Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

When I orginally joined I was a ignorant teen but through the years I've become more open-minded especially because of this forum. I orginally believed that Conservatives we're the devil, and Liberals were perfect; but after reading many great posts (and also many not so intelligent posts) from both sides I've grown to respect both parties equally. I still lean more to the liberal spectrum when it comes to my personal ideology but now I actually have realize I can agree with some things conservatives say as well. Many friends I have, know a bit about politics and now I outshine them. Maybe it's because of the knowledge I'm receiving in college but most of my open-mindless is come from you, the posters.

How has this forum been beneficial for you? Have you become more open or closed mind to politics? When you orginally read this forum were you more conservative/liberal and have since evolved your political beliefs? Pretty much give me your personal assessment on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
The opposite from me, I used to think Liberals were Nazis like my friend in College had emotionally told me and conservatives were perfect saints... Then I learned some history and thought deeply about different policies. I'm a Libertarian so I lead and always have supported Democrats... currently the Democrats have pretty much every position the Conservatives used to have 15 years ago.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I learn something new everyday from this forum.

I had my political ideals solidified a long time ago. I try and take it issue by issue.

But this forum can educate you, and if you're lucky, you can educate others.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default It's has boosted my belief that Republicans are imbeciles

This forum has solidified my belief that Conservatives are far more clueless than I ever dreamed, completely unsuited to be a major political party in this country. The more I read their views and ridiculous slants, the more it becomes obvious that they are suffering from brain damage, severe mental disorders, and are blinded by bigotry and regression. C-D has been a place for me to laugh at the Regressives, while always enjoying the superior position as someone who is and will always be anti-Conservative, anti-Klan, anti-Republican. Great to always be among the most enlightened in this country.

Enjoy President Obama's second term.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
i've learned that far-right and far-left individuals are usually motivated by personal and psychological issues, not actual policy.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
I can't learn anything from this forum, most these posters are too ignorant and it's a lot of racism or hatred for minorities on here. Most these guys feel if America was 90% white we would have no problems and blame everything on the backs of blacks particularly.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can learn anything on cd and be open minded even ought to debate without closing your ears to the other half of the argument. The only thing these people on here show is vile hatred and blaming everything bad on dems. These people actually believe entitlements are draining America, entitlements not the wars, foreign aid, inflation, lack of good American products but helping people who are poor is what's killing this country. America can't even build a decent car that Americans want, no decent American made products to compete with Samsung and Apple that's actually made on American soil but helping poor people is killing America.

I'm sorry but what in the hell do you learn from posting on here? I'm asking a serious question, these guys are biased and ignorant and believe what they want to believe and don't even care about anything you say.

I could never learn from such a biased audience that blames all the problems on people they naturally dislike.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
When I orginally joined I was a ignorant teen but through the years I've become more open-minded especially because of this forum. I orginally believed that Conservatives we're the devil, and Liberals were perfect; but after reading many great posts (and also many not so intelligent posts) from both sides I've grown to respect both parties equally. I still lean more to the liberal spectrum when it comes to my personal ideology but now I actually have realize I can agree with some things conservatives say as well. Many friends I have, know a bit about politics and now I outshine them. Maybe it's because of the knowledge I'm receiving in college but most of my open-mindless is come from you, the posters.

How has this forum been beneficial for you? Have you become more open or closed mind to politics? When you orginally read this forum were you more conservative/liberal and have since evolved your political beliefs? Pretty much give me your personal assessment on this forum.
I've learned that there are a lot of horrible things that people think that they're not willing to say in public. All in all though, it's been a pretty good forum. You have a couple of good debates, and the rest is entertainment--sometimes maddening, but entertaining nonetheless.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've learned that far-right and far-left individuals are usually motivated by personal and psychological issues, not actual policy.
yep, me too. And I've also learned that both sides are very, very angry.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
If you are so engrossed with your political ideology that you cannot examine anothers viewpoint with an open mind, then, CD will not help you. No matter if you are far left or far right, you are too constrained with your own point of view, then you will learn nothing. I have learned a few things from both the left and the right, but very little from the "over the top" crowd on either side. Both of the extremes are vile and unconstructive.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

It is a source of knowledge sometimes, amusement sometimes, and a conundrum others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies