Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,226,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The "system"??? What are you talking about?

Zimmerman's lawyer is saying that the case is more self-defense than SYG. Who attacked whom would go more to the SYG law. What is it you're unable to understand about Zimmerman's own attorney saying that the case is about self-defense, Zimmerman's inability to get away during the fight?

Yes, it is a tragic incident. Hopefully neighborhood watch people will NOT go out "policing" the neighborhood with guns anymore as a result of what happened here. And innocent teenager was killed, his life cut short, all because of the horrific missperceptions of a neighborhood watch person who was looking to be a hero.
I don't know what you've been reading (or smoking), but from what I have read about Martin and what he was doing that night, he was not an "innocent teen." But I realize that is how the MSM have created his image. Even the President of the United States said, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin." So, we have an teen, that looks like he is a 12 year old choir boy, out seeking a snack, not something to smoke. And though he was out longer than he should have been if only going for a snack, since he was staying only minutes away, there is certainly, in no way, any possibility that he was up to no good ... like casing the neighborhood, perhaps? A neighborhood that had recently been experiencing numerous break-ins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,390,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Just FYI - Florida has a Florida Indigent Defense Budget from which indigent case costs are drawn. Florida and a few other states have a higher indigent defense budget than other states.

Also, there was such a high interest from the public in reading the most important pleadings and depositions filed in the Casey Anthony case that the Clerk's office, during the pendency of the case, put a link on their website and Morgan & Morgan had put a link on their website to Zenida Gonzalez court filings. I haven't seen one put on by Seminole County yet for Zimmerman.

See here for example:

Casey Anthony Case - Zenaida Gonzalez v. Casey Anthony

Bankruptcy courts put links on their websites for information regarding major bankruptcies.

Law firms put links on their websites for major class action cases.
Here's the link to court file for Zimmerman:

Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Courts - Brevard and Seminole Counties Florida

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't know what you've been reading (or smoking), but from what I have read about Martin and what he was doing that night, he was not an "innocent teen." But I realize that is how the MSM have created his image. Even the President of the United States said, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin." So, we have an teen, that looks like he is a 12 year old choir boy, out seeking a snack, not something to smoke. And though he was out longer than he should have been if only going for a snack, since he was staying only minutes away, there is certainly, in no way, any possibility that he was up to no good ... like casing the neighborhood, perhaps? A neighborhood that had recently been experiencing numerous break-ins?
Hey, I've posted the link to the court file several times already.

You're little snarky remark about what I've been "smoking" did not go unnoticed. What's your problem? If someone disagrees with you, THAT'S the kind of response you give rather than any links at all to your sources? To me that indicates intellectual laziness. Get your own house in order before you try throwing out crap like someone must be "intoxicated" in some way as a defense of your position.

What do you think is more reliable, the information in the court file or the information you're finding on gossip web sites which you won't even bother to cite? The court file contains evidence which can or will be used in the trial. The jury will hear nothing other than the evidence put on at trial.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
How in the hell do you blow through 225k and you haven't even stepped inside of the courtroom yet? Has anyone asked that question?

I know lawyers aren't cheap, but damn, it's not like they ONLY work on his case 24/7. Is he using that money for something else?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,950,999 times
Quote:
I don't know what you've been reading (or smoking), but from what I have read about Martin and what he was doing that night, he was not an "innocent teen."
It's now a crime to walk with iced tea and skittles in the rain while on the way home? Reading and smoking aside, what fraking country do you live in?

Quote:
"If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin." So, we have an teen, that looks like he is a 12 year old choir boy, out seeking a snack, not something to smoke.
So the new argument is that The Retreat at Twin Lakes is the hub of a thriving open air drug market? God help those felonious teenagers in the Hamptons or Grosse Pointe who go over to Chad's or Muffy's for bag of reefer.

Quote:
And though he was out longer than he should have been if only going for a snack, since he was staying only minutes away, there is certainly, in no way, any possibility that he was up to no good ... like casing the neighborhood, perhaps? A neighborhood that had recently been experiencing numerous break-ins?
Perhaps we should further explore the idea of who is smoking and who isn't.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
What "bothers" me is your "know it all" arrogance, and your assumption that because I do not have links saved to whatever articles I have read about this case, which have been many, my "sources" are automatically misleading or just "gossip."

If at the time I read a piece I thought I was going to need to provide the link for you, months later, believe me I would have saved it. I do not save links to every article I read. But that does not mean I am ineligible to respond to threads on this forum. Does it? And I am certainly not going to do the research to find the source just for your benefit.

I believe my posts on this topic (or any other topic) are thought provoking, cogent, and not based on hearsay. They are my opinion. But I arrive at my opinion based on knowledge and truth as I see it. I attempt to write clearly, and make my points understandable. I am not, however, pretending to be a lawyer.

There is no doubt that the MSM has engaged in the shaping of public opinion on this against George Zimmerman, and Martin has been portrayed as a choir boy. Anyone who believes otherwise is seriously naive.
Nobody said you have to like my "style." We're talking about a criminal case where there is access to the court file which contains evidence the state has turned over to the defense in discovery. You don't have to rely on MSM for your information.

Nobody has claimed that you're "ineligible" to respond or post in this thread or any other forum on this board. You're playing the "victim" with that one.

Obviously you're not pretending to be a lawyer. And what makes you think that attorneys are the only people who are familiar with court procedures, the justice system, and what happens in a court room?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How in the hell do you blow through 225k and you haven't even stepped inside of the courtroom yet? Has anyone asked that question?

I know lawyers aren't cheap, but damn, it's not like they ONLY work on his case 24/7. Is he using that money for something else?
that's the problem. He did spend it on "something else".....personal credit card bills and "security"....are just a couple things I remember off-the-top of my head

Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,950,999 times
Quote:
I wonder how it is that evidence in a criminal case that has yet to go to trial are allowed to be viewed by the public online? Something about that bothers me.
Well being so knowledgeable about the law and court room procedures then you would know that the appropriate venue for your question would be directed to the Florida legislature that enacted some of the most expansive sunshine laws in the country. Laws which grant to public to much of the information that has so far been published.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,476,030 times
Quote:
I wonder how it is that evidence in a criminal case that has yet to go to trial are allowed to be viewed by the public online? Something about that bothers me.
I'm a believer in sunshine laws, but imo Florida's law goes too far in releasing what Might be introduced at a trial. Other than giving folks like us something to yap about, the benefits to the legal system or public escape me. A trial itself should be public. Even at trial, we know some things are kept from the jury and public. Seems like open government run amuck.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,709,429 times
It doesn't matter how many times you put DEFENSE in all CAPS, it's not what I said. I said this "whole thing" is going to cost them millions. And I linked an article to show the city of Sanford had already spent about $400K and was asking the state for more money because apparently their *budget* (aka taxpayers money) was running out.

I understand your method is to shout people down when your wrong, but that doesn't make you any less wrong.

No matter how many rolled eyes and slapped head icons you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The bolded portion of your post is simply a lie, as is shown below. I never use the word "lie" when referring to a mistake or opinion or belief in a post; however, you post called for an exception in my normal responses.

I think the problem here is you're just refusing to acknowledge the obvious...taxpayer money is divided up for various uses by state legislatures and that allocation of the taxpayers' money is called a STATE BUDGET.

So, below is MY answer to your post about Zimmerman's DEFENSE costing the taxpayers "millions"....(this is from your link in your post.) You were commenting on a post referring to Zimmerman having to use a public defender because he will likely run out of money. Indeed, Zimmerman's DEFENSE will not cost millions. Your post is not clear....."this whole thing" certainly sounded like you were saying that the defense would get less money for witnesses but the "whole thing" (meaning Zimmerman's defense) will cost taxpayers millions. Perhaps better writing skills would have conveyed what you meant more clearly. Look at your sentence structure. You should have said, "the whole case"...to be clear....and not "the whole thing." What does the "thing" refer to in your sentence when you're talking about the DEFENSE COSTS.....geeezzz.

YOUR POST: No he won't. O'mara took the case pro-bono before he even knew there was a defense fund. It means the taxpayers of FL will end up paying for his defense. He'll get less money for the defense witnesses, but this whole thing will end up costing the tax payers millions. Sucks to be taxpayer in FL.

MY ANSWER: "Cost the taxpayers millions.....No, it won't. The State of Florida has a budget just like every other state. There are limits to the amount of money allowed by the defense for these cases. Do you really think that every felony case taken on by the public defender's office or a CONTRACT public defender is allocated "millions" of dollars for the defense? Geeezzz. That's just stupid.

Btw, again, what was your point? Should Florida not have criminal trials because doing so cost a lot of money? Does your state not allocate taxpayer money for the criminal justice system in their State Budget? AGAIN, Zimmerman's DEFENSE will not COST the state "millions" because there is a limit to how much money is budgeted for the defense of criminal cases. There are many ways to adequately defend a criminal case for less than "millions." Next time you make a post, brush up on those writing skills and make sure you say correctly what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies