Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times

Advertisements

The duty is to follow the law. If the law allows the deduction, one might argue I have a duty to my family to take advantage of it. Nobody should pay more than they are legally required to pay.

The speed limit on I-5 is 75. How many people drive 65? Most people go faster. Do they have some civic duty to go less than the speed limit? The tax code is,
metaphorically speaking, the speed limit for your tax bill. If you want to drive 65, go ahead. I'll drive 75 and pay as little tax as possible.

I sleep just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Default Our duty to pay taxes.

I've never had a fire, but I think it's important to have a fire department.

I've never had to call the police, but I think it's important to have a police department.

I did attend public schools, and I think it's important to support the schools system.

I served in the military and I support having a strong and capable military.

I use public streets and highways daily and I support maintaining and expanding our network of public highways.

Psychotic tax evaders amuse me. Generally speaking, they talk like bold uberpatriots in some threads, but gripe endlessly in other threads about taxes. In effect, they're claiming that they "love America" while maintaining that they oppose supporting America.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
I love America, but not the federal government. Unfortunately many publik skoolers cant separate the two.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I love America, but not the federal government. Unfortunately many publik skoolers cant separate the two.
The main problem I have with people like you is that while you object to paying taxes, you don't really object to using some of the benefits that those taxes pay for.

You may say, "I have no choice - since I have to pay for them and there are no private alternatives, I have to use them." But really, you do have a choice... If you don't like it, all you have to do is leave society and go somewhere remote where you can live completely independently. The rest of us, knowing that some services in a civilized society cannot be provided by the private sector, are happy to pay for it.

Nobody likes excessive taxation, but some basic level of taxation is your entrance ticket into civilization.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The main problem I have with people like you is that while you object to paying taxes, you don't really object to using some of the benefits that those taxes pay for.

You may say, "I have no choice - since I have to pay for them and there are no private alternatives, I have to use them." But really, you do have a choice... If you don't like it, all you have to do is leave society and go somewhere remote where you can live completely independently. The rest of us, knowing that some services in a civilized society cannot be provided by the private sector, are happy to pay for it.

Nobody likes excessive taxation, but some basic level of taxation is your entrance ticket into civilization.
Well 48% of Americans snuck in the back door without paying their entrance fee according to the latest IRS data...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

society and civilization are not creations of the state, but of voluntary interaction among individuals. government is anti-social by its very nature of cohersion.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Well 48% of Americans snuck in the back door without paying their entrance fee according to the latest IRS data...

By having their incomes drop below the limit due to unemployment, wage cuts, etc due to the Great Recession.

Those of you who hate paying taxes can always join them by giving up your job.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
society and civilization are not creations of the state, but of voluntary interaction among individuals. government is anti-social by its very nature of cohersion.
Yes, and the large majority of us individuals in this society think that paying some taxes for things produced by government like police, fire trucks, military, roads, etc. is perfectly reasonable. In fact, the large majority of people in every functional nation on earth think this is perfectly reasonable. If you are among the .00001% of the human population who doesn't, then I think your only option will be to go somewhere else and start your own society.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM

395 posts, read 458,381 times
Duty to pay taxes?

Are you kidding me?

What about the duty of the government not to waste the money we pay in taxes?

What about politicians (repubs and Dems) duty not to use that money to advance their own careers and wealth before they even think about using one red cent of it to actually better the lives of the population?

What about the duty of the politicians not to look us in the eye and lie to us 24-7 as they vote year in and year out to use that tax money to give themselves pay raises?

What about the duty of the government to make sure that their social welfare programs are actually tools to help Americans who truly need help rather than tools to buy political support and votes?

What about the duty of every deluded leftist who goes on and on about taxes paying for roads and bridges to be honest and admit that most of our tax dollars do not go to anything meaningful or worthwhile that actually helps anyone but rather gets wasted by the power hungry, self centered, lying, thieving, condescending, corrupt politicians in both parties?

What about the duty of the fed government not to rack up a 16 trillion dollar national debt?

How bout them duties?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Duty to pay taxes?

Are you kidding me?

What about the duty of the government not to waste the money we pay in taxes?

What about politicians (repubs and Dems) duty not to use that money to advance their own careers and wealth before they even think about using one red cent of it to actually better the lives of the population?

What about the duty of the politicians not to look us in the eye and lie to us 24-7 as they vote year in and year out to use that tax money to give themselves pay raises?

What about the duty of the government to make sure that their social welfare programs are actually tools to help Americans who truly need help rather than tools to buy political support and votes?

What about the duty of every deluded leftist who goes on and on about taxes paying for roads and bridges to be honest and admit that msot of our tax dollars do not go to anything meaningful or worthwhile that actually helps anyone but rather gets wasted by the power hungry, self centered, lying, thieving, condescending, corrupt politicians in both parties?

How bout them duties?
That sounds fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies