Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

When I read this story I was very incensed by the end. If this is wrong then the behavior of Usain Bolt after his 200 meter victory is at least as bad and in that case he and two of his countrymen won 1-2-3 and he made out like it was really important. All I could think of was that there was nothing at all wrong with what he said and how he carried on after the race. Then I see this article about the victory of the USA women's soccer team and how they weren't supposed to be excited, at all. Yes, many little girls in the US are now wanting to play soccer for the US in an Olympic games but someone has to tell them that they aren't allowed to celebrate if they win.

This whole thing is so very sad. They are after Nike for making the shirts and whoever ordered them. Since when do we blame corporations for things like this? Since when do we go after the team and their organizers and supporters for something so very human? What I wonder is what would have happened if the teams were reversed. I fear I know and don't care for it, at all.

I really wonder

Backlash over Team USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
People seriously got their panties all bunched up over a slogan on some T-shirts? The slogan was't even remotely offensive/arrogant/whatever.

There are so many things in the world to be upset over, and this manages to garner attention?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
The t-short "thing" was inappropriate. The team should apologize, and get on with the celebration.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When I read this story I was very incensed by the end. If this is wrong then the behavior of Usain Bolt after his 200 meter victory is at least as bad and in that case he and two of his countrymen won 1-2-3 and he made out like it was really important. All I could think of was that there was nothing at all wrong with what he said and how he carried on after the race. Then I see this article about the victory of the USA women's soccer team and how they weren't supposed to be excited, at all. Yes, many little girls in the US are now wanting to play soccer for the US in an Olympic games but someone has to tell them that they aren't allowed to celebrate if they win.

This whole thing is so very sad. They are after Nike for making the shirts and whoever ordered them. Since when do we blame corporations for things like this? Since when do we go after the team and their organizers and supporters for something so very human? What I wonder is what would have happened if the teams were reversed. I fear I know and don't care for it, at all.

I really wonder

Backlash over Team USA
Why not make this type of thing more common, for gold medal team events? Turn it into artistic expression, an expression of patriotism or whatever the players of the winning team likes.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The t-short "thing" was inappropriate. The team should apologize, and get on with the celebration.
They have nothing to apologize for.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did a crazy idiot with a chalk and board tell you that? And was this the first occasion you saw US Olympians celebrate victory? But then, this ain't the first occasion when you're "incensed" at something trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Why not make this type of thing more common, for gold medal team events? Turn it into artistic expression, an expression of patriotism or whatever the players of the winning team likes.
And open a whole can of worms... that you will later get to whine about.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Personally dont like the shirts or the logo or the buying power represented. Just more nike gimmicks. I dont buy nike. Never understood why people had to have the swoosh on their apparal. You can get the same stuff without the swoosh made in the same building for a 3rd or less of the price (but then you might not be cool).

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
They have nothing to apologize for.
Yes they do. Bad sportsmanship. Look, victorious teams do stupid things sometimes. Be they high school athletes or professional athletes. In the environment in which they participated, the young ladies used bad judgment. The honorable, good sportsmanship gesture will be for the team to apoligize to anyone who may have been offended. No need to belabor the issue. Just apologize and get it behind them. Or, adopt the title "Ugly American."

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes they do. Bad sportsmanship. Look, victorious teams do stupid things sometimes. Be they high school athletes or professional athletes. In the environment in which they participated, the young ladies used bad judgment. The honorable, good sportsmanship gesture will be for the team to apoligize to anyone who may have been offended. No need to belabor the issue. Just apologize and get it behind them. Or, adopt the title "Ugly American."
It's not their fault a few pansies got offended over a harmless slogan.

"Ugly American", LOL. Haters gonna hate.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Personally dont like the shirts or the logo or the buying power represented. Just more nike gimmicks. I dont buy nike. Never understood why people had to have the swoosh on their apparal. You can get the same stuff without the swoosh made in the same building for a 3rd or less of the price (but then you might not be cool).
I not real keen on that part either, but maybe Nike sponsored them and paid a lot of money towards supplying their equipment, facilities, transportation etc... Remember the Ralph Loren uniforms, and his huge logo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies