Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 PM

304 posts, read 871,173 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately a lot of the problems were are in today is because of Reagan, he had a terrible foreign policy (and I believe an immoral one). From the Iran Contra affair, to funding death squads in El Salvador, to the totally unnecessary invasion of Grenada. Then you also had his ridiculous rhetoric of securing the Panama Canal.

As for the economy, Reagan tripled the deficit. He cut back many programs that brought people out of poverty and into the Middle Class. Reaganomics is "trickledown" economics. Wealth created at the top is supposed to flow down into the middle class. Unfortunately, I think the results are in and show this to be untrue, or at the very least has not been sufficiently effective.

Obama has had to deal with more structural problems that Reagan has. The financial system was not on the verge of collapse when Reagan took office, and the economy was not nearly as much as a precarious state. It is also important to remember that there was not as much growth in the Reagan era, as there was in the FDR or Johnson/LBJ era.

Clinton (who was no saint and certainly has his role as well in some issues that plague us) was probably a more effective president than Reagan, especially in handling the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Reagan supported a racist and homophobic agenda. He is very overrated by many. There were a lot more manufacturing jobs in this country back then. Anybody can see that we have outsourced too many jobs, making it exceedingly difficult to repeat what Reagan and congress did in the early 80s. Reagan exploded the national debt exponentially, which started the beginnings of the debt explosion that we have now that Obama always gets blamed for. Reagan could not possibly duplicate what was done in the early 80s in today's america. The happiest day was when Bill clinton took the oath of office in January,1993, ending that national nightmare of the Reagan-Bush years.
OMG!!! Democrats are actually going back to the Reagan administration to lay blame. PMSL!!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Clinton created more jobs than reagan and managed to balance the budget. Reagan was a okay. In my opinion what made him great was simply just his acting.
Clinton had the advantage of the Internet boom.
The national debt increased by $1 trillion during the Clinton years.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Clinton had the advantage of the Internet boom.
The national debt increased by $1 trillion during the Clinton years.

Plus Clinton was fortunate to have had Gingrich leading the charge for fiscal responsibility. Something foreign to Tip O"Neill and his ilk.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
OMG!!! Democrats are actually going back to the Reagan administration to lay blame. PMSL!!!!
Not only that, they keep posting the same inaccurate and/or untrue baloney!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Plus Clinton was fortunate to have had Gingrich leading the charge for fiscal responsibility. Something foreign to Tip O"Neill and his ilk.
Very true. Like the Balanced Budget Amendment which Clinton vetoed twice before finally signing it into law (then takes credit for it!). Same thing with Welfare Reform.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:33 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What are you talking about? Deportations are higher than ever under Obama...the GOP are even trying to use it against him in Spanish-language advertising.
Yes, those were the "worst" criminals amongst the illegals. Are you seeing the other side of what Obama has been doing for illegals? Such as: one of the disqualifiers for an illegal to get the upcoming work visa is a misdemeanor. Obama is currently working on "redefining" a misdemeanor to enable illegals charged with misdemeanors to get work visas.

People who follow the legal process to gain citizenship cannot have a police record. Another gift Obama is proposing is expunge the police records of illegals. Obama has ordered ICE agents not to detain illegals. If an illegal is detained as a result of a complaint (ex: domestic violence) and utters the words "I am a DREAMER", "I have a GED", I am in high school", they cannot be detained or charged. ICE has to release them.

Obama made commercials for spanish speaking radio stationsthat aired in Mexico encouraging illegals to collect food stamps because he thinks that illegals need to have nutritional food, while there are Americans dump diving looking for a meal.

Will every citizen who was charged with a misdemeanor have their records expunged so that they can get a clean start? I highly doubt it.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I don't think you could whine or complain anymore if you tried. Give it a rest.

I guess John Boehner crying and running out of the room and then refusing to talk was "working" with the Democrats.

Why should you vote for a failure? You did for Bush and Obama is not one.

It's funny that the qualities you loved in Reagan you hate in Obama. I guess that's part of being a bigot.
So in your fantasy world I voted for Bush, huh?

I've never voted for Bush. Keep trying though.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Include me out. I don't need a president with "carisma"(sic) and "charm". I also recall 18% mortgages in 1982, just as DH and I were getting ready to buy our first house.

Why won't the fiscal conservatives work with Obama is the real question. Because they want Obama to fail is the answer. They have said so.

I believe the Democrats did work with George W. Bush. Witness the No Child Left Behind Act which Ted Kennedy supported.

Gas prices under Bush were at their highest point EVER.
Liberals wanted Bush to fail. Can't take your own medicine?

Gas prices are higher under Obama than Bush.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Liberals wanted Bush to fail. Can't take your own medicine?

Gas prices are higher under Obama than Bush.
Show me a link from any liberal stating they wanted Bush to fail.

Gas prices have been higher under Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies