Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Ugly, lonely ones.
I don't think so.

A bunch of cute girls there. So definitely not all of them. Nice try though.

http://downloads.thedaily.com/ui-ima...662w-at-1x.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
I'm not finding any attractive women in that photo, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok, dictate "to impose, pronounce, or specify authoritatively". You are attempting to state that people should not get free vibrators in public. That is dictate. You are trying to impose, your wishes, to circumvent their wishes. Yes, dictate is the correct term.
Authoritative = having or arising from authority = the power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge.

Okay, so, since I am determining something and judging behavior in terms of decency, I suppose I am guilty... But then, who here isn't determining something or judging one opinion or another? Again, you're implying that this is something only my side of the argument is doing to make your own argument appear rational. No thinking person is going to buy it.

Quote:
Ah, so now we are moving the goal posts. Now it is the publicity that is the issue. Well the people in line did not cause the publicity, the corporation and the news did.
Where did I blame the entire situation on the people in line? I do believe I challenged the company's decision to hold the event in various posts, probably more times than I have targeted the people who showed up.

Quote:
As for modesty, now we are getting to the crux of the issue. It isn't really about your child,
I never said it was just about the children. The first post here which included my mention of what a child might see was a brief one-liner. A "plus also". It was never conveyed as my primary concern. You people wanted to argue the point, though, so you got a side debate going.

Quote:
its about your own judgement on women being sexual beings. Not having sex in public, but just acknowledging, in public, that they enjoy orgasms.
Lmao, and you draw this conclusion how? Did you miss how I said twice that I'd be just as opposed to men lining up outside for fleshlights?

Not everyone who disagrees with you on something just has to be a sexist

"acknowledging that they enjoy orgasms". Thanks for bringing this all into perspective. Imagine feeling the need to tell complete strangers you enjoy having orgasms! As if anyone asked. As if anyone needs to be reassured that you/they/anyone on Earth is a "sexual being"

Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Have you ever seen the chaos and excitement when women arrive at a bridal boutique sale?

Hello, women love a bargain.
No kidding! One could argue these women are advertising their sexual behavior too, since we all know even the virgins among them won't be for long.

P.S. I love how the men (at the door) just look flabbergasted by the whole thing... only a woman could understand, I guess.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No kidding! One could argue these women are advertising their sexual behavior too, since we all know even the virgins among them won't be for long.
Only the people who think of sex when they think of marriage *shrugs*

I don't see how anyone could find this behavior offensive. But I do think it makes women look incredibly silly and stupid (My gf agrees. She said she'd never participate in something like that in a million years.)

And yes, many many behaviors make men look silly and stupid. And no, I don't hesitate to say it.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Only the people who think of sex when they think of marriage *shrugs*
Lighten up, it was just a joke.

Although you have to admit, there are many who can't discuss the issue of gay marriage without thinking of sex. So I guess sex is just on some people's minds at all times!

Quote:
I don't see how anyone could find this behavior offensive. But I do think it makes women look incredibly silly and stupid (My gf agrees. She said she'd never participate in something like that in a million years.)

And yes, many many behaviors make men look silly and stupid. And no, I don't hesitate to say it.
Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous too... I'm just agreeing that women DO love freebies, in fact nearly everyone does when you think about it. Haven't you seen those videos of "Black Friday" at Wal-Mart & Target every year? Scary stuff. I'm fairly claustrophobic myself, so I tend to avoid those chaotic scenes - but I love me a freebie too, so I'll take advantage if the scene is civilized enough. As for men looking silly, I'll take sporting events for $1000 Alex.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Sports are not for men to participate in... in any way whatsoever. They just don't know how to be involved without making us all look stupid

Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
This past week in New York City, of course, hundreds of women stood in line to get free vibrators. Am I wrong to see this as a bit off? What sort of woman does that exactly? Are people not discreet or more guarded of what they do in privacy anymore?

Just seems weird and shows more where society is today. Is there no public decency anymore?

Thousands Flock To NYC’s Trojan Vibrator Giveaway, Despite City Officials’ Complaints | The Jane Dough
Um, the kind of woman who is confident about her sexuality and is used to the anonymity in crowds in NYC? The MP District is a pretty adult neighborhood with lots of restaurants and clubs and tons of people walking around most of the time (it's just South of Chelsea and West of the Village). I would imagine there were a fair number of NYU students there as well as young professional women. Lots of women who use vibrators do so with their partners. I personally wouldn't be with a man who wasn't comfortable with adding a little spice and variety to a couple's indoor sporting events.

And, vibrators have been around for almost 150 years--I see no reason to believe that this giveaway indicates any declension in societal values. In fact, ads for vibrators appeared in the Sears catalogue in the early 20th century. If you're as interested as the OP seems to be, check out this book: Amazon.com: The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology) (9780801866463): Rachel P. Maines: Books

Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Speaking of Toys: Let's take toys and lingerie....I saw a man coming out of Victorias Secret (alone) and he wandered in the mall....

My deduction: Men love Toys and Lingerie. They like their gf's/wives to buy it, wear it and "utilize it" when they are making love...
But you don't see men carrying around their blow up dolls with them, do you?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
But you don't see men carrying around their blow up dolls with them, do you?
Actually, I seem to recall a few getting caught illegally driving in the HOV lane in Seattle with blow-up dolls riding shotgun as decoys.

You know...on the way to work.

Blow-up doll flunks Seattle HOV lane ploy | kgw.com Portland

The vibrator wins the War of Discretion hands down.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Actually, I seem to recall a few getting caught illegally driving in the HOV lane in Seattle with blow-up dolls riding shotgun as decoys.

You know...on the way to work.

Blow-up doll flunks Seattle HOV lane ploy | kgw.com Portland

The vibrator wins the War of Discretion hands down.
Hands down? Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies