Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

America definitely has a common culture, but also has many subcultures within it. This is true of any country. If you want to understand what American culture is, all you have to do is visit another country and it will become clear as day. You will still notice that both in America and other countries, there are still subcultures, and of course individuals will have their own personalities, but you will notice that somewhat like a uniform, we do carry with us a set of customs and cultural cornerstones that define us as American. It's very hard to put into words but it is something you will be able to just feel in the room if you stand in a room with a bunch of Americans vs. a bunch of people from another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where in my post did I indicate fear or loathing ?
I don't fear change. I do mourn the loss though. America is changing and I am adapting.

I CHOOSE to go teach where I teach which is in inner city schools.
I figure the 30-40% that might make it in society should be able to do math.

The holidays were just one example. I didn't even mention Memorial Day because that is pretty much just considered a day off now.
Who cares what you think? This is the thing your perception of American culture isn't American culture. Your perception of how other people feel about American culture is meaningless as well.

The bottom line is that when most people use the word culture, it has a very vague hard to define meaning and when asked specific questions they resort to word vomit rhetoric or make inconsequential points about how they perceive how others celebrate holidays as what they mean by culture.

American conservative political ideology is rooted in fear. Listen to conservatives talk about the future of America. The fear is overwhelming.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Do Americans have a common culture anymore? A common set of bedrock beliefs?

If so, what is that culture? What are those beliefs?

Is it enough to hold a nation together?
America never really had a common culture per se. The original British colonists had divergent values. I wouldn't be shocked if the country splits apart within my lifetime and I'm 35. The current trajectory is unsustainable and mirrors the path of Ancient Rome.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
America never really had a common culture per se. The original British colonists had divergent values. I wouldn't be shocked if the country splits apart within my lifetime and I'm 35. The current trajectory is unsustainable and mirrors the path of Ancient Rome.
Yeah but what brought them together was the idea that smaller government was needed, less powerful federal government, no more rule over them from England. They wanted lower taxes -- they would cringe at the kind of taxes we pay now -- they overthrew the British all over a tax rate that would be considered extremely low today.

They had a common cultural belief in limited government, states rights and that common culture and everything else is long gone now.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
A house divided cannot stand.

Our house is becoming increasingly divided, as we split along ideological, class, and ethnocentric lines.

Somehow we need to fix this so we can save our declining empire.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Lol, what does that mean to you in practical terms? You think the African slaves that we here were based in a anglo Saxon protestant heritage? What about all the Catholics? What about Japanese, and Chinese immigrants, What about native Americans?

I think if one wants to focus narrowly on one group of people, then you get this narrow view of American culture. It never existed not in the way that you imagine.
Its collective. You are trying to divide the culture by naming countries.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its collective. You are trying to divide the culture by naming countries.
I divided nothing. It is those who identify as conservative who see things in a black and white you are either with us or against us manner. I think American culture is expansive and always has been.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Who cares what you think? This is the thing your perception of American culture isn't American culture. Your perception of how other people feel about American culture is meaningless as well.

The bottom line is that when most people use the word culture, it has a very vague hard to define meaning and when asked specific questions they resort to word vomit rhetoric or make inconsequential points about how they perceive how others celebrate holidays as what they mean by culture.

American conservative political ideology is rooted in fear. Listen to conservatives talk about the future of America. The fear is overwhelming.
Why do you keep making this a party issue? It isn't about perception of what our culture is. It is what it is, period. Do you actually think that even most leftists don't know what our identifying culture is? Do you think that most leftists who also desire to retain our identity as a nation is "fear"? Losing it via illegal immigration and non-assimilating immigrants is "fear"? I would call it national pride, not fear. Do you actually think for example that Mexico would welcome becoming a non-hispanic country in the same manner? Would that be "fear" also? Is it only people like you that who appear to resent our mainstream culture that try to deny that it even exists and deep down inside want it to change even if it is thru illegal means.

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-16-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Lol, what does that mean to you in practical terms? You think the African slaves that we here were based in a anglo Saxon protestant heritage? What about all the Catholics? What about Japanese, and Chinese immigrants, What about native Americans?

I think if one wants to focus narrowly on one group of people, then you get this narrow view of American culture. It never existed not in the way that you imagine.
All of those races, nationalites blended together to form an identifying culture in our country. That has nothing to do with one's choice of religion. Actually, both Catholics and Protestants are of the Christian religion. American culture has always existed contrary to your apparent resentment or denial of it.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
I've received two positive reputation votes for my post.

Would you like a cookie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies