Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I don't "hate" anyone.

I DO think John Kerry is a traitor however. He is certainly a disgrace to a Naval uniform!
The traitors are those who led us into a war of no purpose, they disgraced the offices they held.

Quote:
I also don't believe the war in Vietnam was "lost" by the USA or that it didn't serve a great purpose when you look at the overall history of the Cold War.
A great purpose? WHAT would that be other than making a lot of $$$ for some people?

It's alleged purpose was to keep COMMUNISM'S! spread to South Vietnam.

COMMUNISM did spread to South Vietnam and life in America went on as usual.

Apparently the stated purposed offered NO benefit to the US

Quote:
I never said that. I said that John Kerry couldn't have POSSIBLY witnessed all the atrocities he said were going on like it happened every day in his short time in actual combat.
IIRC correctly he didn't claim he personally witnessed everything he reported. Have anything to refute that?

Quote:
I PERSONALLY witnessed quite a few atrocities committed by the North Vietnamese however. No one ever mentions that.
You apparently don't read much, it's mentioned in many histories of that era.

Quote:
I don't recall the MILITARY PRESS stabbing us in the back???

I DO however recall seeing actual video clips of John Kerry lying before Congress.
Military press officers caused lies to be spread in the media, exactly what you accused Kerry of doing. Falsely claiming the war was going well and victory would come easily stabbed the entire country in the back, Kerry's alleged sins pale in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,403 times
The "greater purpose" is seen in the overall history of the Cold War.

The Vietnam war was successful when viewed from a historic perspective.....

It showed the Communists that we would stand up to them at every corner when they attempted to overrun a nation of people who merely wanted peace and democracy.

It cost the Communists WAY more in terms of money and casualties than we experienced.

Korea was the fist rung in the ladder of standing up to them.
Vietnam was the second, and so on.

Eventually, the Communists realized that we would keep doing that at every rung in the ladder.

Eventually, it caused the collapse of their expansionist ways and their way of government.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
LOL, the right is getting more and more despirate. A group of people who claim to be former Intelliegence and special forces are out to get Obama. Funny how those who were actually there haven't said a word about this. I guess they are the true Americans. Sorry but I wouldn't believe a word from soemone who claims to have inside knowledge without proof.

You mean like Harry Reid and the Romney tax joke? Could have sworn I saw posts from you saying Romney HAD to prove the accusations weren't true! My Bad.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,251 times
Quote:

It showed the Communists that we would stand up to them at every corner when they attempted to overrun a nation of people who merely wanted peace and democracy.

It cost the Communists WAY more in terms of money and casualties than we experienced.

Eventually, the Communists realized that we would keep doing that at every rung in the ladder.

Eventually, it caused the collapse of their expansionist ways and their way of government.
Are you arguing, in essence, that Vietnam was a "good" war, as in, a war of necessity? Was it really necessary to accomplish the objectives you detail above?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Are you arguing, in essence, that Vietnam was a "good" war, as in, a war of necessity? Was it really necessary to accomplish the objectives you detail above?
If you enjoy the fact that the Cold War has ended and that Communism is no longer on a tack to spread itself forcefully onto people who only want peace and Democracy...then I'd say it was well worth it.

Even China is taking up Capitalistic ways.

So yes, it was a triumph in the overall scheme of things.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
How the hell can you speak of a war leaving more than 58,000 Americans dead and more than 150,000 Americans wounded in the context of COLD War?

That you do says little for your credibility

In case you haven't heard, the 'Domino Theory' was pure, unadulterated, war-mongering BS other than the fact if the pizza wasn't there in 30 minutes it was free.

I've read in a number places Johnson saying he took us to war because he was afraid of appearing soft on COMMUNISM! , NOT that Vietnam represented any true threat to the American way of life. Maybe I'm just silly but I don't believe appearances is good reason for war. Vietnam was the product of sniveling McCarthyites seeing COMMUNISTS! behind every bush and not much else.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How the hell can you speak of a war leaving more than 58,000 Americans dead and more than 150,000 Americans wounded in the context of COLD War?

That you do says little for your credibility

My credibility?

Just for reference sake.....how old were you during the Vietnam War? How much of the Cold War did you live through?

I lived through the ENTIRE Cold War.

It wasn't always just talk, but it also included actual combat too. Anyone who doesn't think the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War weren't a part of the Cold War is highly confused.

And I think I revere those 58,000 of MY generation, some of whom I personally as a Corpsman sent home in boxes, as much if not more than you.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
Default OPSEC: Former SEALs and CIA Operatives to Launch Campaign about Leaks and Obama's Role in bin Laden's Death

Supposedly a non-partisan group but they want to blame the President for leaks and accuse him of bragging about getting bin Laden. I'm sure it's pure coincidence that one of the group ran unsuccessfully for Congressional seat as a Republican. Guess they didn't get the message from the Admiral:

In a "CNN interview last month . . . Admiral William McRaven, who oversaw the raid, said: 'At the end of the day, make no mistake about it, it was the president of the United States that shouldered the burden for this operation, that made the hard decisions, that was instrumental in the planning process, because I pitched every plan to him.'

Read more: Former SEALs and CIA operatives to slam Obama over leaks and bin Laden bragging | Mail Online

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:

What?
Viet Nam taught every 3rd world country, Communist or not, that if they persisted and endured, they could kick our ass.
Korea showed us the inerent dangers, but Nam was the death of the domino theory. We learned a very hard lesson that what worked in Europe didn't work in S.E. Asia. The Domino Theory is a perfect example of conservative lumpage. A good policy in one area is never a good policy everywhere. That would seem to be a simple lesson, but here we are, 50 years later, with over 50,000 lives wasted, and people still clinging to John Foster Dulles' ancient myth.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Most people in the military don't like Obama or democrats. The military leans to the right. And yes it was shameful of him to take credit for political purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies