Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,922,722 times

Advertisements

Reagan had a Democratic congress who actually worked cooperatively with him. Obama has a Republican congress who constantly obstruct and taxes are far lower now than the Reagan era. Unfortunately Tea Partiers are too stupid to see the distinction since they're blinded by their hate for the black man they believe to be an illegal Muslim immigrant thru whatever ridiculous pretzel logic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,802,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It was a different time. The pardon was hard to take but it was best for the country. I think Ford was a biggest unsung hero as a president for this country. He agreed to be a one term president. He kept his word. Imagine that from a president.
What? Ford lost to Carter in the '76 election.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,029,445 times
The difference between any - pick one, any one - strong leader and President Obama is acceptance of the responsibility to lead, to not make any excuses; to get the job done. Regardless of what happens, regardless of what does not happen. Let's face it. He is negative nancy, incapable of real leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Obama has good economic policies but the Republican Senate blocks them. People keep saying how Liberal Obama is yet he is not much left of center. Reagan is not the great Conservative that people think he was.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,412,463 times
The myth: that Reagan was a stalwart, antidebt, no-tax-hike, no nonsense conservative.

The reality:

• Reagan raised taxes. In August 1982, Reagan signed the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act, which increased taxes on business and added new excise taxes on tobacco and alcohol and other goods. Reagan made the same kind of choice the next year. In 1983, as part of an agreement to shore up the short-term fiscal stability of Social Security, Reagan did it again when he agreed to legislation that increased payroll taxes.
The Tax Reform of 1986 simplified the rate structure and closed many loopholes. But as a result of the bill, many interests were hit with higher taxes. Reagan stood behind the measure and was instrumental to its passage.

• 1983, President Reagan asked “for your help and support, and that of your colleagues, in the passage of an increase in the limit on the public debt.”
In all, Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times for a total increase of 199%.

By comparison, Carter raised the debt ceiling 9 times for total increase of 59%.
Clinton raised the debt ceiling 4 times for a total increase of 44%.
George W. Bush raised the debt ceiling 7 times for a total increase of 90%.
Obama has raised the debt ceiling 3 times for a total increase of 26%.

• Reagan increased government spending by 60% and tripled the Gross Federal Debt, which was $930 when Reagan took office.
When George Bush Sr. took office, he inherited a national debt well of over $2.6 trillion, that was also growing at a rate of $155 a year.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,527,121 times
Why won't Obama work with the fiscal conservatives in the House?

Why didn't the democrats work with George W. Bush?

Why are gas prices so much higher under Obama than Bush?

When does the president plan on implementing policies that help bring unemployment and underemployment under 13%?

Why should I vote for a guy who failed in his first term?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 AM

58,547 posts, read 26,856,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I. . . . Hated. . . . Reagan. He was no uniter. He told the people of Western PA to "vote with their feet" after the collapse of the steel industry. I had no use for the man, and I can't understand why so many idolize him.
Someone said, "When you keep your cool when everybody else loses theirs, maybe YOU haven't grasped the situation".

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,420,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The myth: that Reagan was a stalwart, antidebt, no-tax-hike, no nonsense conservative.

The reality:

• Reagan raised taxes. In August 1982, Reagan signed the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act, which increased taxes on business and added new excise taxes on tobacco and alcohol and other goods. Reagan made the same kind of choice the next year. In 1983, as part of an agreement to shore up the short-term fiscal stability of Social Security, Reagan did it again when he agreed to legislation that increased payroll taxes.
The Tax Reform of 1986 simplified the rate structure and closed many loopholes. But as a result of the bill, many interests were hit with higher taxes. Reagan stood behind the measure and was instrumental to its passage.

• 1983, President Reagan asked “for your help and support, and that of your colleagues, in the passage of an increase in the limit on the public debt.â€
In all, Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times for a total increase of 199%.

By comparison, Carter raised the debt ceiling 9 times for total increase of 59%.
Clinton raised the debt ceiling 4 times for a total increase of 44%.
George W. Bush raised the debt ceiling 7 times for a total increase of 90%.
Obama has raised the debt ceiling 3 times for a total increase of 26%.

• Reagan increased government spending by 60% and tripled the Gross Federal Debt, which was $930 when Reagan took office.
When George Bush Sr. took office, he inherited a national debt well of over $2.6 trillion, that was also growing at a rate of $155 a year.

Great post, I never understood why Republicans continue to ignore these facts and can still call him a great President when he was actually worse than Obama.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Of all the things President Reagan did, the most important thing he did was to make us believe in ourselves again. Not only as a country, but as individuals as well. He didn't have all the answers and in my opinion he made some mistakes, but he truly believed in "The shining city on the hill", and he made us believe it too.. He had carisma and charm. Something that has been lacking since he left office. We need another leader.
Include me out. I don't need a president with "carisma"(sic) and "charm". I also recall 18% mortgages in 1982, just as DH and I were getting ready to buy our first house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Why won't Obama work with the fiscal conservatives in the House?

Why didn't the democrats work with George W. Bush?

Why are gas prices so much higher under Obama than Bush?

When does the president plan on implementing policies that help bring unemployment and underemployment under 13%?

Why should I vote for a guy who failed in his first term?
Why won't the fiscal conservatives work with Obama is the real question. Because they want Obama to fail is the answer. They have said so.

I believe the Democrats did work with George W. Bush. Witness the No Child Left Behind Act which Ted Kennedy supported.

Gas prices under Bush were at their highest point EVER.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM

10,189 posts, read 7,916,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Great post, I never understood why Republicans continue to ignore these facts and can still call him a great President when he was actually worse than Obama.

LMAO. There is no comparison between Obama and Reagan. Reagan was so much better than Obama it is pitiful. I lived through the Reagan years and they were the best of times. Look at what we have today under Obama.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,908,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Include me out. I don't need a president with "carisma"(sic) and "charm". I also recall 18% mortgages in 1982, just as DH and I were getting ready to buy our first house.

Why won't the fiscal conservatives work with Obama is the real question. Because they want Obama to fail is the answer. They have said so.

I believe the Democrats did work with George W. Bush. Witness the No Child Left Behind Act which Ted Kennedy supported.

Gas prices under Bush were at their highest point EVER.
Do you remember what interest rates were after Reagan and even into the Clinton years? I do... They were still high. Do you remember what the gas prices were at the end of the Bush administration? I was paying $1.86 a gallon. I was among the first to say that Bush was spending too much, but by comparison, this president makes Bush look like a spendthrift. Do you remember what the unemployment numbers were during the Carter term? How about under Reagan? How about even under Bush for 8 years? Do you remember ANY of Obamas lofty campaign promises? Which have been kept? Not ONE has been. He had two years completely unchecked. He had a Senate and a house that would have passed anything he put forward. What did he pass? The only legislation he passed was the health care bill and it is a disaster. Yeah, interest rates were "STILL" high under Reagan, but if you look at the overall picture, we were by far better off under Reagan than we had been in decades in this country and we have not had better times since. Was everything perfect? No it wasn't but in comparison to where we started at the end of the Carter administration, we were far better off than we were when we started. If you are looking for the perfect president in history, you won't find them. They have all made mistakes. I was critical even then of Reagans spending, which was greatly attributed to Tip O'Neil. All in all though, I would take a Reagan administration for the next century over the current administration for another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies