Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should have higher taxes?
Individual 2 8.33%
Businesses 1 4.17%
Both Business & the individual 7 29.17%
Both should have lower taxes. 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,414,210 times

Advertisements

I see many politians specifically from the conservative side, saying bring down taxes on both individuals (specifically the wealthy and bring down taxes on companies (corporations & small businesses). Well that won't work, govt revenue will drop, so either us or the companies have to may larger taxes. I think the individual should pay less taxes since we patronize these businesses and give them profits, and the less tax on us the more we could spend at that company.

So what do you believe should have higher taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,598,288 times
If we lower the corporate tax rate, the possibility exists that companies will stop outsourcing and employment in the US will increase. Many companies who turned to outsourcing have found the cost of doing business was more than anticipated due to lack of controls and checks, poor manufacturing, shipping costs, etc. AFA individual taxes, many, almost 50% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes and are on federal programs.

Chart: Nearly Half of All Americans Don't Pay Income Taxes

Also, if the government stops fraud on the various federal programs, including those filing income tax statements using others ID, we might get out of debt. Why are we fighting about the higher income people paying more taxes when most Americans pay nothing?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM

40,929 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Why are we fighting about the higher income people paying more taxes when most Americans pay nothing?
A great and simply put post above. How do you pay less taxes than Zero % ? Increase what you give back as freebies ?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
If we lower the corporate tax rate, the possibility exists that companies will stop outsourcing and employment in the US will increase. Many companies who turned to outsourcing have found the cost of doing business was more than anticipated due to lack of controls and checks, poor manufacturing, shipping costs, etc. AFA individual taxes, many, almost 50% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes and are on federal programs.

Chart: Nearly Half of All Americans Don't Pay Income Taxes

Also, if the government stops fraud on the various federal programs, including those filing income tax statements using others ID, we might get out of debt. Why are we fighting about the higher income people paying more taxes when most Americans pay nothing?
I can agree on that, companies may stop outsourcing if we lower the tax rate but it's not a gurantee. Nations such as China corporate tax rates are going up along with minimum wage so some American companies are realizing that overtime it will be cheaper to just produce goods in America. So we could create more/better incentives for companies to move back to America but in a way it doesn't cost us much or the company. I have no idea what these incentives could be, but whatever they are have to be enticing.

And regarding those who don't pay income tax, are you saying everyone should be paying it or the amount of people not paying it should decrease? I believe those who can't afford to pay it, shouldn't be paying but only because that should reduce the amount of welfare assistance they need. And we do need to stop fraud for income taxes, welfare (including corporate welfare), and etc so that's another thing I can agree on. But I don't see how higher income taxes on the wealthy is harmful, they personally aren't creating many jobs, and they even know this that's why many of the elite are more than willing to pay higher taxes.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM

981 posts, read 1,615,339 times
Quote:

Because the people paying nothing are living in subsistence. Why should they pay taxes when they can barely support themselves? The top 20% control 85% of the wealth.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,811,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Because the people paying nothing are living in subsistence. Why should they pay taxes when they can barely support themselves? The top 20% control 85% of the wealth.
Two individuals each make a $100K a year, one spends his money on whiskey, loose women and wastes the rest. The other saves 25% of his income. One has wealth, the other does not.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Two individuals each make a $100K a year, one spends his money on whiskey, loose women and wastes the rest. The other saves 25% of his income. One has wealth, the other does not.
But how many individuals are even making $100k a year? I'd be wealthy within a few years if I made that type of cash.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM

981 posts, read 1,615,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I fail to see how this is an argument at all against what I said. Are you really trying to tell me that most people are boozers, womanizers, and wastrels? Are you really trying to tell me that richness is equal to moral rightness? That sounds like the kind rhetoric the scoundrels at the top of the pyramid would use to befuddle and mystify people into thinking they are upright citizens that create wealth for society.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,811,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I fail to see how this is an argument at all against what I said. Are you really trying to tell me that most people are boozers, womanizers, and wastrels? Are you really trying to tell me that richness is equal to moral rightness? That sounds like the kind rhetoric the scoundrels at the top of the pyramid would use to befuddle and mystify people into thinking they are upright citizens that create wealth for society.
Simply saying that wealth comes from savings. Those with little wealth should save more. If that requires a second job so be it. Why should those who work and save subsidize those who do not work and save?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,067,857 times
My question is why are we begging and pleading to corporate America and bowing to their every whim.

They should be lucky that we as a public let them use our infrastructure, use our military to defend them.

If they want to do business in America, they should have to play by our rules. If not, they can get out, and someone who will can have all their business.

Corporate America has been sending out the message for years that all workers are expendable and replaceable. Its time that the public lets them know that they are replaceable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies