Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times

Advertisements

I interpret some of the comments in this discussion as advocating a "Big Brother" form of government where someone trying to immitate God dictates how we live our lives. That's disturbing, so see such support for principals which so many have fought and died for over the years so we wouldn't have to live under that tyrany. I'm suspecting the people supporting such big government describe themselves as "Republican."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Is Oregon better than Bayonne?
Comparing city and state, Oregon is amazing, and I loved living in Portland. Bayonne was the city we moved to to get us close to NYC and a friend lives over here and was able to get us a place to live. We are making the most of it and plan on moving to Brooklyn, but overall Bayonne has been pretty nice.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I interpret some of the comments in this discussion as advocating a "Big Brother" form of government where someone trying to immitate God dictates how we live our lives. That's disturbing, so see such support for principals which so many have fought and died for over the years so we wouldn't have to live under that tyrany. I'm suspecting the people supporting such big government describe themselves as "Republican."
Getting a valid government ID is not being spied on by Big Brother. Where is this paranoia coming from????

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It is actually funny, these are the same people that want a small government and the government to stay out of their lives, but when it comes to voting, the government needs to be tracking our every movement and everyone should be carrying a state ID.

Actually there has been an issue with voter ID laws that don't accept passports or military IDs because they don't say where your address is, which is absurd, if you can get those two documents then you should be allowed to vote.

Though I think everyone should vote through mail-in because you get a higher voter turn out and you get a better informed voter because they are not put on the spot to make their choices.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,436 times
I could be totally wrong and out of left field, but maybe some people think the only form of getting ID is a license. I know a lot of people and have never met anyone who has a government issued ID that isn't a license. If that's the awe then getting a license is more expensive than those ID's I know cost goes down as you age; but at 16 it starts at 90$. That's the only logical reason I see. For example my mom lost her license while traveling and at the moment she does not have a photo ID she has the temporary license sheet thing.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
No one can come to MY door and demand to know my name and who I am. No one can call me on MY phone and demand "who am I speaking too?" It is my phone..you have entered into MY realm..It is MY home and you are at MY thresh hold. It is the duty of the intruder to show me their ID...not mine.

Sure I have a governmental number assigned too me..I don't need it printed on my forehead to be considered legitimate. The number sits in my drawer...if I have to deal with the bureaucratic machine..I may insert my number into the provided slot..The moment you WORD is not respected - that is the moment your rights are gone and de-humanization takes place.

No person or government has the right to convict you of fraud or call you a liar ...we are all innocent until-PROVEN guilty..for it to be a law - that a free person must provide his "papers" on demand to a so-called authority is abuse of a free citizen. Of course for bureaucratic reasons we must have ID...because governments are are what they are..

I remember a few years back a group of cops entered my home by mistake (they had the wrong address)- One cop stood at my bedroom door and demanded I show him ID in my own home...I repeated to the guy...that they were in the wrong place...I refused to ID myself...Eventually I patted them on the back and told them what a wonderful job they were doing- and showed all 6 of them out the door...

There was no valid reason for these cops to have knowledge of anything concerning myself...As for voting - I concede..pull out your number and show it too them...Other than that...If you are a civil citizen who lives within the rule of law- show them nothing. There are some bureaucratic power mongering pricks who live by the saying "There are the convicted and those yet convicted" We are not criminals and this is not some colonialist out post that seeks to remove civil rights through informal wrongful conviction.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Well I was told now , you need a birth certificate to get a license but you need a license to get a birth certificate .. And a social security card or another photo ID (like say a school ID) doesn't work . Which makes the problem . And by license I mean drivers license or government photo ID

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Getting a valid government ID is not being spied on by Big Brother. Where is this paranoia coming from????
Then how come the government insists on knowing where you live before giving you ID? Obviously they want to know where they can get you if they want. (I was once temporarily living in my car when my ID expired and DMV would not let me renew it with a PO box.)

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM

390 posts, read 265,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not that you care. No reason would suffice.

But for those who do care why many poor Americans don't have ID's

http://brennan.3cdn.net/f5f28dd844a1..._i36m6lyhy.pdf
Lol the PDF you posted is put out by an ultra left organization.

Nice try.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Lol the PDF you posted is put out by an ultra left organization.

Nice try.
Actually.... no. It's not.

Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies