Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,837,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The left may be at times unrealistic, but they are neither dangerous nor insane.
Yee and Stienberg are both.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Any form of extremism is not a good thing.
I disagree. Change of the status quo demands extremism.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM

502 posts, read 714,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Today they are the single greatest threat to democracy this nation has ever seen.

Why Democracy Fails - Animation - YouTube

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I disagree. Change of the status quo demands extremism.
I like viewing it as being a radical movement vs. extremism when overthrowing the status quo.

Extremism is just too disturbing on many levels IMO. To me extremism is the ultimate of limited narrow mindedness.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
... Seems any argument it shot down immediately without any consideration, even when trying to give the benefit of the doubt to both sides. I'll remember to steer clear in the future.

In regards to the "article" (blog), i've already sent it to my kindle, and i will take a look, time permitting. Thanks for sharing.
That's my point. It has become a habit of contemporary media to try for the image of "fair and balanced" ... a certain slice of the public tries to imitate ... it is an apologetic style that has no truth. Nutcases are nutcases. Attempting to offset reality with an appearance of balance is a disservice.

If you have old-time traditional conservative leanings, you should be very comfortable with the Obama administration -- as its actions so far have been solidly aligned with conservative agendas and policies as recent as the last GOP administration's.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yee and Stienberg are both.
I stand corrected ... there are exceptions to every rule.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I like viewing it as being a radical movement vs. extremism when overthrowing the status quo.

Extremism is just too disturbing on many levels IMO. To me extremism is the ultimate of limited narrow mindedness.
Radical's have to be extremist to achieve their goals, otherwise the effort peters out, loses energy and dies on the vine. Life itself needs to be extreme to survive and thrive. It's a basic natural law.

It all depends on which side of the fence your on when viewing which exteme is bad or good.

Now having stated all that, for cultures and societies to thrive and maintain long periods of success the status quo has to be maintained to some degree. Change will happen no matter what and extremism will flourish for that change to occur.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,648,758 times
Quote:
You will have no argument from me that the GOP needs some house cleaning, and that there are crazy fringes on BOTH (read BOTH) (can i say it again with more emphasis BOTH) sides of the political spectrum.

My issue here is grouping everyone together into two simple parties, and automatically assuming all conservatives/republicans "suck", or have ill intentions because you "disagree" with what you hear about them on the websites you frequent. Republicans are not always right and neither are Democrats. Conservatoires are not always right nor are liberals. My contention here is statements like "republicans hate the country", which are equally stupid as saying Obama doesn't have a birth certificate, etc.

I seldom use the terms Republican or Democrat, I prefer Conservative and Normal. The psychology of a Conservative is not normal, it is based on fear of change, yet the only constant in life is change.

Remember the Republicans saved the Union from the Democrats in 1860-64, but, at that time the Republicans were the normal people and the Democrats were the Conservatives.

Same with the Revolution, opposed by Conservatives, supported by normal people

Same with the adoption of the Federal Constitution, opposed by conservatives in favor of the continuation of the Articles of Confederation, but supported by normal people.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM

72 posts, read 111,899 times
American Right Wing Extremists = Abortion Clinic Bombers, Timothy McVeighs, Wisconsin Shooter, KKK, Neo Nazi's White Nationalists. Etc Etc.

American Left wing Extremists, PETA? Occupy Vandals?

What's worse.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,307,938 times
Quote:
And I rest my case.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read, and one I am not even going to challenge, because its a) completely off topic and b) proves the point the ones who swear they preach tolerance clearly are intolerant of any ideas far from their own.
You just learned that????

Extremists at both ends of the political spectrum are brain dead.

Ultra Conservatives
Liberal Progressive

Not much to chose between either group. Both are unbalanced and blind to anything except their own extremist ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies