Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM

172 posts, read 422,803 times

Advertisements

..but that's not enough for some of 'em, they want to be revered and ensconced in our history books as well.

Few of us have the chutzpah, let alone assets and influence to level a perfectly nice multimillion dollar property in a neighborhood of rich NIMBY-ites. This fellow sure ain't no chip off the ole block (and burger buying photo ops at small town eateries doesn't make a citizen Kane a regular fellow among his peers). My neighbors and myself have been trying for almost a year to get the bank and our town to do something about an abandoned house on our street that is overgrown with weeds and dried, dead plants which is a serious eyesore and contributing to make it harder for several of us to try to sell our properties - but thus far our town and the bank that hold the loan have blown us off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite disappointed with the Obama administration results after four grinding years, but my having a scintilla of respect for Heir/Herr Romney is not going to happen by my measure.

We desperately need a leader with the wit of Will Rogers and the sharp elbows of a LBJ to break-up the gridlocked ninety days off a year, gold-plated benefits and healthcare politicians who speak out of both sides of their mouths and change persona as often to suit their needs as the Woody Allen Zelig character.

Romneys Fought for Lower Property Taxes for La Jolla, CA Home | Zillow Blog

Last edited by bongofury; 08-12-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Initially, the Romneys asked that their 2009 assessment, $12.24 million, be reduced to $6.8 million, maintaining that their home had lost about 45 percent of its value in the first seven months they owned it.

Thirteen months later, after hiring an attorney to guide them, the Romneys filed an amended appeal, contending the home had suffered a less-dramatic fall of 27.3 percent, to $8.9 million.

They also filed an appeal for the 2010 tax year, claiming the house had dropped further, to $7.5 million, 38.7 percent less than the home’s assessed value.

As a result, the Romneys have saved about $109,000 in property taxes over four years
So what? We aren't rich or powerful, I'm a teacher, and we successfully filed an assessment appeal on property we bought less than a year after purchase. Lots of people do.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
The neighbors on my block and myself have been trying for almost a year to get the bank and our town to do something about an abandoned house on our street that is overgrown with weeds and dried, dead plants which is a serious eyesore and contributing to make it harder for several of us to try to sell our properties - but thus far our town and the bank that hold the loan have blown us off.
And you could bulldoze it if you owned it. How is this comparable to Romney wanting to bulldoze his own property?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM

One may or may not raze their property depending on HOA rules, county, local laws in their area, but I was pointing to an irony in my mind, that a candidate whose party platform is in large measure to shrink government and government programs that in some cases service mostly those on lower economic end while in his life knowing no bounds to his own material largess. While ones' spiritual laws may not expressively forbid or discourage such behaviors, I would hope for better moral character from one seeking to lead the whole flock. I can certainly also point out characteristics of the Obama administration that are upsetting to me, but in this post my criticism were directed at the want-to-be guy.

Toughest choice in many elections for me - the "success in business means success in government" guy or the "change-I-no-longer-believe-in" guy.

Last edited by bongofury; 08-12-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
The fact is many homes are sold for "lot value" and our prime candidates for demolishing. You do not have to be wealthy to engage in such an action. How someone can say such an action reflects on anyone's moral character is beyond me.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Millions of people protest their property tax bill every year and most of them aren't rich.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Romney is not part of the wealthy and powerful. The truly wealthy and powerful hide in the shadows.
They are not in the media for all to know their names.
They wield their power through the think tanks which influence government and education for change.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Millions of people protest their property tax bill every year and most of them aren't rich.
I'm one of them.

Born at Stanford Hospital in early fifties.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And you could bulldoze it if you owned it. How is this comparable to Romney wanting to bulldoze his own property?
Hello. You're the right-leaning moderate? I'm a left-leaning moderate. Which means there are few candidates I feel like voting for.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Romney is not part of the wealthy and powerful. The truly wealthy and powerful hide in the shadows.
They are not in the media for all to know their names.
They wield their power through the think tanks which influence government and education for change.
I think I understand what you mean. Many of the most powerful guard their privacy and would never venture into the public arena of politics. I know when I was living on the Upper East Side in a shoebox size sublet when my wife was going through cancer treatments and surgery at Sloan-Kettering that I was likely passing many people on the streets everyday richer than Romney. My wife loved almost everyone and cared less which party they were in. She's often in my thoughts and I miss her dearly everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies