Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Thank you President Obama!
for doubling long-term unemployment population to 5.2 MILLION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I don't care what the numbers say. The real deal, if there were all these jobs out here, really think we would have this high a number of unemployment.

Please, how bout you lose that great cushy job that you have, then tell me how fast, you find another one to replace the one you had for over twnenty yrs, with benefits, great paying and loyal.

You don't think it this were true, the unemployment nubers would reflect this. This is a bunch of bologny from a say anything post any number administration.

If these jobs were out there, really think we would be known as a Welfare Nation, with the highest number of unemployed, and homeless people. Don't think so, this is a smokescreen, just like everything elese this administration throwns at us, anything that could stick!

The jobs are not out there and for any one person who truly feels that they are, you are really brainswashed or not paying attention.

I know myself college kids who have graduated, smart bright kids, that cannot find a job, nor pay those high loans off, because of all those great chushy jobs that are not out there.

3.8% million job openings, then i expect they should be filled any mintue, don't you.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Russian example: occasionally some business owner or HRM posts something like that on a Vladivostok's forum - "we're posting the vacation for days-weeks-months, offering $2000-$4000 for a rather simple office job, but nobody applies, or they ask ridiculous questions first, like - will I get a company's car."

These business owners and managers think that people are delirious. But they recieve comments like that: "who, in the freaking world, will accept your miserable salary?"

I'm not saying that Russian and American economies are exactly the same - they are not. What I'm saying is that it's not easy to judge the economy by the open vacations. And "not easy" is an understatement.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The economy is getting better all the time. Just think how well we might have been doing by now if the Republican's would have done what's right for the country, rather than what's right for their party?

THE number of jobs available in the United States has risen to its highest level in four years, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said this week, providing more evidence that the job market is slowly recovering.

There were 3.8 million job openings at the end of June, up 105,000 from the previous month and the most since July 2008. That is also 1.6 million more openings than when the market hit bottom in July 2009…

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/bu...it_au_20120810
Everything I have said about this in the past will come true. It is only natural that it will get better. There are still a large number of baby boomers in the workforce. As they continue to age, participation in the workforce will drop and the number of job openings should grow greater.

Over the next 25 years, it is estimated that about 10,000 baby boomers will retire each day (I don't think we'll see numbers like that for a while, but it will eventually come...link #1). They currently hold 39% of the participation in the work force with almost 60 million people (link #2). They will all eventually leave, it is just a question of when.

1- The Baby Boomer Number Game - On Retirement (usnews.com)
2- Generations in the Workplace in the United States & Canada : Catalyst

Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
A lot of Jobs that are open either don't have the skill or "experience" or in working in North Dakota case living conditions are to hard. That is mostly do to a housing shortage in North Dakota.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM

839 posts, read 982,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, I think the real question is....if there are 3.8 million job openings right now, why are they not filled?

Could it be they get more for sitting on there A$$?
One of the major reasons for this has to do with the types of jobs for which there are openings/the industries the jobs are in. Many of these available jobs require extremely well educated and highly trained workers in fields like engineering, programming, biology, etc. Unfortunately, the US has fallen behind many countries in ensuring that a large portion of its population receives the type of educational training necessary to fill these jobs. There aren't enough Americans with Masters and PhDs in the appropriate fields to fill these jobs. Hence, we have to look to other countries (namely South Korea and China) to find individuals educated enough to take them.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
One of the major reasons for this has to do with the types of jobs for which there are openings/the industries the jobs are in. Many of these available jobs require extremely well educated and highly trained workers in fields like engineering, programming, biology, etc. Unfortunately, the US has fallen behind many countries in ensuring that a large portion of its population receives the type of educational training necessary to fill these jobs. There aren't enough Americans with Masters and PhDs in the appropriate fields to fill these jobs. Hence, we have to look to other countries (namely South Korea and China) to find individuals educated enough to take them.

One More Time: Yes, College Is Worth It | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Unemployment up in 44 states

must be a lot of berry picking jobs out there..

Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
The economy is getting better all the time. Just think how well we might have been doing by now if the Republican's would have done what's right for the country, rather than what's right for their party?

THE number of jobs available in the United States has risen to its highest level in four years, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said this week, providing more evidence that the job market is slowly recovering.

There were 3.8 million job openings at the end of June, up 105,000 from the previous month and the most since July 2008. That is also 1.6 million more openings than when the market hit bottom in July 2009…

I have seen some signs that the economy is getting slightly better, other then the unemployment rate and long term unemployment rate. But people don't want to work lower wage jobs, they want the job they had before being laid off because of their degree, or their sense of self worth.

That isn't the reality we are facing.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how they are going to lower the deficit. Romney and Obama, neither have mentioned anything real to cutting the deficit. Romney, lower taxes, raise defense spending. Yeah, real way to lower the deficit. Obama, no plan at all apparently.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Quote:

Come on... i'm not a Romney fan, but this is a little crazy. Millions of Americans are suffering badly. Let's not pretend the economy is doing well just to make Obama look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies