Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

So, is your complaint about whoever sees/saw the picture of these women or just what child might have seen it?
If the kid was that young, how would they even have known what the giveaway was?
Do you think you'd have to sit them down and explicity explain the whole thing?
This is such a stupid argument...."Oh, the poor innocent kiddies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,494 times
if some children are doing it from the womb, then your whole argument is not valid.

You do not have to talk to your kids about it right away, but just to let you know, scientifically we have sexual desires all the time we are alive, albeit different in nature.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So, is your complaint about whoever sees/saw the picture of these women or just what child might have seen it?
If the kid was that young, how would they even have known what the giveaway was?
Do you think you'd have to sit them down and explicity explain the whole thing?
This is such a stupid argument...."Oh, the poor innocent kiddies!
When they ask what's in the box, you either have to lie or be a special sort of vague, so they won't want one too! I plan to raise my kid to be an intellectual, which means he'd want to know why he can't have one. No, none of this is the end of the world. Not like slamming this ridiculous spectacle and annoying all those obnoxious "women" in line. Oh the poor innocent girlies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
No one has to teach a child to explore his or her genitals. It provides a feeling of pleasure, that once discovered, the child will most likely repeat. There have even been studies of prenatal ultrasounds revealing male fetuses doing it.
Okay, first, I had asked for proof that sex toys (or masturbation, if you'd rather) contributes to abstinence.

Second, an unborn baby's movements are impossible to analyze. But considering the lack of this behavior in newborns, I'd say they're generally unaware of what they're actually doing as fetuses

Also, even masturbation is not the same as a knowledge of sex. This article from Planned Parenthood reads, "Young children do not have sexual fantasies while masturbating", which stands to reason. It's why just because a child has started masturbating does not mean they need to know what other parts to think about while doing it. Better to wait until they take an interest in members of the opposite (or same) sex. And they are certainly not born chasing after members of the opposite (or same) sex. It all develops - and should develop - naturally.

Female & Male Masturbation

Ultimately, you shouldn't add to whatever concept of sex/masturbation someone else's child might have at the ages before puberty. It's not your place, just as it isn't our place to know what you use to masturbate with.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 AM

You said kids do not get those urges and they do. My quotes are from a medical website run by U of MIchigan, as I am not a doctor.

The other thing is that you claiming if they are giving away sex toys like the ones depicted you have to explain to the kid what is in the box. No you dont have to. You don't have to explain anything. The box is not explicit so there is nothing to explain.

I suspect that your indignation is due to the fact these women are not hiding the fact they are doing it. Well breaking news, people do it, all the time and the world keeps on turning. Masturbation has been a reality of the human race since we are human and maybe before. Even children do it. It is almost a natural craving like food and water.

I would be more concerned about my kids asking me why people go into a church with a gun and kill other people, or with so many images of violence we see every day. A pink box is not going to traumatize your children forever. Women will keep buying them and using them whether you like it or not.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ultimately, you shouldn't add to whatever concept of sex/masturbation someone else's child might have at the ages before puberty. It's not your place, just as it isn't our place to know what you use to masturbate with.
It also isnt necessary for anyone to know what kinds of feminine hygiene products are used but they're right out there on the shelves.
If your child sees a box of Tampax do you shield him/her from it or stop and explain all the mechanics of the use of such a product?
It's up to you what and/or how much a little kid gets to know about what.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
When they ask what's in the box, you either have to lie or be a special sort of vague, so they won't want one too! I plan to raise my kid to be an intellectual, which means he'd want to know why he can't have one. No, none of this is the end of the world. Not like slamming this ridiculous spectacle and annoying all those obnoxious "women" in line. Oh the poor innocent girlies!

explain to your kid he cannot have one because they are purchases like alcohol reserved for adults and females (if he is a male). Your kid will not be traumatized by not knowing. And even if he is and he decide go online and type masturbation with sex toys (you do not to call the box sex toy but massager) still is nothing sinful . It is a natural process.

Even if you explain truthfully to your kid what masturbation is (depending of his age) he/she will not be traumatized. It is a natural process. It is normal.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Bottom line, parents who shame their children around masturbation are really messing with their kids’ heads. If parents tell their children things that are not true about masturbation, it creates a huge amount of anxiety and/or cognitive dissonance (a discomfort caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously) in the children; ”I’m not supposed to do this touching myself thing, but it feels so good!” I understand it isn’t anything parents want to talk about with their children; however, it goes right along with teaching them about the changes that occur in their bodies as they grow. I can’t imagine how freaked out I would be if I was a boy and woke up after a wet dream but had no idea if that was normal. It’s an uncomfortable conversation but it’s totally ok to acknowledge such. If it fits for you, you can say, “my mom/dad/parent didn’t talk to me about this and I kinda wish they did. I’m nervous now talking to you about this but I want to be here for you because there’s a lot of information out there and not all of it is good. I want you to have the correct answers. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll go find out and get back to you.”

link:::

http://www.blogher.com/talk-your-kid...t-masturbation

Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
You said kids do not get those urges and they do.
Some do, some don't. The point is, it isn't your place to assume everyone's child (no matter their age or shared and nonshared environment) has gotten to that point yet naturally. It's not up to you to introduce either the concept of masturbation or sex to someone else's child, period!

Quote:
The other thing is that you claiming if they are giving away sex toys like the ones depicted you have to explain to the kid what is in the box. No you dont have to. You don't have to explain anything. The box is not explicit so there is nothing to explain.
I'll explain it to you one more time. Most kids that see that pretty blue boxes are just being given away for free are likely to take interest. The size of the line will contribute to their curiosity as well. Now, when/if they ask, the parent has to either give them "the talk" regardless of whether they feel they're ready for it, lie, or be vague (strategically so the child doesn't want one).

None of these options are ideal, and the situation's unacceptable considering the publicity of it all could've easily been avoided!

Quote:
I suspect that your indignation is due to the fact these women are not hiding the fact they are doing it. Well breaking news, people do it, all the time...
You've said this a hundred times already. I have no problem with masturbation or sex. But there is a proper forum for these things. Women don't have to "hide" the fact that they're masturbating; but it'd be a particularly civilized gesture for them to not tell the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It also isnt necessary for anyone to know what kinds of feminine hygiene products are used but they're right out there on the shelves.
I addressed this already. It's the drawing of everyone's attention to that sort of product that I have a problem with. If you go to the store with your kid and they immediately look at a box of tampons and want to know more about them, there's probably an existing knowledge or familiarity with the product already. Why else would they single that one product out among millions of others?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM

I'm done......you're making a mountain out of a molehill.....exaggerating the whole issue beyond common sense.
Ta ta

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM

please, as a parent you can always tell your kid is a medical device only ladies over 18 have use for it.

If your kid is over 10 and it is so interested ( I doubt it) I would give a vague explanation. I would be more concerned about my kid asking me about violence than sex. Sex is not bad, and even if the kid is not initially interested or curious, he/she will be eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies