Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I can't count the number of times I've heard this statement from gay people. If the GOP/conservatives fully embraced gay marriage, adoption, the whole 9 yards, and threw out the religious right influence, how many gay people would be in the conservative/GOP camp? Call me crazy, but methinks the GOP could win the gay vote if they adopted a socially liberal/fiscally conservative platform.
Republicans are going to have a hard time winning elections until they support gay marriage or at least take a neutral stance on it. Young people are voting by and large for Obama and for many of them its based on this one issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
Republicans need to lighten up on the morality issues.

My voting record is this.

1980 Raygun

1984 Raygun

1998 Bush

1992 Clinton

1996 Clinton

2000 Gore

2004 held my nose and voted Kerry

2008 Obama

2012 will be Obama

2016 would like to vote for Jeb Bush

Gosh I feel old now
So what your saying is abandon core beliefs or moral beleives all for the sake of some votes? That is what has lead to the conflict within the democratic party of the many specail interest groups since FDR assembled them.Its lead to Unions and Trot lawyers running the party. Why would they bother much with those depdnent on the parties handouts of crumbs.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 PM

503 posts, read 936,906 times
Republicans need to be conservative and stand for what this country has always stood for...thats how they will win, not through hypocrisy and compromise on beliefs!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock.teller View Post
The fact that you think I'm similar to Rachel Maddow demonstrates a great deal about you. Typically Republicans have a great deal of trouble with variations, especially skin color variations.
Doesn't the race card ever get worn out? Playing racial self pity gets so old and tiring!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Republicans have always had a hard time winning elections, which is why they can only win by cheating. The majority of people in the USA agree that Republicans are lame and bad for the nation. People do not want to live in the Mad Max world the treasonous Republicans wish to create.
You are so laughable sir! Obama is the treasonous disaster for this country, not republicans

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Republicans need to be conservative and stand for what this country has always stood for...thats how they will win, not through hypocrisy and compromise on beliefs!!!
And now Glenn Beck is here.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It is really telling that most Republicans think the biggest problem with the USA right now is that we are not hating homosexuals, women, blacks, and Mexicans enough.
What kind of Republicans do you know, because that is not the position of any that I know! I'm guessing because we want the flow of ILLEGAL Mexicans to stop, and because we teach our kids the immorality of homosexuality, we hate...and nobody is "holding the black man down" sir, but themselves!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,093,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please list these attempts that the Court refuses to hear.. Something a little more recent than 1972
A Minnesota case in which two gay men were refused a marriage license (despite the law not saying marriage had to be between two people of different sexes) was appealed to the Supreme Court in 1972, and the court refused to hear it. That case was Baker v. Nelson.

There have been many similar cases since, but for decades many haven't gone anywhere - lower appeals courts have often looked at the Supreme Court's refusal to hear Baker v Nelson as guidance and refused to even hear them at the lower levels. Here are some gay marriage cases from the past 40 years (there are plenty more, and I'm not even touching on the DOMA cases):

Jones v. Hallahan (1973)
Singer v. Hara
(1974)
Thorton v. Timmers
(1975)

Adams v. Howerton (1982) - In this case, a Boulder Colorado clerk actually married two gay men - one a foreigner. When he tried to get a spousal immigration visa, the INS sent them a later stating "You have failed to establish that a bona fide marital relationship can exist between two fa**ots." I know that this case was appealed to the Supreme Court, but again they refused to hear it. (The Gay husband was deported back to Australia in 1985)

De Santo v. Barnsley (1984)
Matter of Estate of Cooper (NY - 1990)
Dean v. District of Columbia (1995)

Then we have the cases that started the "modern" gay marriage fight:

Baehr v. Lewin (filed in 1993, decided originally in 1996, appeal finally dismissed in 1999) - This was the case where the Hawaii Supreme Court said Hawaii marriage law discriminated and that gay couples could in fact get married. It was dismissed (as moot) after Hawaii amended its constitution to ban gay marriages. It was this case that led to DOMA being passed nationally and to the run of states banning gay marriage.

Baker v. State (1999) - Vermont case saying gay couples had to have the same rights - led to civil unions in Vermont.

Goodridge v. Dept. of Public Health (2003) - Massachusetts case casing saying gay couples had to have the same rights - led to civil unions in Massachusetts.

Kerrigan v. Commissioner of Public Health (2008) - Vermont case saying civil unions were unconstitutional and that gays are entitled to equal access to marriage law in Vermont.

In re Marriage Cases (2008) - California case declaring gay marriage ban unconstitutional - led to the Prop 8 battle and banning gay marriage in the California State Constitution.

Perry v. Schwarzenegger (2010) - Prop 8's banning of gay marriage in a state constitution ruled federally unconstitutional. Currently being appealed to the US Supreme Court.

Last edited by hammertime33; 08-15-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid you are wrong, President Obama seems to care at least a little bit about the USA, while Republican leaders like Rush Limbaugh seek only to bring destruction to the USA, as such all Republicans need to be viewed as terrorists and placed on terror watch lists.
Obviously sir, you have no idea what you are talking about...I'm wasting my time!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,093,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
p.s. any federal court could rule bans on gay marriage to be unconstitutional, just like DOMA.
That's already happened, and its appeal request has been submitted to, and is currently being considered by, the Supreme Court - although the 9th Circuit limited the more encompassing ruling of the District Court, and it's unclear how broad of an interpretation the Supreme Court will undertake if it hears the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies