Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
And children are the highest contribution anyone can make to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,482,980 times
Quote:
The family, not the individual, is the foundation of every society. For this reason I have long proposed that only a designated head of household should be permitted to vote, and his vote should be weighted according to the number of people living under his roof.

For example:

Bill, a married father of two - four votes
Jane, a single mother of three - four votes
John, a married father of seven - nine votes
Lisa, a single college student living alone - one vote
George, a single college student with two roommates - three votes (George is the designated head of household, his roommates do not vote)

This also ensures that children, who have legitimate interests in the common good, are fairly represented at the ballot box.
You're assuming something that just isn't true. That our votes really count. Wall St. and big money decide elections, not the plebs who vote and bicker day in and day out about the evil Democrats and evil Republicans.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,581,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You don't much care for "one man, one vote," do you?
Nope. It's a bunch of egalitarian rubbish.

Quote:
And, apparently, you don't much care for women voting either because the majority of heads of household are men.
As they should be.

But it's not a perfect world. Women who are heads of household should be allowed to represent their families at the ballot box.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,167,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I am not aware that the family demographic is underrepresented the voting block. Just because Bob has 2 children, with one vote. . doesn't mean that the market research people and the politicians aren't aware of his segment and how to cater to him.

I've got a better idea, since it more accuratly reflects how the country is run

Annual Taxable income voting blocks
less than 50k (one vote per household)
51-100k (two votes per household)
101-200k (4 votes per household)
201-300k (16 votes per household)
301k-400k (256 votes per household)
401k-500k (65K votes per household)
501k and above (429K votes per household)
You've got this one right

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
It was a better system for the nation, when only property owners could vote.

A smart man once said: When the people realize they can vote themselves the nations treasury, the experiment will end in a bloody mess.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,448,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
You're assuming something that just isn't true. That our votes really count. Wall St. and big money decide elections, not the plebs who vote and bicker day in and day out about the evil Democrats and evil Republicans.

If you don't really think you're vote counts, why bother either voting or participating on the political boards?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
Quote:
The family, not the individual, is the foundation of every society. For this reason I have long proposed that only a designated head of household should be permitted to vote, and his vote should be weighted according to the number of people living under his roof.

For example:

Bill, a married father of two - four votes
Jane, a single mother of three - four votes
John, a married father of seven - nine votes
Lisa, a single college student living alone - one vote
George, a single college student with two roommates - three votes (George is the designated head of household, his roommates do not vote)

This also ensures that children, who have legitimate interests in the common good, are fairly represented at the ballot box.
No, this country was founded on the securing of individual liberty and not collectivism.

May I introduce you to the 26th Amendment?

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 26 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,562,913 times
My household doesn't have a head. It consists of me and my wife. Neither one of us is the head of the household, we are equal.

What a ridiculous suggestion.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Only when you allow them. Why would you do that?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,482,980 times
Quote:
If you don't really think you're vote counts, why bother either voting or participating on the political boards?
I don't vote when given the choice between two (maybe 3) idiots. I find it useful to express my displeasure here and at demonstrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies