Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

It's all caving in on the Democrats, a little more each day.

Answering questions, telling the truth, is the one thing they dare not do. All they can do, is try desperately to keep the questions from being asked.

-----------------------------------------------

House Dems: It’s totally unfair to have a debate question on the deficit commission Obama created and then ignored « Hot Air

House Dems: It’s totally unfair to have a debate question on the deficit commission Obama created and then ignored

posted at 10:01 am on August 15, 2012
by Ed Morrissey

Some Democratic lawmakers want to make sure that one question does not get asked at the upcoming first presidential debate – about Simpson-Bowles.

Three Democratic House members objected Tuesday to a request by four senators that President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney be asked which of the commission’s proposals to address the debt they support. The Democrats said such a question would force “candidates to choose solutions from one menu of options.” …

But that caused Reps. Mike Honda (D-Calif.), Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) and Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) to cry foul, writing in their own letter to the debate commission on Tuesday that although the Simpson-Bowles commission’s plan “may contain proposals helpful to our recovery…to hold it out as the only pathway to fiscal responsibility and economic success is foolish and wrong.”

“We urge the [Debate] Commission to fight any effort to unnecessarily narrow such an important debate by placing disproportionate attention on one set of proposals over another,” they wrote, adding that such a question would “cheapen the debate” and “thwart the candidates’ ability to explain alternative proposals.”

----------------------------------------

On the face of it, this is a ridiculous assertion. Asking one question about the Simpson-Bowles plan doesn’t restrict a range of answers on budget reforms and deficits.

(snip)

But of course, this isn’t about the range of options in the debate. Democrats don’t want Barack Obama to have to answer for his total rejection of the commission he called into existence in the first place.

(snip)

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I'm a Democrat. I support simpson/bowles. I think Democrats should embrace the plan. It's a good contrast to the GOP/Ryan budget plan.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Democrat. I support simpson/bowles. I think Democrats should embrace the plan.
Good.

When do they (the current Democrat leadership) plan to start?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default Obama over his head and drowning, too late to learn to swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Democrat. I support simpson/bowles. I think Democrats should embrace the plan. It's a good contrast to the GOP/Ryan budget plan.
Harry Reid/Nancy Pelosi could have done just that. Instead they were too busy passing government regulated healthcare.

The ship on the economy and recovery solitions have sailed and team Obama is sinking fast.

Buh bye.......

Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

The interviewers questions say it all. We all need to know which super power Obama would love to have. Why didn't he say the ability to do math? That would really be cool!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Good.

When do they (the current Democrat leadership) plan to start?

I must admit I'm as perterbed at S-B not passing. It was just as much the republicans fault. They were only 3 votes away, 3 r's or 3d's, or any combination.

Proof both sides are playing the same games. But, this is completely off the reservation:

Three Democratic House members objected Tuesday to a request by four senators that President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney be asked which of the commission’s proposals to address the debt they support. The Democrats said such a question would force “candidates to choose solutions from one menu of options.” …

The Democrats don't even want questions regarding the debt to be debated.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Oh I'd say its massively fair to ask why it wasn't followed. Good to ask Republicans the same question, why don't yih back Simpson bowles instead of writing a plan with no chance of passing like the president did with his.

Simpson-Bowles is a perfect example of how Washington is broken.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Back in the real world, the Simpson-Bowles committee - which republicans began opposing immediately after Obama agreed to it, despite many of them having co-sponsored it beforehand - could not come to an agreement, and so could not make any recommendation, although they did release a draft that they ultimately rejected. Instead, congress agreed to an across the board 10% cut to all discretionary spending, unless their own comittee could come to an agreement, which they could not.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM

One caveat is that Bowles was also a board member of Morgan Stanley, and definately had a conflict of interest. BTW, Bowles is the D.

Response to Common Criticisms of the Simpson-Bowles Plan | Moment of Truth

Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Simpson Bowles was the raw financial truth. Both sides ran from it. Each blamed the other. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies