Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why is this "news", or even controversial?

Of course the Russians have subs off our shores, just as we have subs off theirs. Subs are virtually undetected when they're designed right. That's their whole purpose, and has been ever since the Turtle. And many modern subs "operate" by finding a cozy spot on the bottom that isn't too far down, and sitting there for days or weeks, doing absolutely nothing... until they receive orders to launch their missiles.

The unusual thing is NOT that we didn't detect it for a month.

The unusual thing is that, after a month, we DID detect it. I'll bet that bummed the Russians out.
Have you not heard?

North Korea attacks Deepwater Horizon Oil Platform in the Gulf of Mexico - Deepwater Part One - Destination Yisra'el
US Orders Blackout Over North Korean Torpedoing Of Gulf Of Mexico Oil Rig | EUTimes.net
Oil rig in the Gulf sunk by a North Korean torpedo - National Homeland Security | Examiner.com

First it was the North Koreans, now it is the Russians. OMG!

I would not put it past them to try to torpedo Texas.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM

308 posts, read 896,602 times
Russian Navy is in shambles and has virtually no power projection beyond their coastal seas...

just take it from me, a Russian, who knows a little bit about the subject (my grandpa is a submarine engineer). all they are capable of nowadays is to "show the flag" in distant exotic ports and then sail home praying to god that they dont sink...

even if there was a Russian submarine in the gulf of Mexico (which I doubt), it is hardly something to worry about. US Navy is light years ahead of pretty much all the nations combined, its not even a close competition. I wouldnt worry about it all.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm willing to bet we have subs of of their shores, as well as China's. I'm sure they're well aware of it too. So what do you propose? Should we sink their sub, and cause an international incident?
I think we should whisper to their leaders that our leader will have a lot more liberty of action once he gets re-elected. You did read that that specific sub is loaded with missiles to be used against American subs with the same weapons, didn't you?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Just a taste.

Undersea Wireless Sensor Network

Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think we should whisper to their leaders that our leader will have a lot more liberty of action once he gets re-elected. You did read that that 'alleged' specific sub is loaded with missiles to be used against American subs with the same weapons, didn't you?
Sorry, you left a word out.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Bent Bow, Quotes as these come to mind.....

“What luck for the rulers that men do not think”

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”

“All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.”

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No. Not really.

But it's very good at detecting Russian subs in the Gulf of Mexico.

Try to find an actual source for this story in that entire tendentious article.

Hint: You won't.

Here's your first clue that the claim is total, unadulterated bull****.

Just chew on that assertion for a couple moments. Go ahead. Think deeply about what it says.

If you can't figure out then that people are pulling nonsense out of their asses, then... well, you're just not that smart.

So now if we believe that Obama really told the Russian that he would have more flexibility after his reelection we are not very smart? I guess you didn't hear that open mike gaffe. Does that make you smarter than we are. You need a reporting for that statement.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Maybe it was looking for Mexico

Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
It must have a caterpillar drive!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Sorry, you left a word out.
I guess I am one of those dummies that The Dude keeps talking about but I don't see the word you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies