Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the South secede? Where are you from?
Yes - I'm a Northerner 29 20.00%
No opinion - I'm a Northerner 4 2.76%
No - I'm a Northerner 24 16.55%
Yes - I'm a Southerner 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm a Southerner 3 2.07%
No - I'm a Southerner 31 21.38%
Yes - I'm neither 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm neither 5 3.45%
No - I'm neither 17 11.72%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wrong, but it does have diminishing resources for water which Oregon and Washington can help with since we three states could work together. Don't worry about us, we'll be just fine with our fruits and nuts and water. Thanks for caring!

-- California leads all states as top farm producer measured by cash receipts of $36.6 billion in 2007, 13 percent of the U.S. total and nearly twice the output of No. 2 Texas and No. 3 Iowa.

-- It supplies over half of U.S. fruits, nuts and vegetables and over 90 percent of U.S. almonds, artichokes, avocados, broccoli and processing tomatoes. Grapes, lettuce and almonds are the biggest crops in cash value.

FACTBOX: Water scarcity and agriculture in California | Reuters

without the water from Arizona california would be a wasteland.
currently 50% of all of californias water comes from the colorado river. of which they would not be able to get from flyover country. washington ans oregon would not be able to make up even close to that difference. it still stands that california would become a wasteland without flyover country.

also, since washington state and oregon is also considered by alot to be flyover country, it still stands that california would be a desert without water from flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? where the heck would the northern states get their food from if not for the southern states and the fly over states. if not for these sates, northern states would be starving.
You never took a U.S. geography class, did you? Yeah, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas...they don't grow many crops there.

Wheat? Corn? Beans? Potatoes? Never even heard of 'em up here! Thank God for the South! We'd all be starving if not for their peanuts and such!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You never took a U.S. geography class, did you? Yeah, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas...they don't grow many crops there.

Wheat? Corn? Beans? Potatoes? Never even heard of 'em up here! Thank God for the South! We'd all be starving if not for their peanuts and such!

it does look like you did not read my post. i did also include flyover country in my post, I live in Wisconsin, a flyover state.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Oregon and Washington are not considered flyover States.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
currently 50% of all of californias water comes from the colorado river. of which they would not be able to get from flyover country. washington ans oregon would not be able to make up even close to that difference. it still stands that california would become a wasteland without flyover country.

also, since washington state and oregon is also considered by alot to be flyover country, it still stands that california would be a desert without water from flyover country.
Southern California gets some of their water from the Colorado River, Northern California gets water from the snow melt. Salinas is in Northern California.

And the only way Oregon and Washington are flyover country is if the pilot has no since of direction.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Southern California gets some of their water from the Colorado River, Northern California gets water from the snow melt. Salinas is in Northern California.

And the only way Oregon and Washington are flyover country is if the pilot has no since of direction.

guess you like being sarcastic. california gets 4.4 million square acre feet of water from the colorado river. that is not a little bit.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
guess you like being sarcastic. california gets 4.4 million square acre feet of water from the colorado river. that is not a little bit.
Saying it's "not a little bit" when I said "some" has no meaning. California's agriculture is primarily based in Salinas which is Northern CA.

If you are in Wisconsin, you have no need to worry about California. If you think we on the West coast will start getting fat on pasta because we have no vegetables, rest assured we'll be fine.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sorry to butt in here, but I wanted to inject some information relating to the true intention and results of the cynical Hundred Flowers Movement.

From Wikipedia:

The Hundred Flowers Campaign, also termed the Hundred Flowers Movement, (simplified Chinese: 百花运动; traditional Chinese: 百花運動; pinyin: Bǎihuā yùndòng) refers to a period in 1956 in the People's Republic of China[1] during which the Communist Party of China (CPC) encouraged its citizens to openly express their opinions of the communist regime. Differing views and solutions to national policy were encouraged based on the famous expression by Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong: "The policy of letting a hundred flowers bloom and a hundred schools of thought contend is designed to promote the flourishing of the arts and the progress of science"."[2][3] [b]After this brief period of liberalization, Mao Zedong abruptly changed course. The crackdown continued through 1957 as an Anti-Rightist Campaign against those who were critical of the regime and its ideology. Those targeted were publicly criticized and condemned to prison labor camps.[4] Mao remarked at the time that he had "enticed the snakes out of their caves."
[
/B]

That was how the wisdom of Mao "balanced" things out. Trick people into speaking their minds, and then throw them into prison...
Thanks, that's an interesting bit of historical information. Although IMO, Mao's cynical treachery still no more demeans the core ideals expressed by the quote, than a hooker does by saying the words, "I love you"!

"Cynicism is the only form in which base souls approach honesty." – Nietzsche

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Thanks, that's an interesting bit of historical information. Although IMO, Mao's cynical treachery no more demeans the core ideals behind the quote, than a hooker does by saying the words, "I love you"!
Oh, certainly. One could never demean one's ideals by lying and sending thousands of people to their deaths.

I like your imagery, though. As a political philosopher, Mao was indeed a prevaricating prostitute. And the country that he perverted may never recover from the dose he gave it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:

Without the Colorado River, SoCal might quit growing (one can hope!), but NorCal and nearly all that abundant agriculture in the Central Valley are fed by the Sacramento River, groundwater and runoff from the surrounding Sierra and Coastal ranges. Where does my water come from?

WA & OR are "flyover country"?! Enroute to where.... Hawaii?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Oh, certainly. One could never demean one's ideals by lying and sending thousands of people to their deaths.

I like your imagery, though. As a political philosopher, Mao was indeed a prevaricating prostitute. And the country that he perverted may never recover from the dose he gave it.
At the risk of courting Godwins law, Germany seems to be doing a fair job of recovering from its own substantial horrors and demagoguery. And perpetual cynicism may be a "safe" refuge for some, but to press the metaphor, which takes more strength & courage, daring to risk "love" again, or like the Beatles song, always sadly resigned that "you've got to hide your love away"?

BTW, IMHO, am starting to see a lot of interesting stuff coming out of China these days.... and certainly some cause for optimism (however guarded)!

Last edited by mateo45; 08-14-2012 at 02:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies