Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
First, we are not a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.

Secondly, what section of the Constitution do you believe this would violate? If your answer is the 15th or 19th Amendment, you better try again. That does not guarantee a right to vote, they simply deal with prohibiting voting due to race or gender.
You'd like to take away the right to vote of an old elderly retired person? Let's say they live in a retirement home or with family and don't pay any federal taxes or property taxes themselves. So what, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Good luck getting support for that one...

What about the temporarily unemployed? Say you work 20 years non-stop, get laid off, and don't find work for a year and thus don't pay income taxes the following year. No vote for them either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Really? Do people that are sitting at home collecting public assistance and food stamps and not actively looking for work actively contribute to our society? Are they going to vote for leaders who could actually help the country or are they going to vote for leaders that will provide them with more government handouts?

There are tons of people that don't "have a skin in the game." They shouldn't be allowed to vote. Unless you contribute to society by working and paying taxes or owning property and paying taxes, you shouldn't vote.

Well, lemme see about me.

I don't work or pay income taxes. I DID work for more than 30 years and paid my taxes like everyone else. That doesn't count though, does it? After all, since I'm not working now, I have no skin in the game. Right?

My income is Veteran's Administration disability and Social Security. None of it is taxable, so I have no skin in the game.

I own a house, but don't pay property taxes because my state allows a 100% exemption for disabled Veteran's. But, since I'm not working or paying taxes, that doesn't count either, huh? No skin in the game.

The only work I actually do is volunteer work, for which I receive no pay and which can't be taxed. I travel from one end of the country and sometimes to foreign nations doing that work and mostly at my own expense. But..again, no skin in the game.

I'm a non-producing deadbeat, a drag on the taxpayers, a low-life, benefit-sucking cheat who doesn't deserve to vote....at least according to you.

Right?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM

390 posts, read 265,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You'd like to take away the right to vote of an old elderly retired person? Let's say they live in a retirement home or with family and don't pay any federal taxes or property taxes themselves. So what, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Good luck getting support for that one...

What about the temporarily unemployed? Say you work 20 years non-stop, get laid off, and don't find work for a year and thus don't pay income taxes the following year. No vote for them either?
I am a firm believer in the ONLY people voting should be property owners and those who actually have a tax liability. What we have now is a large number of non contributors voting for whoever promises them more of other peoples money. That is contradictory to the idea of freedom and success.

Voting could be a reward for finally finding a job for those who are unemployed.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Property owner who pays taxes, worker that pays taxes, or part of a household where the primary breadwinner is a taxpayer and you are one of his/her dependents.
What exactly do you mean by "property owner", people who are financing property or people who have bought and paid for it? Many people choose to rent for good reason and most "homeowners" don't actually own their homes. What happens to people who can no longer "contribute" due to a disability? Don't you think volunteer work or serving in the military are contributing whether you own a home or not? None of that really matters anyway, it just isn't going to happen - that would be regression. Been there done that and we won't allow it to happen again.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
I am a firm believer in the ONLY people voting should be property owners and those who actually have a tax liability. What we have now is a large number of non contributors voting for whoever promises them more of other peoples money. That is contradictory to the idea of freedom and success.

Voting could be a reward for finally finding a job for those who are unemployed.
So I guess since I've chosen to be a renter I wouldn't get to vote under your plan? Even if I pay state and federal taxes the years I don't get a refund? I didn't want to buy property just out of college last decade when home prices were going through the roof and I've actually been able to build up my savings because of it.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What do you mean by " having skin in the game"?
I wonder if he meant "skin color".

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM

390 posts, read 265,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So I guess since I've chosen to be a renter I wouldn't get to vote under your plan? Even if I pay state and federal taxes the years I don't get a refund? I didn't want to buy property just out of college last decade when home prices were going through the roof and I've actually been able to build up my savings because of it.
If you actually PAID taxes without having 100% of your withholdings refunded, then you should vote.

I already stated that above. Property owners and those who have a tax liability.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM

89,020 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I wonder if he meant "skin color".
Isn't the color of money the same no matter who pays federal income tax with it?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We're already there. 51% of tax units pay NO federal income tax whatsoever. Furthermore, 30% of tax units actually get MORE money from the federal government than they pay in income tax.

All documented, here:http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

(Tax unit: an individual, or a married couple who are eligible to file a tax return jointly, including all dependents of that individual or married couple.)

How's that working out for the country?

What did George W Bush expect when he proposed Tax Cuts for Parents? (SM)

A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays over $500/yr in federal income tax, while parents get big(ger) tax breaks thanks to Bush.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Isn't the color of money the same no matter who pays federal income tax with it?
Yep - and everyones blood is the same color also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies