Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is the U.S. such a violent nation?
black on black crime 51 19.62%
Gov't has failed to adequately provide the less fortunate with the resources needed to succeed 56 21.54%
lack of police funding / laws not enforced strongly enough 33 12.69%
violent culture glorified by Hollywood, rap music and/or and popular culture in general 98 37.69%
I don't believe the U.S. is a violent nation. 54 20.77%
Other please explain 49 18.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Interesting, I'll have to google that sometime.

Even if the U.K. is a violent nation, it still leaves questions unanswered for the U.S. The general theory that poverty breeds crime doesn't seem to apply in the U.S. Our poor would live like kings in most of the rest of the world.

BTW thanks for the changes moderators.
Yes it does apply to the US. The US is a capitalistic Nation. There is poor and there is rich and the poor live nothing like the rich.

Being that we live in a capitalistic system many poor folks do not have access to proper health care, housing (over 1.4 Million CHILDREN are homeless in the US), and a quality education to succeed and move forward in life. Also because of there lack of education and the fact they live in a depressed area with no proper infrastructure they have no job. The US has very low Mobilarity.

However the poor DO have easy acsess to guns, drugs and they also know how to get money. How do you get money in the ghetto?

1. You sell crack on a corner and if someone steps to you, you kill them because if you don't other dealers will know you are soft and they will take you out.
Yo

2. You rob people who have more money than you. Being that this is the US its easy to find currency if you are poor, just hard to find it legally. You stick up a rich kid an he puts up a fight so you shoot him in the face out of panic.

There, I just described 2 scenarios for how someone a normal person becomes a murderer.
When your living on the streets and theres others on the streets who want the little that you have the mentality is do or die. Trust what I am telling you.
I am from the ghetto, I come from 6 generations of poverty. I have robbed people before for money to buy rahmen noodles for me and my family. I have hurt people so I could appear tuff so I wouldn't be victimized by others, and ive almost been killed myself 2 times.

People wanna blame the media and Hip Hop. The US was very violent waaaaay before Rap Music came out. Ever Heared of the Murder Inc Boys from Brownsville in the 1920's? La Costra Nostra? Violence was worse back than than it is now in some respects.

There is ALOT of reasons why violence is so bad here. Theres not enough room here for me to write them all down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Yes it does apply to the US. The US is a capitalistic Nation. There is poor and there is rich and the poor live nothing like the rich.

Being that we live in a capitalistic system many poor folks do not have access to proper health care, housing (over 1.4 Million CHILDREN are homeless in the US), and a quality education to succeed and move forward in life. Also because of there lack of education and the fact they live in a depressed area with no proper infrastructure they have no job. The US has very low Mobilarity.

However the poor DO have easy acsess to guns, drugs and they also know how to get money. How do you get money in the ghetto?

1. You sell crack on a corner and if someone steps to you, you kill them because if you don't other dealers will know you are soft and they will take you out.
Yo

2. You rob people who have more money than you. Being that this is the US its easy to find currency if you are poor, just hard to find it legally. You stick up a rich kid an he puts up a fight so you shoot him in the face out of panic.

There, I just described 2 scenarios for how someone a normal person becomes a murderer.
When your living on the streets and theres others on the streets who want the little that you have the mentality is do or die. Trust what I am telling you.
I am from the ghetto, I come from 6 generations of poverty. I have robbed people before for money to buy rahmen noodles for me and my family. I have hurt people so I could appear tuff so I wouldn't be victimized by others, and ive almost been killed myself 2 times.

People wanna blame the media and Hip Hop. The US was very violent waaaaay before Rap Music came out. Ever Heared of the Murder Inc Boys from Brownsville in the 1920's? La Costra Nostra? Violence was worse back than than it is now in some respects.

There is ALOT of reasons why violence is so bad here. Theres not enough room here for me to write them all down.
Okay you are right about poverty and being poor however YOU have CHOICES and you don't have to resort to crack selling; robbing; and killing. That is not what being black is about and it is NOT an EXCUSE. Most black folks didn't grow up with a silver spoon in their mouths. Back when I was growing up, we didn't have much, my Mother raised 4 children without our fathers. We didn't have the finer things but we had EACH OTHER. We had Grandmother/Grandfather/Uncle/Aunts, etc. We all leaned on each other for support and worked for what we wanted. Yes, some chose a life of crime, but that is exactly what it was, THEIR CHOICE. It's not where they came from and it most certainly was NOT how they were raised. Herein lies the problem, the FAMILY STRUCTURE! Babies having babies and Self Pride has diminished. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get my drift.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,365 times
We are not a violent nation.

If you Go to any state and look at their crime rates, I can guarantee you those crimes would mostly be isolated to a few zip codes, and those zip codes will fall under bigger cities. In Dallas, we had bad crime rates but all the crime was in two zip code areas, even though there were over 20 zip codes.

Because the crime is so bad in certain areas, an entire city or state looks bad, although it is only the fault of certain bad neighborhoods.

If you eliminated those zip codes with the bad crime, our country would have very low crime statistics.

So if I had to blame it on anything, it would be black on black crime, and not enough police enforcement in those localized areas. Black people in inner-cities are culturally different, which is why so many cause crimes. It has nothing to do with race persay, just their culture.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
We are not a violent nation.

If you Go to any state and look at their crime rates, I can guarantee you those crimes would mostly be isolated to a few zip codes, and those zip codes will fall under bigger cities. In Dallas, we had bad crime rates but all the crime was in two zip code areas, even though there were over 20 zip codes.

Because the crime is so bad in certain areas, an entire city or state looks bad, although it is only the fault of certain bad neighborhoods.

If you eliminated those zip codes with the bad crime, our country would have very low crime statistics.

So if I had to blame it on anything, it would be black on black crime, and not enough police enforcement in those localized areas. Black people in inner-cities are culturally different, which is why so many cause crimes. It has nothing to do with race persay, just their culture.
Violent Nation - as in Americas history is centered around violence

Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
U.S. culture is driven by competition.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 45,490 times
Boy, I thought this was a slam dunk: I believe that if we have very stiff penalties, crime will decrease. It's the libertarian philosophy. Tough penalties create a safer enviornment. Don't harm me, and I won't harm you. If you do harm me, the penalty will be so great, you will not be able to do it again. I like it, sort of keeps us all in check.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
Boy, I thought this was a slam dunk: I believe that if we have very stiff penalties, crime will decrease. It's the libertarian philosophy. Tough penalties create a safer enviornment. Don't harm me, and I won't harm you. If you do harm me, the penalty will be so great, you will not be able to do it again. I like it, sort of keeps us all in check.
Singapore. Hands chopped off for stealing, 30 beats to the back with a cane for littering. Castration for rape I believe. Etcetera.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
I believe that if we have very stiff penalties, crime will decrease. It's the libertarian philosophy. Tough penalties create a safer enviornment.
Quote:
Singapore. Hands chopped off for stealing, 30 beats to the back with a cane for littering. Castration for rape I believe. Etcetera.
Basically what I said earlier, the only problem is that we are plagued with crooked cops; broken justice system that unfortunately this sort of justice wouldn't work - unless they were subjected to the same punishment of course!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 45,490 times
Quote:
I'm all for the castration in cases of rape, particularly those involving children.

But I don't follow the rest? So, has chopping off hands in Singapore curbed stealing? How about caning for vandalizing? I thought that did work well as a deterrant over there. Am I wrong?

I should say that in some cases stealing is warranted, as in cases of starvation. So, obviously I would never endorse and/or condone chopping off hands in the case of stealing for survival. Just wanted to clarify.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
For the most part I agree with you, but one major point I feel I must make - though it's the police's job to contain the violence or at least enforce the law, I don't see the police as being the good guys. In my personal experience, most cops have a certain type of personality - the type of personality that likes to bully or intimidate people. In other words, at best cops are the lesser of the two evils (they're only *slightly* better than criminals); at worst I feel like the police are criminals themselves who get away with doing the same stuff criminals do by hiding under the umbrella of the legal system and a good ol' boy network in every respective major city in the U.S. Not saying you or any of your C.O. buddies or any other law enforcement official is a bad guy, but let's be real - many, if not most cops are basically bullies with badges. They tend to be the type of people who get a power trip from their job and that's why they do it despite the crappy pay in almost every police jurisdiction, particularly the ones where they're "working" the hardest.
While I'll be the first one to admit there are cops and corrections officers that have attitude problems, it's the job that gives them the attitude problem. It's an extremely tough job that very few people can do. And I admit it's one of the reasons I quit. I looked around the jail and saw the way it affected people who stuck around for five or ten years. When you spend every minute of every work day around some of the most disgusting people you can imagine it eventually has an effect on you.

But I also have to admit many of the problems people have with the police can be avoided altogether if the subject in question simply said, '...yes sir, and did what he was told..." It is a two way street.

Quote:
I'm by no means militant, but as a young black man born and raised in the inner city, I know that this is a sad reality in America today and I feel it's something that must be said. For those of you who are curious, I did vote in this poll - I picked black on black crime as well as government's callousness toward poor minorites as being the main culprits for violence in America. MiamiRob's point about the U.S. always being a violent country is one I hadn't thought of but I wish I had - from the slave ships traversing the Middle Passage and the virtual genocide of hundreds of Native American tribes throughout the present day United States, to the present day where we wage wars on countries we *think* might attack us sometime in the future, this country was literally founded on violence and lives by violence. Violence begets violence and in America we live by the sword and will die by the sword, as MiamiRob pointed out.
I agree the US has a violent history. But I think almost every single nation on the plant does as well. Including the indian nations. But we also have a history of helping people and nations in a way no other country has ever in the history of the planet. Did the US make some mistakes growing up? Of course. But we were and still are a young country. But look around the globe. Take Japan for an example, compared to us they have practically no violent crime at all. And they have an extemely brutal past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies