Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the South secede? Where are you from?
Yes - I'm a Northerner 29 20.00%
No opinion - I'm a Northerner 4 2.76%
No - I'm a Northerner 24 16.55%
Yes - I'm a Southerner 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm a Southerner 3 2.07%
No - I'm a Southerner 31 21.38%
Yes - I'm neither 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm neither 5 3.45%
No - I'm neither 17 11.72%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM

488 posts, read 554,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
At least one Northern liberal thinks it should, and he's written a book about it.

So here's a poll. Discuss.
What's considered north and south? What's the logic behind splitting up the north and the south? What about the western states?

I think it's a ridiculous idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ever been in the military? In combat?

Never mind. I know the answer just from your flippant and disrespectful post.
Plenty of blacks and hispanics in the military. Seriously doubt they woul side with a Confederacy.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Puerto Ricans make the best soldiers.
Interesting non sequitur.

We had a Puerto Rican guy in our platoon in Vietnam. Good dude.

Would you believe that he was a Mormon? From Salt Lake City? First and last Mormon Puerto Rican I ever met...

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Actually its a great idea. The problem is southern states will be extremely reluctant to leave. But a peaceful transition to two countries, a United States of America and a Confederate States of America may very well be the right fix for this nation's ills. The Confederacy could adopt a religious Christianity based state which would allow for reintroduction of segregation, slavery etc. That would make the CSA citizens VERY happy.

Its a possibility and personally, I really hope it happens.
You realize, of course, a return to the model designed by our founders, that of a weak federal government and strong state and local governments would accomplish the same thing and preserve the union. The founders of the union knew what they were doing.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Plenty of blacks and hispanics in the military. Seriously doubt they woul side with a Confederacy.
I'm not sure what that means, since I don't recall mentioning a Confederacy, but okay.

I was referring to the disproportionate number of Southerners in the military -- especially in the combat arms. And I speak from experience.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Interesting non sequitur.

We had a Puerto Rican guy in our platoon in Vietnam. Good dude.

Would you believe that he was a Mormon? From Salt Lake City? First and last Mormon Puerto Rican I ever met...
I had a puerto rican friend when I was in the navy. He was from new york city. We used to cruise the puerto rican neighborhood in his volkswagen. I was never very comfortable about it but he always told me I'd make it out alive as long as I was with him.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM

For fantasy fans, this is a pretty good read. I won't be a spoiler, but --- it has a happy ending.

Amazon.com: If The South Had Won The Civil War (9780312869496): MacKinlay Kantor, Dan Nance, Harry Turtledove: Books

Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Actually its a great idea. The problem is southern states will be extremely reluctant to leave. But a peaceful transition to two countries, a United States of America and a Confederate States of America may very well be the right fix for this nation's ills. The Confederacy could adopt a religious Christianity based state which would allow for reintroduction of segregation, slavery etc. That would make the CSA citizens VERY happy.

Its a possibility and personally, I really hope it happens.

How long does it take for someone to become this ignorant????

Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You realize, of course, a return to the model designed by our founders, that of a weak federal government and strong state and local governments would accomplish the same thing and preserve the union. The founders of the union knew what they were doing.
Unfortunately the Southern States want to impose their views on the Northern and Western ones, who want the federal government to be involved in certain things such as education, food safety, environment, infrastructure etc. and not turn us into a theocracy.

The only way that I see an amicable resolution is to have two separate federal governments with perhaps some cooperation as needed. There are countries out there with this model.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Louisiana on this map will make you laugh!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies