that tab anyways when they get on SCHIP, Medicare, show up at the emergency room, etc. Now, those who actually consume Papa John's product will bear that cost, which is more fair than the entire body of tax-paying Americans bearing it.

This is the intellectually accurate way to look at it - most people just don't "notice" this to be a reallocation and incorrectly consider it to be an incremental increase because they are so used to their own perspective within the status quo.

Just two select portions:

Will Obamacare raise the price of your pizza? - CNN.com

Quote:
Let's circle back around to Papa John's, though. Part of what the act does is mandate that companies start providing health insurance to their employees or pay a penalty. Since some don't do that already, this will cost them money. They could take this out of profits or reduce the salaries of their executives, but they will probably do what every business does: They'll pass it on to the consumer.

This is as it should be. Some companies probably keep costs down by not providing comprehensive health benefits to their employees. Now, they will have to. I imagine some companies already do, which probably increases their costs, and now they will be on a more level playing field. Regardless, Papa John's is telling you that people who order its pizza will now bear the cost of its employees' health insurance.

Again -- as it should be! Should people who don't order Papa John's pizza have to pay for that insurance? That's what's happening now.

In 2004, for instance, more than half of Wal-Mart employees (PDF) did not get health care coverage through their jobs. More than a quarter of children of Wal-Mart employees therefore got their insurance through Medicaid or SCHIP. That means Wal-Mart didn't pay for their health insurance; taxpayers did. Moreover, every time an uninsured employee had to go to an emergency department and receive uncompensated care, who paid for that? The rest of us.

One last point. My kids happen to love Papa John's. Some Saturdays, when my wife and I go out, they will order pizza from there. The usual delivery runs about $20. According to Schnatter, the cost of health insurance to his employees might raise the price about 1%. If it had gone up twice that because of a pepperoni shortage, I doubt it would have made the news at all.

More than 30 million Americans will get insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Tens of millions more will be protected from underinsurance, annual and lifetime limits, and unfair price increases. If the downside of this is that my pizza costs 20 cents more, that seems a pretty small price to pay.

Last edited by ambient; 08-10-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
F40

826 posts, read 857,405 times
It's gonna cost them a lot more to change Their menus.

But maybe he was looking for an excuse to raise prices and blame it on President Obama. I'll bet his price increase will be more than .25 per pizza

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM

419 posts, read 465,876 times
I can bet a couple of pizzas that the executives there at Papa John's have had insurance coverage all along. Ambient is totally correct. We're paying for it anyway, so no big deal about the 15-20 cents more for pizza - I don't get my pizza there anyway. Never have understood why the right don't seem to mind providing full coverage healthcare for Iraqis, but mention helping an American taxpayer and it's argument time. It's especially foolish in that we ALREADY pay for it in the emergency room - and that is thanks to a republican, President Reagan.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think perhaps one only has to loo at the help provide and the cost to americans to see your statement is pure non-sense .I eman its driven proverty level to 18000 a year without any assitance ;which use to be a lower middle class income. Its driven no=-partication rates to record $$% of adult age workers. I really don't see whay mericans are willing to push debt on their children and grand children for stufff they want for free themselves. Look at the proposal now such as healthcare;veryone wants to charge the rich only for evry increase in spending.What they ca tax they want to borrow on future generation credit card;so to speak, Then they wander why a Tex Party tax movement.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps one only has to loo at the help provide and the cost to americans to see your statement is pure non-sense .I eman its driven proverty level to 18000 a year without any assitance ;which use to be a lower middle class income. Its driven no=-partication rates to record $$% of adult age workers. I really don't see whay mericans are willing to push debt on their children and grand children for stufff they want for free themselves. Look at the proposal now such as healthcare;veryone wants to charge the rich only for evry increase in spending.What they ca tax they want to borrow on future generation credit card;so to speak, Then they wander why a Tex Party tax movement.

Childless adults don't get assistance and thus don't get $18000 but they consume more healthcare in the long run than kids.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, I can't pity those who would complain about being in pain to buy burgers and fries from McDonalds.

That's certainly not the point.

You buy clothes, food, and cars among other things don't you?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM

19 posts, read 29,192 times
This topic is really well addressed by Aaron Carroll, a health economist.

Will Obamacare raise the price of your pizza? - CNN.com

Bsically, the concept is that right now, taxpayers pick up a whole lot of the bill, from Papa Johns employees who are paid minimum wage and qualify for Medicaid and SCHIP. Apparently this is the case for about 25% of Walmart employees, so I'd guess Papa Johns is similar, if not greater.

So this is exactly what we want as a nation - you pay more for the stuff that is going to cover healthcare, instead of paying it thru taxes. Much more efficient.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What about those that barely get by now?
The elderly, on fixed incomes.
Cost of many services will go up in cost and not just .15¢
But with all the obesity contributed by Papa John's and other fast food chains, think how many FEWER people will be around to see their PENSION. Obesity saves PENSION MONEY.

They should stick that on a sign in the windows at Papa John's. They could do an advertisement and make it a "Your country needs you"......"to become a lardarse" kind of soundbite, a kind of gorgefest the more you eat the less the deficit. Could lift Romney's sinking campaign from the depths of the deep blue and morpd it into one of those floating ballooned inflated liferaft type thingies and help sail that shipwrecked vessel to victory.

Maybe fast food chains and tubby lardarses are the only thing that has kept America's bloated healthcare system afloat all this time. Maybe such devotion to lard doesn't deserve an extra 0.15-0.25 a pizza.

I'm with the roly poly lardarses on this one. Obesity is good for the economy. Just like lax regulation and ready availability of guns helps keep the population down in deprived neighbourhoods. Think how much the Crips, the Bloods, Latin kings and the Mexican drug cartels SAVE the economy each year in Obamacare and future pensions.

These guys deserve a medal. And they may or may not collude to smuggle drugs and guns across the border from Mexico. I say 'allegedly' because I saw it on TV. And as John Fogerty once sang because of that fact "I know it to be true!"

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 08-10-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
My son worked at Papa John's as his first job. Most of the workers in the store were school age kids..HS and college.
These workers would still be covered under their parents.
Most of the delivery people did that as a second job so they would have had coverage under their first job.

Insurance was offered though to the workers.

Some comments here make it seem like these people need insurance, have no insurance and will end up on medicaid if Obamacare wasn't passed. Well the higher prices are due to the additional Obamacare costs because the insurance was offered to begin with.

And no, these types of workers don't run to the ER without insurance.
Guess which group run to the ER without insurance ? And they won't be covered under Obamacare. And they will still be running to the ER for medical care. And you will still be paying.

The next biggest users of the ER have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies