Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
With the selection of Paul Ryan it is obvious where Romney stands on Social Security which is to dismantle it.

So a vote for the Republicans would be a vote to dismantle Social Security. One of if not the most popular safety net that we have.

Please don't try to say that it is not so. Ryan has been prolific in his plan to dismantle social security and medicare.

Democrats are the party that created social security and the Republicans have been trying to get rid of it from the very beginning.
Those 44 and younger will never get back the money they are now putting into it. SS will be broke in 20 years----nothing left----moths flying out of the vault.

It's a ponsi scheme. Now it is top heavy. Too many people collecting it and not enough people paying into it. What else can they do? Ryan is on the right track to do something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The underlined portion is America's biggest problem. Perheps were bent on killing our kids economically.
You might be right. I'm 52 and have "kids" that are 24 and 26. Ever since they arrived on this earth, their welfare has been my top priority. Through hard work (and yes to some extent luck) I was able to give them both a debt free education. They're launched in their careers and doing well. But, I fear for their futures. If I have take a financial hit to insure those futures as best I can, I'm willing to do so. I may have to tighten my belt yet again and cut out some things, but that seems like a small price to pay for my kid's futures and others kids as well.

Whatever happened to worrying about "we" instead of "me, me, me"?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You might be right. I'm 52 and have "kids" that are 24 and 26. Ever since they arrived on this earth, their welfare has been my top priority. Through hard work (and yes to some extent luck) I was able to give them both a debt free education. They're launched in their careers and doing well. But, I fear for their futures. If I have take a financial hit to insure those futures as best I can, I'm willing to do so. I may have to tighten my belt yet again and cut out some things, but that seems like a small price to pay for my kid's futures and others kids as well.

Whatever happened to worrying about "we" instead of "me, me, me"?
I agree with you, am also 52, and will NOT vote for anyone who is pro SS status quo. I am talking about my generations selfishness at the macro level, obviously. When I see the AARP carping with granny's protesting I wonder if they THINK they love their grandkids. Are they that delusional?

BTW, despite being fiscally conservative, I adore JFK's infamous line "Ask not what your country could do for you,..." , and sadly this generation lives the inversion of that line. I do feel from the Woodstock era on, we have become very short-sighted and selfish. Perhaps because unlike the Greatest Generation, we have never feared for our existence. Maybe that fear, to a certain degree, is healthy.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
With the selection of Paul Ryan it is obvious where Romney stands on Social Security which is to dismantle it.

So a vote for the Republicans would be a vote to dismantle Social Security. One of if not the most popular safety net that we have.

Please don't try to say that it is not so. Ryan has been prolific in his plan to dismantle social security and medicare.

Democrats are the party that created social security and the Republicans have been trying to get rid of it from the very beginning.
Well considering it's unconstitutional and I'm paying for it though I doubt it'll be there for me in 50 years when I'm ready to retire I'm against it. I think we should begin phasing it out. Anyone 55 and up can keep it just as it is. Anyone under 54 should have the option to opt out and be reimbursed for their payments into the program. Hell if they'd let me opt out I'd even cut my losses.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
be reimbursed for their payments into the program..
Can't reimburse; it was first raided so LBJ could conduct his Vietnam War.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Those 44 and younger will never get back the money they are now putting into it. SS will be broke in 20 years----nothing left----moths flying out of the vault.

It's a ponsi scheme. Now it is top heavy. Too many people collecting it and not enough people paying into it. What else can they do? Ryan is on the right track to do something better.
Exactly but those on the left are too concerned about getting reelection to tell the truth. They'll continue to fear monger and demagogue anyone who tries to be honest with the American public.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Obama is against Social Security and Medicare. He took billions out of Social Security trust fund to pay for his tax cut. He took 500 billion out of Medicare to fund Obama-care. The Republicans have been trying to shore up SS/Medicare for years but the Democrats want it to fail and refuse to make any improvements.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,732 times
Haven't paid a dime into it since 2008, I don't expect to ever recover what was stolen from me but at least I've put a stop to it...

Id happily take it back though in a lump sum paid in gold or silver or even the only legal tender we have today that's actually worth something....

That would be the nickel, it's 75% copper and 25% nickel but even that wont be possible much longer and their already planning on changing the composition...

Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Social Security needs to be fundamentally changed - including allowing the American people the RIGHT TO DECIDE how THEIR money should be invested.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
I am pro SS from 1940...before the liberals morphed it into the monstrosity it is today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies