Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In another thread a poster wrote the following:

To do many necessary functions, such as driving and getting medical care, you have to have an ID in this country. I really want to know for what VALID reason a US citizen wouldn't have an ID.

I know someone is going to cite cost so I'll go ahead and supply that because I don't see where any of them are prohibitive.
Most last between 4 and 5 years.
"Thou Shall Pay for and MUST Maintain a Citizen ID and Carry It With You"
- US Constitution

Or, am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe you live in a small town where the bank tellers know you well. However, having a valid photo ID would protect you and others like you from potential check cashing frauds. What if you wanted to travel out of town, you lost your ATM card and another bank branch didn't know you?

Or what if you decided to take a road trip to Canada? Without a valid government issued ID, you can't cross any country borders.

And because of health insurance fraud, most hospitals want to see proper ID when processing a patient, just to make sure that they have the real person connected to the health insurance card that they are billing. So you could get denied medical care if a doctor isn't sure that you are the same person as the name on the medicare card.

Otherwise, in general having a government issued photo ID is a good way to make sure that a potential voter is a real US citizen and not an illegal immigrant.

YES - a real small town. New York.
I have not seen a bank teller in many years. Nor have many many people.
Most Seniors have their SS checks deposited directly into their bank accounts. If they are able, they go to an ATM to withdraw money, they write checks or pay bills online. What need is there for them to go to a Teller?

How about my roadtrip to canada? My US PAssport won;t work? But guess what, lots & lots & lots of people do not take road trips. Lots of people are unable to take trips outside of their homes.

yes - NOW Photo ID's are required to obtain many services, or to get a license for this or that. But there are just an awful lot of people who got their ID's decades ago, who opened bank accounts decades ago, etc. THey no longer have current ID's. They do not need them, excpet in those States that are attempting to suppress voting.

I still do not see how requiring a photo ID will stop voter fraud. The cases of voter fraud are very few, and most reports are primarily anecdotal. But more significant, there are probably 10,000 fake photo ID's issued to HS & college kids so they can drink compared to every one instance of a ineligible voter actually voting. It is just way too easy to get a fake ID. So people with fake ID's can vote. THat ID did lots of good, didn't it?

WE ARE NOT ALL IN THE SAME BOAT! WE MUST ACCOMODATE EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO VOTE.
As it is, not enough people are voting.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times
Its illegals that do not have ID.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Hitch hiked through the western states years back..I was not a U S citizen and did not have ID.. but I did okay...all I carried with me was a note I had written - It contained my full name- address- DOB...The only reason I carried that piece of paper was if I were to suddenly die- They would know where to send the corpse...Kind of like a little kid with a note pined on his shirt in case he got lost...No ID was an inconvenience back then- nothing more. Now- you become a non-person and you can get jerked around hell's half acre by authorities and banks. The only ID I need in the end will be etched in stone on a black granite cross.
Oh sure you did.... The nice man at customs just said Hi there have a nice walk..... Didn't ask to see any ID or any money either... sure ........

Oh I did the same thing in Canada with a full auto machine gun.... No one cared a bit...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its illegals that do not have ID.
"Thou shall be an illegal for not carrying an ID"
- US Constitution

Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
YES - a real small town. New York.
I have not seen a bank teller in many years. Nor have many many people.
Most Seniors have their SS checks deposited directly into their bank accounts. If they are able, they go to an ATM to withdraw money, they write checks or pay bills online. What need is there for them to go to a Teller?

How about my roadtrip to canada? My US PAssport won;t work? But guess what, lots & lots & lots of people do not take road trips. Lots of people are unable to take trips outside of their homes.

yes - NOW Photo ID's are required to obtain many services, or to get a license for this or that. But there are just an awful lot of people who got their ID's decades ago, who opened bank accounts decades ago, etc. THey no longer have current ID's. They do not need them, excpet in those States that are attempting to suppress voting.

I still do not see how requiring a photo ID will stop voter fraud. The cases of voter fraud are very few, and most reports are primarily anecdotal. But more significant, there are probably 10,000 fake photo ID's issued to HS & college kids so they can drink compared to every one instance of a ineligible voter actually voting. It is just way too easy to get a fake ID. So people with fake ID's can vote. THat ID did lots of good, didn't it?

WE ARE NOT ALL IN THE SAME BOAT! WE MUST ACCOMODATE EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO VOTE.
As it is, not enough people are voting.
Almost EVERY documented case of voter fraud, where a vote was cast, has been mail in absentee voting where a photo ID is not required, even by these new laws. So, if these new laws are really about voter fraud why don't any of them address the actual mechanism of voter fraud, mail in absentee ballots??? It is because these laws are voter suppression laws searching for justification.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"Thou shall be an illegal for not carrying an ID"
- US Constitution
Who said that?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Who said that?
It isn't to be found in the US Constitution? Damn!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
"Papers, please!"

And if you don't have your papers, we will arrest you!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I figure everyone should have ID of some sort, state issued if that's what we decided to be the standard. Folks who want to live "off the grid" can do so but loose some flexability, including voting. I have no problem with that. None at all. How do you vote without registering? You can get ID at that point. Done and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies