Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't think it is possible for people who are racist to melt together with those who are not, So, what will end up happening is America will be its melting pot, while the racists are tossed salad.
Possibly. And that might work out fine as long as both groups have similar socio-economic indicators. But they probably won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Used too be a melting pot..now it is tabuli salad.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
no not a melting pot, not a salad bowl,, is becoming a partitoned food tray
Thats a good one, a partitoned food tray fits the description quite well, with an occasional pea getting mixed in with the potatoes.

I know so many people including some family members who raise they're kids who are American citizens, born and raised as being primarely Mexican, French, Turkish First and Americans second. Many of them quote how great they're homelands are compared to here I scratch my head and wonder, what the hell are these people doing here if things are so great where they're from?

If I was driven to move to this country from somewhere else I would say "thank god I live in the USA and they were willing to take me". Same as an American moving permenantly somewhere else. If you don't have this attitude what the hell are you doing here other than to use us?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Lock-step? Sounds like you are comparing our dominant culture to Nazism. What I find ironic is that people like you usually have no problem with Mexico retaining its dominant Hispanic culture or China retaining its Asian culture but for some odd reason the USA isn't allowed to have a dominant, identifying culture without being referred to by your negative remarks above.

Devoid of cultural expression? What's that supposed to mean? Who is stoppiing minority cultures in this country from expressing themselves?
That is Ironic that some people are fine with a different country as striving to be monolithic from a Religous, racial or ethnic stand point but we in the USA must be Muliticutural. I'm waiting for some "Mixed pride" shirts to come out! 'Right on' to all my Mixed Brothers, cousins nephews out there!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm waiting for some "Mixed pride" shirts to come out! 'Right on' to all my Mixed Brothers, cousins nephews out there!
They're already out there for Hapa Pride. (Mixed Hawaiian.)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
The "salad bowl" is ideal, but in practice, unfortunately, America is more of a "melting pot."

Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Because of our treatment of blacks in the past, America can never really be called a melting pot.

The European migrants of the past joined together as a melting pot I think, but I don't think today's immigrants will do the same do to the racial differences. I don't even think it is possible for people of various races to melt together. Race is just too much of a difference and it will always create some form of divide among people.
I think it is culture that divides people moreso than race. We have been multi-racial for some time now and racism is far less prominant than it used to be. Multi-culturalism however does not work when you have two or more of them competing for dominance in a nation.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think it is culture that divides people moreso than race. We have been multi-racial for some time now and racism is far less prominant than it used to be. Multi-culturalism however does not work when you have two or more of them competing for dominance in a nation.
Culture is changeable though. Race is not. A second generation Mexican American and a second generation Russian American might be very similar when in comes to culture, but there will still be very apparent differences between them due to race.

These types of obstacles did not exist in previous waves of immigration. It's hardly even possible to distinguish a second generation Irish American and second generation German American for instance.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Obama and friends hve broken both the bowl and pot to scatter America's bounty on the ground.

America was a blend of ingredients, now with political correctness we are being made into a collection of cultures and countries similar to the European provincial, divisive setup.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't think it is possible for people who are racist to melt together with those who are not, So, what will end up happening is America will be its melting pot, while the racists are tossed salad.
Can't say anything more, other than, excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies