Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Calling someone a Mexican, has become politically incorrect. Even if they are from Mexico and a Mexican citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
"Political correctness" is just a term given to it. It was originally known as "caring about someone else's feelings and not just your own, and giving a damn about the influence you have on those around you."

No surprise we needed a name for it. But it is surprising that so many people have forgotten what it refers to.
Absolutely. When certain people can't come up with a good rebuttal to an argument, they say you're being politically correct, or they blame the "liberal media". They're both red herrings.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
If someone asked you to call them Bob and not Robert or Bobby, would you respect their wishes? Why is it so difficult for some people to respect people's wishes when it comes to being called African-American and not Black, or Black and not African-American? Does respecting people's preferences for which name to be used stifle thought and feel like censorship? Is calling someone Mike and not Michael or Jo and not Joanne suppressing your freedom of speech? Why is it that when people have a preference for how a part of their identity is referred to, some people instantly equate that with censorship and thought control? For example, I prefer to be called blind and not visually-impaired or non-sighted or sightless. I don't get all bent out of shape if someone calls me one of the others, but if someone asks me my preference, I appreciate the gesture, and let them know nicely, just as if I ask someone if they prefer to be called Jennifer, Jenny, Jen, etc. Respecting people's wishes in terms of how to refer to an aspect of their identity is no different than respecting people's wishes in terms of what name to use with them, IMO.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Calling someone a Mexican, has become politically incorrect. Even if they are from Mexico and a Mexican citizen.
That would be an example of political correctness gone too far.

On this, I'd say it depends on the forum. My gf calls herself a Mexican, though she's born and raised here, but I think she'd use the term "Hispanic" if she ever went on TV for some intellectual discussion.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I have never seen
anyone accuse of people against military to be politically incorrect.
Stupid , Weak , i have seen them called ,politically incorrect i have not seen that
The point is that there is an attempt to enforce a particular side's idea of what is permissible to say. That's political correctness whether you use the term or not.

The term "political correctness" was coined by its critics anyway.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,642 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It annoys me when people say that political correctness is always 'liberal'. For example, it's politically incorrect to say you are against the military, or against the death penalty. It's also politically incorrect to say you're anti-capitalism.
Buyers remorse? The left owns political correctness! Own up.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The point is that there is an attempt to enforce a particular side's idea of what is permissible to say. That's political correctness whether you use the term or not.

The term "political correctness" was coined by its critics anyway.
It's kind of sad that taking people's basic preferences into account has to be broken down into "permissibles." You're allowed to not respect people's preferences or wishes for what to be called, but don't you just want to, out of basic respect?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's kind of sad that taking people's basic preferences into account has to be broken down into "permissibles." You're allowed to not respect people's preferences or wishes for what to be called, but don't you just want to, out of basic respect?
Yes, that's true, but what's now called political correctness often goes beyond that toward an enforced orthodoxy of ideas, not simply having good manners.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That would be an example of political correctness gone too far.

On this, I'd say it depends on the forum. My gf calls herself a Mexican, though she's born and raised here, but I think she'd use the term "Hispanic" if she ever went on TV for some intellectual discussion.

Just as the "N" word get slung around in certain communities, but on camera, they would suddenly become African American, yet they have never ever been to Africa, much less born there.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Political correctness is governments way of pushing something that in its full view, is a very bad thing.

It goes back to renaming public assistance, which was unconstitutional, Welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies