Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
LINK HAS ADULT LANGUAGE/PROFANITY.
The 6 Raunchiest, Most Depraved Sex Acts (From the Bible) | Cracked.com
The Bible is full of murder, adultery, stealing, idol worship, perverse sexual practices, lies, incest, abuse, slavery, cruelty and baby killing.

The very first book has rape for GOd's sake.
Slate blogs the Bible. - Slate Magazine

Genesis 34..
Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land. 2 When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and raped her. 3 His heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob; he loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her. 4 And Shechem said to his father Hamor, “Get me this girl as my wife.”

That's just sick.

Think about this for a minute. If you had another book, which wasn't the bible, just a book full of the same stories, and read that with children, you could be charged with a crime.

Disseminating Matter Harmful to Juveniles
Furnishing, selling or presenting obscene material to a juvenile directly and in any manner constitutes disseminating matter harmful to juveniles. Additionally, merely offering to do so can be considered a crime of distribution of harmful material.

Think about it. How many people know the story of Lot and his daughters and his incest? Besides from the Bible? And when did they learn that story? When they were 18 and could handle it?
Lot (biblical person) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ezekiel 23:20
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

That's in motel rooms, people. A book full of perversions and filth.
Long answer short, yes! Each individual parent makes the decision on their own. Like it should be...

Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It's ironic that the Bible said we were made from the dust of the earth 6 or 8 or 10 thousand years before science said we were made from the dust of the earth ..

We evolved only "after" we were made .. Science is even suggesting that we were made from "the right combination of chemicals" .. um .. all of which are found right here on earth ..

Before any of you knock science or the Bible ... take a good long look at both .. because if you try to discredit one over the other, you will always be wrong.

The Bible backs Science just like Science backs the Bible .. They are either both fairytales .. or not .. which is it? .. You can't have it one way or the other.

Creation and Evolution are both true ..

Now what's all this nonsense about being feeble? ..
Actually science does not support the Bible. You just cherry pick which aspects of the Bible you want to be literal and which you want to be metaphor. The Bible claims the sun revolves around the Earth, the earth sits on pillars and is immovable, it's flat, it has a solid dome sitting on top of it, that demons cause disease, etc. none of which are accurate.

But most of you who make such claims have never actually studied the Bible.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Did you go to Chapter 35 and see how these men were dealt with...........I love it when people who haven't read the Bible in it's full context take it chapter by skipped chapter and present their false belief as truth.
I'm quite certain you do the same thing.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you also read them Aesops Fables and tell them they are all true as well?
Sure we read them and NO they knew those were not true........

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Let me guess.....you think the invisible sky zombie made the dirt? lol
You want to tell me who did...........don't give me your "Big Bang" theory, I want more of an answer.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have an idea! Make a video game for the kids to play that reenacts the violence in the bible. They could; smite their enemies with swords, rape women and then stone them to death, stone to death people identified 'working' on the Sabbath, send she-bears to rip apart children who are mouthing off, kill and burn animals, etc.......... the options are endless!

What a great way to teach teenagers about the bible!
Why don't you write and produce the game then?

That's the great thing about capitalism. Anyone can sell anything(legal) that they can find a market for.

Don't expect me to buy your game though.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
No, but it will continue to be.

I remember one sermon I heard as a younger person. The pastor stated something to the effect that statistically, if children have not accepted the faith by a certain age, they were unlikely to do so.

What does it say about the rationality of a belief when people can't rationally accept it, and only acquire a belief in it if it is inserted into their minds in an a priori fashion before they have reached an age where they are even capable of critical thinking?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Do you believe in Unicorns?
Pagans do.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously? You actually believe that angels exist, and these stories are recounting real events?
People believe in aliens.........

Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
You don't need to get into the hard subjects for the children. It's a good history book. Teach what the children are ready for and leave the X rated parts when they can handle it. Easy enough.

The bible is about life----all life.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, but it will continue to be.

I remember one sermon I heard as a younger person. The pastor stated something to the effect that statistically, if children have not accepted the faith by a certain age, they were unlikely to do so.

What does it say about the rationality of a belief when people can't rationally accept it, and only acquire a belief in it if it is inserted into their minds in an a priori fashion before they have reached an age where they are even capable of critical thinking?
If you don't introduce the grandparents to children until they are grown they are not likely to develop much of a close relationship with them either. This isn't hard to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies