Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm assuming you're a man, because that's a presumptious thing to say. For many women the pregnancy is all part of the joy of motherhood, morning sickness and all, it's a connection to another human being that we men can never experience.

I'm a woman. Pregnancy is a very dangerous medical condition. We have already covered all the of the major medical issues that can come with pregnancy in various abortion threads.

And many women do not want to be mothers, ever or until they are older and ready to do so. I do not believe that women should be forced to carry a baby full term.

And I do know many women who rather not be pregnant, if the technology exists where they can have their own baby, but do not have to go through the entire process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Well it's different depending on the woman of course. I was just pointing out it was presumptuous to say that ALL women would trade the pregnancy experience if they could. This society just values what is easy and convenient, but sometimes forgets by doing so some things lose their meaning. I mean I'm just throwing it out there but I think actually nourishing a baby in the womb probably means more than watching it grow in some artificial laboratory test tube.
In the romanticized context, I agree. There are symbols and meanings beyond the literal situation in many situations. Wouldn't it be boring if all we had was the concrete world?

Ahem... if somebody chooses the tube, that would be fine. It seems like they would be losing something in a transcendental sense, though.

Regardless, though, lives would be saved from the oblivion of the void. The void where nothing is...

Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 AM

629 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post

Regardless, though, lives would be saved from the oblivion of the void. The void where nothing is...
I'm pretty sure we all end up there eventually.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Well it's different depending on the woman of course. I was just pointing out it was presumptuous to say that ALL women would trade the pregnancy experience if they could. This society just values what is easy and convenient, but sometimes forgets by doing so some things lose their meaning. I mean I'm just throwing it out there but I think actually nourishing a baby in the womb probably means more than watching it grow in some artificial laboratory test tube.
Way back when life was thought to have burdens for each sex, for men it was the draft and the possibility of maiming and death, for women it was the nausea and horrendous pain in delivering a child. No, I do not think many women would opt for that at all, if given a choice. If men ever went through that experience, they would also look for a better way. A lot of the warm fuzzies concerning pregnancy is hype, in my opinion, to brainwash women to more easily face the inevitable.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Genetically speaking, a woman who has the mentality to believe that abortion is akin to getting a bad tooth pulled -may not produce an offspring that is worth saving. It might be natures way of removing undesirable potential human beings...Abortion is a criminal act...My daughter recently pointed out - that since abortion was legalized- the over all crime rate has dropped thirty years later...Those that abort may just be plain stupid...and do we really need more stupid people that will become criminals?

Of course I am playing the devil's advocate here....I do like the idea that the thread starter mentioned about potential great thinkers not being born...cos' in the alternative - stupidity has increase in the last thirty years...we seem to have a shortage of bright people...I would also say that abortion has messed up the genetic pool ...The premise is that woman and men who opt for abortion are inferior...This MUST be the assumption of elitist pro-abortionists...If they thought that the offspring of these people would be of value- they would discourage abortion...apparently the pro-choice crowd think all poor people are stupid.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 AM

629 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Genetically speaking, a woman who has the mentality to believe that abortion is akin to getting a bad tooth pulled -may not produce an offspring that is worth saving. It might be natures way of removing undesirable potential human beings...Abortion is a criminal act...My daughter recently pointed out - that since abortion was legalized- the over all crime rate has dropped thirty years later...Those that abort may just be plain stupid...and do we really need more stupid people that will become criminals?

Of course I am playing the devil's advocate here....I do like the idea that the thread starter mentioned about potential great thinkers not being born...cos' in the alternative - stupidity has increase in the last thirty years...we seem to have a shortage of bright people...I would also say that abortion has messed up the genetic pool ...The premise is that woman and men who opt for abortion are inferior...This MUST be the assumption of elitist pro-abortionists...If they thought that the offspring of these people would be of value- they would discourage abortion...apparently the pro-choice crowd think all poor people are stupid.
Neither of these statements make any sense because most women who have abortions have children at some point in their lives.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

I have to LMAO at feeble attempts of reverse psychology psychobabble like this.

If pro-lifers think this kind of hogwash is going to change a woman's mind about abortion......it just goes to show that they really DO think women are too feeble-minded to make their own health care decisions.....that those decisions should be left in the hands of legislators......for women's own good, of course.

Maybe, just maybe, the crime rates went down because children are no longer forced upon women who are not ready to have, or simply do not want...... a child.

Last edited by Annie53; 09-11-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
The greatest amount of crime is committed by young males. The one thing that most of them have in common is a home with no dad.

It stands to reason that if young women are given goals to work for in the future and ways to access them, they will not opt to be a single parent if they get pregnant and will abort, bringing down the future crime rate. It is a win-win-win, all around.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
People of both parties should make better use of existing contraceptive technology. There would be many fewer unwanted pregnancies that way.

Quote:
I'll begin by stating that I am prolife. I am aware that abortion must sometimes be performed to save the life of the mother. I am also aware that many mothers who are raped may not wish to keep the baby. The second situation has an obvious solution in my view, adoption. But what about the first? What if instead of destroying the fetus and/or embryo to save the mother's life, the fetus and/or embryo could be sent to a lab where the child could be allowed to continue to grow and thrive and develop in a laboratory setting? If such a program where adopted, millions of lives of potential great thinkers. This would preserve the woman's right to choose and live while allowing the baby a chance of life as well.
What a dumb idea. Humans need no help being more prolific breeders; the preponderance of fertility clinics is enough - the last thing we need to do is fund ways to grow babies in labratories. Plenty of other real needs could researched to develop useful life enhancing technology rather than have it being done for a manufactered "problem" like this.

Quote:
PS: To understand at least part of my philosophical standing, use this analogy: Imagine a developing baby, a symbol of unlimited potential, is developing both mentally and physically inside its mother. Then, before being given a chance to live- in the sense of being denied the right to see the rainbow, to smell a rose, to taste chocolate- is snuffed out due to reasons beyond what its innocent mind can comprehend. Imagine if this baby was you.
Imagine my sperm, a symbol of unlimited potential, is waiting to impregnate a potential mother. Then, before being given a chance to fertilize- in the sense of being denied the right to swim its destined journey...the journey for which it exists!- is snuffed out beyond what it's innocent mind can comprehend. Imagine if this sperm could one day give fertization to you - could have been you. Or whatever. My little poem makes just about as philosophical sense as the previous one, ha ha.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Forget technology - abstinence is 100% effective when it is practiced.

Don't want a baby? - Keep your clothes on in bed.
Promises break more often then condoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies