Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

Were you just talking to yourself right there? Why 1) would anyone care if your brother left MN and 2) why would you ask then answer yourself?

WTF does that have to do with Voter Fraud or Ex-Felons?
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Republicans argue, anyone can obtain a photo ID with a modest amount of effort if they really want to vote. And isn't this small amount of inconvenience worth it in order to crack down on fraud?
Sure—but first there needs to be some actual fraud to crack down on. And that turns out to be remarkably elusive.

That's not to say that there's none at all. In a country of 300 million you'll find a bit of almost anything. But multiple studies taking different approaches have all come to the same conclusion: The rate of voter fraud in American elections is close to zero.

In her 2010 book, The Myth of Voter Fraud, Lorraine Minnite tracked down every single case brought by the Justice Department between 1996 and 2005 and found that the number of defendants had increased by roughly 1,000 percent under John Ash-croft. But that only represents an increase from about six defendants per year to 60, and only a fraction of those were ever convicted of anything. A New York Times investigation in 2007 concluded that only 86 people had been convicted of voter fraud during the previous five years. Many of those appear to have simply made mistakes on registration forms or misunderstood eligibility rules, and more than 30 of the rest were penny-ante vote-buying schemes in local races for judge or sheriff. The investigation found virtually no evidence of any organized efforts to skew elections at the federal level.

The Dog That Voted and Other Election Fraud Yarns | Mother Jones

Now, voter surpression is an actual issue and Republicans are doing their best to utilize this despicable tactic to steal the election. Guess they don't have confidence in their candidate to get elected on his popularity and merits.
Blah, blah, blah...... We have a recent example from Florida. Of the two hundred people removed from Florida voter rolls that were absolutely determined to be ineligible to vote 100 of them had voted and an even more remarkable number is that 100 of those people removed were from one county alone that was the only one being aggressive in removing them.

EDIT.... BTW if you're going to quote other peoples material do everyone a favor and use the quote tags, that is what they are there for.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-14-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Lets include some more of the wiki article that is pertinent. Most people think of sentence completed as when one gets out without thinking of the parole part. Here is the last paragraph of said wiki article.

It is a felony if they register to
vote before they have completed their sentence and probation and their civil rights have
been reinstated.

Now maybe we need to determine how many of that 1099 had completed their sentences and been notified that their civil and voting rights had been restored.
Yes.. I am sure lots of felons on parole are risking going back to prison, with another felony charge, so they can pull a lever for Al Franken. Riiiighhhttt....

I think if you believe enough conspiracy theories, your mind warps.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I will always have to question the methods used to win the Senatorial election for the Democrat candidate in Minnesota in 2008. Of course, there is no possible voter fraud discussed in this link, is there? I thought there was plenty of it at the time and sure see it in this little piece. Now why was it that the Democrats had to "win" that election? It seems there was something really important but I just can't remember why it was so important. It wasn't just because Franken was out of a job so what was it.

When 1,099 Felons Vote In A Race Won By 312 Ballots - Byron York - [page]
How would the new Voter ID laws either passed or proposed have prevented this type of voter fraud?

Seems to me that a felon on the voter roles with a valid ID would be allowed to vote.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I'll bite. Is your brother an ex-felon, or a previously convicted felon?
My brother moved to Akron, Ohio in 1983 where he was a wheel at the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. I don't believe they hire felons to sit that high up and he retired from the job after 36 years with the Company. He died of cancer in 2002 so I don't know what he is doing these days but since I am a Christian although not as good as he was, I think I know where he is.

No, he moved to move up in the company and for no other reason since his wife and kids loved the Minnesota winters that he hated. I really am glad he didn't live long enough to see that election of 2008 stolen for Franken. Yes, he was further right than I am.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

Were you just talking to yourself right there? Why 1) would anyone care if your brother left MN and 2) why would you ask then answer yourself?

WTF does that have to do with Voter Fraud or Ex-Felons?
He knew about Minnesota voting laws when he left in 1980 but they may have changed since then.

Hey, thanks for admitting your confusion. I will try you out again some time.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
1. Since ex-felons have the right to vote in Minnesota... where is the alleged fraud here?

2. How do you know all the ex-felons didn't vote Republican?
Some of those who had their votes dismissed weren't really ex-felons yet in that although they were not in prison they hadn't served out their complete pardons. Don't ever read any of that kind of stuff even when your buddies provide links to read.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Huh? Are you calling me ignorant? That's really pretty nasty, you know.
You didn't seem to know what the score was. HD did that same thing to me earlier today and I just returned the favor to one of his heavy followers.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes.. I am sure lots of felons on parole are risking going back to prison, with another felony charge, so they can pull a lever for Al Franken. Riiiighhhttt....

I think if you believe enough conspiracy theories, your mind warps.
You know very well that money makes many people brave, especially when they need some spending money. I don't know how much it would take to make one of them stupidly brave, but the fact that they had been convicted and served some time tells me that they aren't the sharpest tacks in the box.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How would the new Voter ID laws either passed or proposed have prevented this type of voter fraud?

Seems to me that a felon on the voter roles with a valid ID would be allowed to vote.
I really don't know how voting laws are enforced in your state or city but in my small town felons names are removed from the rolls and not replaced till reregister takes place. Also, we are so small that most everybody knows most everybody else.

I am sure that you don't understand how the ID would work to help judges know who was trying to vote. How many things can't you do in your state without ID that are restrictions of actual rights? I ask this because I don't consider voting a right, only a privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies