Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is the U.S. such a violent nation?
black on black crime 51 19.62%
Gov't has failed to adequately provide the less fortunate with the resources needed to succeed 56 21.54%
lack of police funding / laws not enforced strongly enough 33 12.69%
violent culture glorified by Hollywood, rap music and/or and popular culture in general 98 37.69%
I don't believe the U.S. is a violent nation. 54 20.77%
Other please explain 49 18.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
gun control would do nothing to change that. people who want guns can get them regardless of the laws.

Also keep in mind that not everyone who kills someone uses a gun. Knives, bats, steeltoe boots, and even a fist are know to kill. A person could committ murder with a pencil(and it can be graphite too) if used in such a manner. Anyone who wants to committ murder will find a way. A gun just causes murder faster and with more deliberate speed. A person can committ murder by hitting someone with a car(and that happens too). If a bullett hits you, it has to hit you in a certain place to kill or severely maim you. A car is heavier and made of metal. If you get hit by a car, a bone fracture is certain at the least and death at the worst, especially if you get hit and fall on you head(or get hit another way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I think another reason for so much violence in any society is the lack of respect of human life and selfishness. When a person doens't respect human life, it won't matter if a gun or one's fist is used. I also believe there is a culture of vengeance in the USA. Whenever someone is vengeant, a person could do anything horrible.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
OTHER:

America was founded on violence and it will probably end itself in violence. From Presidential assassinations to lynching blacks to dropping atomic bombs to the countless wars we've been involved we are a violent people. It seems ingrained in us sadly.
Yes, this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. I will also agree with the opinion that we have, for a very long time now (since the New Deal, in fact) a political enviornment that supports the wealthy and powerful while expecting the underadvantaged to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". Certainly, our history of troubled racial relationship adds to the mix of "problems", as well. We now have a chance to begin to correct these problems. Remember, the American people, in general, are not against those wars that they see as truly just (WW11; Afghanastan), but they have clearly decided that wars that seem to be motivated by "gain" (Vietnam, Iraq) are unsupportable!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,620 times
Since I do not live in any of America's murder capitals (Detroit, St. Louis, Compton, Atlanta, Washington D.C, Philadelphia, Newark, Oakland, Gary, Camden, Baltimore, New Orleans, Memphis, Flint, etc) I do not think the United States is a very violent country because the America that I live in is totally different from urban innercity America. I live in a suburb that looks like it came out straight out of the tv show "Eight Is Enough".

Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I'd like to get a good, candid discussion on why the United States is such a violent nation compared to other "First World" (i.e. nations that are equally as wealthy as we are) nations such as those in Western Europe and East Asia. I look forward to the discussion but I'm also doing this for a survey in my research paper, so please respond to the poll.

You can vote for more than one option on this poll. I understand this is a complex issue and there is no single answer to this question, just as I'm sure there is no single solution.
What makes you think the U.S. is such a violent nation compared to others?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I think Colin Powell nailed it just last Sunday, on "Meet Tom Brokaw".

This applies in our own cities and towns as well as it applies globally:::

" We need to increase the amount of resources we put into our development programs to help the rest of the world. Because when you help the poorest in the world, you start to move them up an economic and social ladder, and they’re not going to be moving toward violence or terrorism of the kind that we worry about."

Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
There is plenty of places far more violent than the United States. We're not perfect but neither are most other highly industrialized, econonomically, religiously, and racially-diverse nations of a few hundred million people.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,564 times
The bottom line is this is another stupid question trying to belittle the united states.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
We are lacking the Family Unit. We are a society of dysfunction. We need to invest in each other. Stop defining ourselves by things and put people first and things last. We need to promote living within our means and stop promoting "Keeping up with the Joneses." Cleaning up the T.V. programming and getting rid of the inappropriate reality shows and replacing them with value oriented and educational shows. The T.V programs of today keep pushing the envelope a little further and further to the point where they are so out of control. And we wonder what's gone wrong. Learn to respect each others differences and look beyond the variations of our earth suits. Learn to control our ego and not let it get the best of us.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times
I ain't even gonna start. You will wanna read what I have to put, but unfortunately its too graphic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies