Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
does an employee have an obligation to work to the best of his ability, or should he just work to what he feels his paycheck merits?

If he is on a low wage, does he have a right to do the bare minimum that he can get away with - in other words, what is the incentive for the floor sweeper on min wage at MacD's?

if he gets fired, then so what.

but if we look at this the other way around, those on much higher salaries and profit earnings, say they must get these wages otherwise they would not work so hard and create jobs.

Anyone see the glaring double standard here

so what is it to be?
Well, let's look at it the other way. If you work to the bare minimum, you're the first person I'll lay off when I have to cut jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
It's also flawed because the references that one could get as a floor-sweeper would only lead to another floor-sweeping position.
Yes, that's another flaw, and a dramatic one.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,668 times
To the level of his pay. Working hard doesn't mean anything these days.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
It varies with every job. Some jobs I have worked the harder I worked one day meant the easier my work would be the next day or the next week, and if I slacked off all that work was just piling up on me. My freshman year in college I had a cleaning job. I must have impressed some one because the cleaning company offered to send me to a management training program. This was a very large national or international company. I didn't accept the offer (if I did I would be retired by now) ,because I was on a different career path.
The real challenge is to only work jobs that you like or that you are good at and try to have a life evenings and weekends with the rest of society.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
And it is this attitude which keeps people at the low pay, and no advancement. Yet then they want to complain that they are in a position that isn't going anywhere.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
does an employee have an obligation to work to the best of his ability, or should he just work to what he feels his paycheck merits?

If he is on a low wage, does he have a right to do the bare minimum that he can get away with - in other words, what is the incentive for the floor sweeper on min wage at MacD's?

if he gets fired, then so what.

but if we look at this the other way around, those on much higher salaries and profit earnings, say they must get these wages otherwise they would not work so hard and create jobs.

Anyone see the glaring double standard here

so what is it to be?
I only know one way to work and no matter what I'm paid I'll give 100% wherever I am. I would be looking for another job the entire time however if it was bad pay and benefits.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And it is this attitude which keeps people at the low pay, and no advancement. Yet then they want to complain that they are in a position that isn't going anywhere.
No, it is not. I can give numerous examples of people I know that work hard and put the time in that have never made it anywhere. My mother has worked her ass off, yet still makes barely above minimum wage and numerous people off the streets have taken a position that should have been hers long ago. The reason she doesn't get it is because her boss dislikes her. The only thing you can do about that is leave the job, but that entails starting anew and the new situation may end up just like the last.

Don't give me that crap.

edit: I know of a person that has worked at a place for 5 years in a part-time position. She has tried to get a full-time position the entire time she has been there. And she has a master's degree that is extremely pertinent to the job. And yet she cannot get a full-time position because her boss dislikes her.

We are not living in some fairy land where hard work is rewarded. It is all about who you know and who you blow in this world.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 AM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
I think you're wrong. I think there are people out there who still respect hard workers. My Dad died in Dec of 2010. He ran a farm for 40 years and retired. He couldn't take retirement (sitting around as he put it) so he went to work as a janitor for the local school district. He worked there until he was 75-never took a sick day and banked weeks of vacation. He was just a machine and was happiest when there was a job to do.

I talked to a guy who worked with him at his funeral, told me that my Dad would work guys half his age into the ground.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Should an employee work to the best of his ability, or only to the level of his pay?

It's simple, do your job and do it well, That's what employers pay you to do and when you do a good job you feel better about yourself, if you don't like the job you are doing find another. I'm surprised how hard it is to get good workers, people act like they are doing you a favor...wrong, you are getting paid to do that job.
When i say "you" I mean it in a general term.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
No, it is not. I can give numerous examples of people I know that work hard and put the time in that have never made it anywhere. My mother has worked her ass off, yet still makes barely above minimum wage and numerous people off the streets have taken a position that should have been hers long ago. The reason she doesn't get it is because her boss dislikes her. The only thing you can do about that is leave the job, but that entails starting anew and the new situation may end up just like the last.

Don't give me that crap.

edit: I know of a person that has worked at a place for 5 years in a part-time position. She has tried to get a full-time position the entire time she has been there. And she has a master's degree that is extremely pertinent to the job. And yet she cannot get a full-time position because her boss dislikes her.

We are not living in some fairy land where hard work is rewarded. It is all about who you know and who you blow in this world.
And I can give numerous examples of people I know that don't work hard, and figure there isnt a point, so they miss out on advancement and pay.

Lets take for example two techs I hired last year. They both start out at the same pay, within 6months, one of the techs I advanced to journeyman pay, which is 2.5 times higher then the starting wage. He worked his butt off, tried to learn everything he could, so he advanced. The other tech didn't show any initiative, he would complete a scheduled task, and then stand around unless someone told him to do something. Well, needless to say, he didn't get promoted and didn't receive the pay raise. He wanted to whine and complain about it, well, needless to say, he ended up with no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies