Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Florida -
10,213 posts, read 14,871,401 times
Reputation: 21848

Advertisements

Gallup polls report that congressional approval ratings have never been lower in its 38-years of reporting results. Congress Approval Ties All-Time Low at 10%

As anyone who is paying attention comes to realize, our politicians have found the election loophole in our political system of electing representatives. Each politician quickly realizes that their own political fortunes are tied only to the satisfaction level of their own immediate constituents. It really doesn't matter whether their actions evidence any real interest in leading the country or solving its problems ... or even that their own national disapproval level might be as high as 90%!!

All a politician must do is trade enough votes for other politician's 'pork projects' .... to be able to garner enough votes for their own 'pork projects' to convince their narrow range of constituents to re-elect them." (Of course, this "pork" is always paid for by people who are NOT their constituents and who have no voice in voting them in or out of office!)

The only solution I can see is 'term limits' that move the focus from 'buying pork-related votes' ... to actually leading our country out of the mess we are in. Of course, the inherent problem there is that the very people who benefit from the current system, ... would need to vote against their own self-interests. So, let the approval ratings drop to even 5% --- It doesn't really matter, as long as they can continue to bring home the bacon to the folks in Podunk, Anywhere!

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,264,662 times
Reputation: 7875
It is because Congress elections are won in primaries, not the general elections. The only way to really correct this problem would to have Congressional Districts created in non partisan ways where districts are shaped off population only and not by how people in those districts vote. This would hurt both sides when it comes to lifers in Congress, but it would allow the American people to have a tighter leash on our Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
 
8,900 posts, read 5,395,805 times
Reputation: 5707
It reminds me of a World of Warcraft YouTube someone made, where his character roamed about yelling everyone in this group sucks, EXCEPT ME!

I think most of us say every Representative/Senator there sucks, except mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
 
45,296 posts, read 26,553,744 times
Reputation: 25050
b-b-but they have a mandate!


Power corrupts, time to take it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: The D-M-V area
13,691 posts, read 18,484,651 times
Reputation: 9596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Gallup polls report that congressional approval ratings have never been lower in its 38-years of reporting results. Congress Approval Ties All-Time Low at 10%

As anyone who is paying attention comes to realize, our politicians have found the election loophole in our political system of electing representatives. Each politician quickly realizes that their own political fortunes are tied only to the satisfaction level of their own immediate constituents. It really doesn't matter whether their actions evidence any real interest in leading the country or solving its problems ... or even that their own national disapproval level might be as high as 90%!!

All a politician must do is trade enough votes for other politician's 'pork projects' .... to be able to garner enough votes for their own 'pork projects' to convince their narrow range of constituents to re-elect them." (Of course, this "pork" is always paid for by people who are NOT their constituents and who have no voice in voting them in or out of office!)

The only solution I can see is 'term limits' that move the focus from 'buying pork-related votes' ... to actually leading our country out of the mess we are in. Of course, the inherent problem there is that the very people who benefit from the current system, ... would need to vote against their own self-interests. So, let the approval ratings drop to even 5% --- It doesn't really matter, as long as they can continue to bring home the bacon to the folks in Podunk, Anywhere!

Your thoughts?
The dummies keep voting incumbent.

The crap continues.

Nothing changes.

People complain.

Polls reveal high disapproval rate.

Another election rolls around.

The dummies again, vote for the incumbent.

The crap continues.

Nothing changes.

Lather, rinse, repeat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Reputation: 27720
And yet..the same cronies get reelected and go back to DC each and every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
 
78,721 posts, read 60,905,430 times
Reputation: 50030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I think most of us say every Representative/Senator there sucks, except mine.
Pretty much, you nailed it.

Partisan loyalty keeping scumbags in office.

I could give people the worst candidate imaginable but they'd still vote for them if it meant keeping one of the EVIL R's or D's from getting the seat.

Redistricting to keep an area solidly R or D is another trick that is used. It's a way of keeping the people from effectively voting because the party itself can decide whom to back in the primary and then that candidate will win the seat because of the party loyalty of the constituency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
 
13,900 posts, read 9,795,185 times
Reputation: 6856
The GOP campaigned on creating jobs. They got to congress and talked about Chic-fil-a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,391 posts, read 5,178,065 times
Reputation: 2283
It's Bush's fault!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,802 posts, read 8,915,566 times
Reputation: 4512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The GOP campaigned on creating jobs. They got to congress and talked about Chic-fil-a.
The GOP didn't campaign on creating jobs, it campaigned on creating an environment for job creation which includes blocking nearly everything Obama has proposed. Democrats are the ones who campaign on creating jobs with government money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top