Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

The United States used to be a melting pot but we have so much illegal immigration that the elements cannot be blended together anymore. We are more of a salad and the lettuce is getting scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Culture is changeable though. Race is not. A second generation Mexican American and a second generation Russian American might be very similar when in comes to culture, but there will still be very apparent differences between them due to race.

These types of obstacles did not exist in previous waves of immigration. It's hardly even possible to distinguish a second generation Irish American and second generation German American for instance.
Subtle changes in a nation's culture is not objectionable but when it is occuring via illegal immigration and it dilutes our culture and language, it is. It isn't natural or acceptable. We were a new nation when the European immigrants came here and they blended together to become one identifying culture while still retaining some of the old culture at home. As I said, that isn't what is happening today. Immigrants are encouraged to retain their native cultures and languages out in mainstream society by our PC world today. There is no more diversity quotas either. That deters assimilation to the mainstream culture.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,429 times
Definitely a salad bowl at this point. Not sure if it will ever be a true melting pot. Different people will definitely interact with each other but at the end of the day most tend to stick with their own kind.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The United States used to be a melting pot but we have so much illegal immigration that the elements cannot be blended together anymore. We are more of a salad and the lettuce is getting scarce.
It's even harder to blend when they segregate themselves. 70% of immigrants are settling in only 7 states and tend to segregate themselves in their own communities.

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Its a mix of both but its mostly a salad bowl if you ask me, people in america always try to find a way to keep seperate from other people either by race, religion, customs etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
In reality we are not a special case (Salad bowl vs. Melting Pot) even though many make the case we are. Most every Nation has elements that like to claim that they are the most progressive with respect to they're model or the way they integrate elements of they're society. In reality all societes are still very tribal and competitive by nature and really haven't progressed much further then people of the past. Examples of Separatism, ethnic and religous intolerance are all over world.

The real Just in my opinion is 'are we better off than a more Monolithic culture such as Japan or other other countries?' This is kind of rhetorical because people will find differences between themselves and other regardless if they're of the same Culture, race or religion as they're neighbor. Look at the Caste system in many societies, it's just doesn't work when you want to utilize your entire brain potential of the men and women of your country.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-13-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM

40 posts, read 41,686 times
I do know that both metaphors are apt because this is a culture of consumption.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
In reality we are not a special case even though many make the case we are. Most every Nation has elements that like to claim that they are the most progressive with respect to they're model or the way they treat elements of they're society. In reality all societes are still very tribal and competitive by nature and really haven't progressed much further then people of the past. Examples of Separatism, ethnic and religous intolerance are all over world.
I found that growing up in NYC decades ago was more melting pot than it is today.
I have an aunt still living there that thinks it's more segregated today then it has ever been.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM

29,803 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Has anyone suggested a cesspool yet??? Let's see how much more we can screw up this country.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I found that growing up in NYC decades ago was more melting pot than it is today.
I have an aunt still living there that thinks it's more segregated today then it has ever been.
I can see that. I think when you have such a large influx of Immigrants as we have had in the last 20 years they are more apt to keep they're subculture intact ie, entire towns of one ethnic group. I have friends that grew up in certain parts of LA who said they barely had any contact with White people except for Teachers until they moved to the suburbs. Most of the areas I grew up at in the S/W were typically mixed White/Mex including my family. I don't think I met anyone that claimed to be Jewish/Italian or Irish until I was a teenager. I'm sure that is much more common back east or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies