Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,283,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why do you keep making this a party issue? It isn't about perception of what our culture is. It is what it is, period. Do you actually think that even most leftists don't know what our identifying culture is? Do you think that most leftists who also desire to retain our identity as a nation is "fear"? Losing it via illegal immigration and non-assimilating immigrants is "fear"? I would call it national pride, not fear. Do you actually think for example that Mexico would welcome becoming a non-hispanic country in the same manner? Would that be "fear" also? Is it only people like you that who appear to resent our mainstream culture that try to deny that it even exists and deep down inside want it to change even if it is thru illegal means.
It is people who identify themselves as conservative issue. I have not identified any mainstream culture to resent and it changes because culture always changes no matter anyone's personal feelings.

See using the term national identity is getting closer to what this fear is about then using the term culture.

Although, the national identity is not something that can be easily determined in the manner in which you fear that national identity is going away. Immigrants always assimilate, but immigrants also impact and change the national identity of the nations they immigrate into.

I don't speak for leftists I don't even know what that term means to you, so I won't claim it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why the need for bilingual & Spanish verbiage everywhere?
Thats not assimilation.
Somehow Switzerland has survived being a country where where French, German, and Italian are spoken and it's been around since about 1300.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
All of those races, nationalites blended together to form an identifying culture in our country. That has nothing to do with one's choice of religion. Actually, both Catholics and Protestants are of the Christian religion. American culture has always existed contrary to your apparent resentment or denial of it.
I never wrote American culture doesn't exist. I wrote that American culture never existed as it does in the minds of conservatives who now fear they are losing this imaginary American culture.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
American culture never existed as it does in the minds of conservatives who now fear they are losing this imaginary American culture.
The historical ignorance/amnesia of conservatives and resulting mythologizing of the American ethos is simply staggering.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The historical ignorance/amnesia of conservatives and resulting mythologizing of the American ethos is simply staggering.
Yes, and it is getting worse because conservatives are beginning to have their own version of American history to counteract what they believe is the liberal biased version of history.

This is a real thing. Conservatives really believe that history writers were liberals trying to enforce a liberal view of America.

They are losing touch with reality and creating this fantasy version of America that never existed and then when confronted with the real America, they foolishly believe that things are changing for the worse and that we have to get back to their imaginary America that never existed.

This is why they are attempting to turn all the American founders into modern day republican conservatives.

Seriously for many conservatives they view the last 100 years of American history as one big pull towards liberalism and they want to go back to before. I am not kidding.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I never wrote American culture doesn't exist. I wrote that American culture never existed as it does in the minds of conservatives who now fear they are losing this imaginary American culture.
What do you have as proof other than your biased party line opinion? American culture is what it is. Conservatives don't see it in any other imaginary way than what it actually is. Your contempt for conservative Americans comes shining through with each and every one of your posts. Can't you reply to anything without bringing party affiliation into it?

Since you seem to be such an expert in what goes on in the minds of conservatives why don't you explain to us what they think about American culture that isn't actually true? Don't bring up the radical fringe either. They don't represent the majority of conservatives anymore than the radicals on the left do.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What do you have as proof other than your biased party line opinion? American culture is what it is. Conservatives don't see it in any other imaginary way than what it actually is. Your contempt for conservative Americans comes shining through with each and every one of your posts. Can't you reply to anything without bringing party affiliation into it?

Since you seem to be such an expert in what goes on in the minds of conservatives why don't you explain to us what they think about American culture that isn't actually true? Don't bring up the radical fringe either. They don't represent the majority of conservatives anymore than the radicals on the left do.

I am not attempting to define American culture because I have no definition. I have never once implied that I did. I maintain that American culture is extremely diverse and always has been.

I agree, It is not about party affiliation, this is an issue for conservatives.

I know based on what conservatives say, they are afraid that the American culture is being destroyed. When asked for specifics about American culture, they don't discuss culture, they discuss groups of people they don't like who they believe are destroying this American culture that they can't seem to define.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,593,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The same can be said of tax evaders, shop lifter, embezzlers. They don't mind breaking the laws of this country but might be fine people otherwise -- like someone who shoplifts so their children can have expensive and nice shoes.

How long someone breaks the laws shouldn't be a factor in how they are viewed. If someone has been shoplifting for 10 years, they aren't better than the one who just started 3 months ago.
I don't believe those are valid comparisons. Illegal immigration is much more complicated.

A better analogy would be speeding. Twice, now, I've had CHP officers tell me that I can drive 10mph over the limit and they will look the other way. So, I break the law every day and drive 10mph over the limit, just like everyone else around here, because the government deliberately, purposefully, looks the other way. It's the same with illegal immigration. Since the Reagan years the government has been looking the other way on illegal immigration for economic reasons. We have statutory law saying one thing, and the "law" the government actually enforces, which sends an entirely different message.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,343,684 times

It's amusing to see posters here try to differentiate between American liberals and American conservatives
when someone like me on the outside of your political spectrum, sees both of you as two peas in a pod.

It's interesting how the American people are manipulated to choose between Big Brother and his controlled
opposition... and the most interesting of all... Americans actually think there is a choice.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,700,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Today the common American culture is illiteracy, degeneracy, and perversion - calling good evil and evil good -
and in their sick distortion thinking they are the greatest thing to grace the planet since Sodom.

All in the name of libirialism and diversity....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies