Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is the U.S. such a violent nation?
black on black crime 51 19.62%
Gov't has failed to adequately provide the less fortunate with the resources needed to succeed 56 21.54%
lack of police funding / laws not enforced strongly enough 33 12.69%
violent culture glorified by Hollywood, rap music and/or and popular culture in general 98 37.69%
I don't believe the U.S. is a violent nation. 54 20.77%
Other please explain 49 18.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,441,921 times

Advertisements

amazing how most people blame violence on the media when many other countries watch the same movies and tv shows that are made here, play the same video games, listen to hip hop, etc.... So was the violent Wild West culture back in the day b/c of the media too? So what was all the death and violence before 1950 or 1900 caused by? movies? newspapers? telegrams? I can't believe people are that stupid to blame the US's violence on the media.

It's so easy to try to blame other people or things rather than look at ourselves as the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
This thread is so stupid.

Violence is a part of life. Humans are animals. That's reality. Why is there so much violence in America, because we're still free and have the masculine nature to fight.

Any of you crybabies complaining about it should be on your knees thanking God that there are still people willing to be violent... because when that part of our American culture is gone, you're going to be worshipping Allah.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,254,321 times
Don't have the time to go through 12 pages of posts, but it seems that it's violent because the state creates an atmosphere of violence in this country.

We have a state that says it's ok to go to war for things like the president seeking revenge for something some foreign leader may or may not have tried to do to his daddy. We have a state that kills people through the death penalty, thus dehumanizing the entire prison staff, judicial system, and anyone who really bothers to watch the news on a consistent basis. The list goes on.

While I agree it's absurd to say that the average violent criminal ponders issues of war and peace and U.S. foreign policy as he commits his crime, I believe that the state, and by extension the American people have created an atmosphere that fosters violence.

It's not at all about guns, very little about Hollywood, and certainly not about the need for more police. It's about mentality and why we let the state to behave in the way that it does.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,379,386 times
Its dont necessarily think the US is overly violent, but it stands to reason that violence will exist in a free country. Personally I wouldn't trade an ounce of freedom for a pound of the false security that more repressive countries provide.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,192,308 times
Like Europe or Japan or Korea or... you get the picture. These are more repressive countries?
Why do you think that all other countries have "false security"? What gives you this opinion?

The Brits have a violence problem, too.
Personally, I think violence comes from speaking English.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Like Europe or Japan or Korea or... you get the picture. These are more repressive countries?

The Brits have a violence problem. Personally, I think violence comes from speaking English.
Cite sources for comparative violence.

I can tell you from personal experience, Japan and Korea are very, very repressive. However, it's a self-induced cultural repression. When you're immersed, it's very hard as an American to cope with the mental hardship resulting from those cultures. The governments don't need to oppress them... they do it to themselves. It's an awful existence...

Old 05-20-2008, 05:14 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,681,753 times
Quote:
And Britain is becoming more and more of a melting pot each day with refugees and such... much like the US. Connect the dots. People are sick of clashing cultures and bullets are the best way to solve that problem I guess.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,564,988 times
You'd have to define why you think it's a violent country in the first place, we do have substantial amount of inner-city crimes but we also have one of the largest numbers of pacifists who give up everything they have to volunteer in other nations for a measly pay such as the Peace Corp.

Secondly if you compare the United States to Japan, Germany, etc. we are a lot more pluralistic not just in the sense of race but also social-economic divide, being a large country we also have greater regional difference (ie. West, South, North). Putting them all together does not necessairly mean a harmonious "melting pot" but for the most part social dysfunction. Last but not least, if you speak of our nations history in War, that is a culture which Eisenhower called "The military industrial complex" and Roosevelt called "The World Police". We have a political climate to stabilize certain zones in the world, which I would leave to another thread but whether it is war or creating stabilization "peace" you can debate that.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,678,336 times
Quote:
Why do you think that all other countries have "false security"? What gives you this opinion?

Non of the countrys you mentioned (in particuler Asian) have a society thats even close to the US. No where in the world are so many different Races,creeds and cultures living together in one country with so LITTLE violence.......

Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,192,308 times
There is no excuse for the violence in the US.
Why are you apologizing for bad behavior?

People in the US don't accept responsibility for their actions.
Life is apparently cheap and violence is a way for people to steal what they want.
I believe that's a social problem more than anything.

Why did Tin Knocker think that all other countries are "more repressive?"

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-20-2008 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies