Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The farmers have insurance and ranchers have already sold off most of their cattle.
The issue for the ranchers is no grass and high feed prices due to the cost of corn.

That bill just may hurt ranchers more. It has the USDA/DoD buying up meat to freeze.
The more cattle that go through the sale barn the lower the prices get. And it's the sales price that goes to the farmer.
The USDA/DoD buying meat goes to your Cargill/Perdue/Tyson who have processed the meat.
The farmers won't see any additional funds to help them; it will go to the processors who will sell their over supply to the government.

This very thing happened in Texas last summer with drought and no hay and high feed prices. Only Texas didn't get any Fed help..they had to tough it through.
I know a quick way to lower the price of corn, stop using it for fuel and go back to using it for food only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Wow how misinformed are people and our president. The farm bill was passed by the house of reps, weeks ago. The reason nothing has been done is----- Harry Reid, you know the Democrat majority leader of the Senate.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I know a quick way to lower the price of corn, stop using it for fuel and go back to using it for food only.
The UN formally asked the US to do just that. The US replied that EPA regulations say 15% corn this year in our gas..basically telling the UN to blow off.

Corn is at record highs..nearly $9.00/bushel. You will feel that in your food and gas tank.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Wow how misinformed are people and our president. The farm bill was passed by the house of reps, weeks ago. The reason nothing has been done is----- Harry Reid, you know the Democrat majority leader of the Senate.

They won't vote on the Senate version that passed, the Senate isn't voting on the house version.

So here we are, broken congress.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It took 12 posts to get to the truth. LOL I knew that. Just wondered if I would be the one to have to tell them? My question is, does this make the president look uninformed or untruthful. Do his followers worship him so much that they never check to see if what he says is true?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It took 12 posts to get to the truth. LOL I knew that. Just wondered if I would be the one to have to tell them? My question is, does this make the president look uninformed or untruthful. Do his followers worship him so much that they never check to see if what he says is true?
No, the "truth" is that Ryan is holding this up. Obama said so himself today in Iowa to all those farmers and ranchers.
(better let you guys know this is sarcasm here)

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Talk about grandstanding for your campaign. This is what he's telling the people of Iowa.

Starving and destitute farmers and ranchers all because Ryan is blocking his bill.
Can this campaign get any more extreme ?

Obama: Ryan
Kicking off a three-day bus tour of Iowa, President Barack Obama accused newly minted Republican vice presidential hopeful Paul Ryan of "standing in the way" of legislation meant to help farmers and ranchers struggling in the face of the worst drought in a half-century. Obama also unveiled a $170 million package to help the battered agricultural sector.
If Obamie REALLY wanted to help the poor ranchers he would end the Ethonal mandates!!!!
Some of you beat me too it!!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
Right now the Farm Bill is not as important as emergency funding for farm loss due to drought. What Obama is gonna do is have the USDA purchase $170 million dollars of pork, lamb, chicken and catfish for school programs, commodity programs, etc. and what I am thinking is those purchases will be from corporate farms like Tyson, Hillshire,and the like. That is just a small percentage of that production anyway. Notice beef wasn't included? Corporations havent taken over the beef industry because the Cattlemen's Association look after their own but they don't financially help cattle ranchers. Since 40% of corn has been mandated to produce fuel, it doesn't help corn producers either. The drought in Okla. in 1997 or 1998 forced me to sell quality heifers for 27cents/lb. It sucked. There wasn't enough grass, not enough hay regardless if cubes or other feed was supplemented. Farm Bills can be unfairly utilized, but it p'd me off when Senator Inhoff voted the Farm Bill for Okla down, voted no or whatever to stop the peanut fund. That was the end of peanut production. Some programs paid people to not plant. I don't know why. When there was farm bill funding for peanuts in Ok. it seemed most of the monies went to the local USDA managers friends or to a couple who would both file for loss and get checks in both of their names.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
The UN formally asked the US to do just that. The US replied that EPA regulations say 15% corn this year in our gas..basically telling the UN to blow off.

Corn is at record highs..nearly $9.00/bushel. You will feel that in your food and gas tank.
It also lowers a vehicle's MPG. Natural (non-ethanol blend) gasoline is better for cars, ATVs, boats, etc. ethanol is garbage. Come up with a way to make fuel or paper or some other product from kudzu!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Quote:
The farmers have insurance and ranchers have already sold off most of their cattle.
The issue for the ranchers is no grass and high feed prices due to the cost of corn.

That bill just may hurt ranchers more. It has the USDA/DoD buying up meat to freeze.
The more cattle that go through the sale barn the lower the prices get. And it's the sales price that goes to the farmer.
The USDA/DoD buying meat goes to your Cargill/Perdue/Tyson who have processed the meat.
The farmers won't see any additional funds to help them; it will go to the processors who will sell their over supply to the government.

This very thing happened in Texas last summer with drought and no hay and high feed prices. Only Texas didn't get any Fed help..they had to tough it through.
It wasn't an election year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies