Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
It is Anti- Godly...if that's your point. Compassion and caring for others is Godly. Rand taught the worldly way. Tremendous difference !!!
I think, generally, your heart is in the right place, but I wonder whether you are not focused too much on Rand and not enough on Ryan.

Why do you believe that Ryan subscribes to all of Rand's philosophy? He said himself that he doesn't. He says that his philosophy would more appropriately be associated with Aquinas, which is consistent with his Catholic beliefs. Did you miss that?

I did some reading on Rand and find that one can either take it all in at face value, or read thoughtfully, take the best of the negatives and turn them into positives that line up with one's values. Supreme court Justice Clarence Thomas has done that, Ron Paul has done that, Gov. Sanford of SC and many others. Gov Sanford takes this away from his studies of Rand: “I think at a fundamental level many people recognize Rand's essential truth—government doesn't know best,” Sanford wrote.

It concerned me when you first brought this to the forum, and I did quite a bit of checking. The result is that I don't have a problem with it. I believe these very thoughtful, intelligent people glean the best from what they read and take what appeals to them and lines up with their values.
Ayn Rand is not light reading. Anyone who thinks so will be easily confused.

The crisis this country faces is that current Government (i.e. Obama administration) thinks government knows best and should take care of the individual. That would be Democrat thinking. That's why we had Obamacare thurst upon us against our will, behind closed doors, before we were told the truth of what's in it or how much it would cost. The end goal is to bring as many people as possible under the umbrella of government medical care where government controls the care and the individual (that includes "elimination" of Medicare, for all practical purposes because Obamacare becomes "medicare for all").

Republicans/conservatives and even independents don't trust the government to know what is best because government has demonstrated a high level of ineptness in all it touches. Individuals deserve to be restored to a position of dignity where they are helped to help themselves (Rand's philosophy).

The latter does not preclude support of charity or a hand to those who need it and is in line with Godliness. Compassion and caring for others is Godly, if done in a healthy fashion. It can be very dysfunctional and self-gratifying while stripping others of their God-given gifts, dignity, and potential, and that is not "Godly". Tremendous difference.

Last edited by swbtoo; 08-18-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
It is amazing to see how the MSM is giving Obama/Democrats a free pass on the 710 billion dollar cut from Social Security to fund Obama-care.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It is amazing to see how the MSM is giving Obama/Democrats a free pass on the 710 billion dollar cut from Social Security to fund Obama-care.
Because it's not a cut, it's "less spending"

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
Yeaaaaaa...it's DEMOCRATS who people distrust on Medicare and not Paul Ryan. How stupid can people get? All the paid GOP operatives, mults, sock puppets and trolls are really out in force trying to spin a false consensus all over the internet. I'd like to meet all the right wingers on the C-D forum one day, it's actually only 4 guys with 300 accounts

Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Trustees Report Summary
Quote:
The projected date of HI Trust Fund exhaustion is 2024, the same date projected in last year's report, at which time dedicated revenues would be sufficient to pay 87 percent of HI costs. The Trustees project that the share of HI expenditures that can be financed with HI dedicated revenues will decline slowly to 67 percent in 2045, and then rise slowly until it reaches 69 percent in 2086.
There will be cuts to Medicare.
It might be Obama/Biden, it might be Romney/Ryan, it might be the clock ticking down.
It might start in a couple of years, it might start in 12 years.
There will be cuts to Medicare ... period

Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Trustees Report Summary

There will be cuts to Medicare.
It might be Obama/Biden, it might be Romney/Ryan, it might be the clock ticking down.
It might start in a couple of years, it might start in 12 years.
There will be cuts to Medicare ... period
There's no "might". $500 billion over 10 years and that's been signed into law.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,669,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think, generally, your heart is in the right place, but I wonder whether you are not focused too much on Rand and not enough on Ryan.

Why do you believe that Ryan subscribes to all of Rand's philosophy? He said himself that he doesn't. He says that his philosophy would more appropriately be associated with Aquinas, which is consistent with his Catholic beliefs. Did you miss that?

I did some reading on Rand and find that one can either take it all in at face value, or read thoughtfully, take the best of the negatives and turn them into positives that line up with one's values. Supreme court Justice Clarence Thomas has done that, Ron Paul has done that, Gov. Sanford of SC and many others. Gov Sanford takes this away from his studies of Rand: “I think at a fundamental level many people recognize Rand's essential truth—government doesn't know best,” Sanford wrote.

It concerned me when you first brought this to the forum, and I did quite a bit of checking. The result is that I don't have a problem with it. I believe these very thoughtful, intelligent people glean the best from what they read and take what appeals to them and lines up with their values.
Ayn Rand is not light reading. Anyone who thinks so will be easily confused.

The crisis this country faces is that current Government (i.e. Obama administration) thinks government knows best and should take care of the individual. That would be Democrat thinking. That's why we had Obamacare thurst upon us against our will, behind closed doors, before we were told the truth of what's in it or how much it would cost. The end goal is to bring as many people as possible under the umbrella of government medical care where government controls the care and the individual (that includes "elimination" of Medicare, for all practical purposes because Obamacare becomes "medicare for all").

Republicans/conservatives and even independents don't trust the government to know what is best because government has demonstrated a high level of ineptness in all it touches. Individuals deserve to be restored to a position of dignity where they are helped to help themselves (Rand's philosophy).

The latter does not preclude support of charity or a hand to those who need it and is in line with Godliness. Compassion and caring for others is Godly, if done in a healthy fashion. It can be very dysfunctional and self-gratifying while stripping others of their God-given gifts, dignity, and potential, and that is not "Godly". Tremendous difference.
Completely DISAGREE

Ayn Rand's teaching have an underlying Un-Godly cold, brutal agenda behind them. And anyone who doesn't realize that a guy who spent years of his life studying those concepts...and has not been deeply influenced by their wicked roots, must be deceived to a significant degree. I'm not naive. God's Wisdom (and Word) warn's not to seek the un-Godly's council. Since Ryan is catholic, there's no evidence to indicate he is a Christian. Surely you don't believe all those vile, corrupt, child molesting catholic preists..are Christians? But, I've seen (perceived) evidence in Ryan's action's and his agressive demeanor, He's not to be Trusted.

You, sb, sound as tho you don't agree that some people should be assisted by government progams?! I can't make a clear judgment what you believe about that. But, I actually trust BO more than Romney/Ryan.....regarding the healthy aspects of aid (HELP) for those Americans who very likely would not survive without them.

And this is a Fact. The Republicans record on this issue, is far less merciful, than is the Democrats.

Last edited by MMM05; 08-18-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,826 times

The Path to Prosperity (Episode 2): Saving Medicare, Visualized - YouTube
Sounds sensible to me.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Completely DISAGREE

Ayn Rand's teaching have an underlying Un-Godly cold, brutal agenda behind them. And anyone who doesn't realize that a guy who spent years of his life studying those concepts...and has not been deeply influenced by their wicked roots, must be deceived to a significant degree. I'm not naive. God's Wisdom (and Word) warn's not to seek the un-Godly's council. Since Ryan is catholic, there's no evidence to indicate he is a Christian. Surely you don't believe all those vile, corrupt, child molesting catholic preists..are Christians? But, I've seen (perceived) evidence in Ryan's action's and his agressive demeanor, He's not to be Trusted.

You, sb, sound as tho you don't agree that some people should be assisted by government progams?! I can't make a clear judgment what you believe about that. But, I actually trust BO more than Romney/Ryan.....regarding the healthy aspects of aid (HELP) for those Americans who very likely would not survive without them.

And this is a Fact. The Republicans record on this issue, is far less merciful, than is the Democrats.
I read Atlas Shrugged and what I got out of it was that there is only so much to be taken from individuals from the collectivists before the individuals "shrug" and leave the system for greener pastures out of their reach. These collectivists are then left helpless because they have become so used to bleeding the system dry off of others hard work.

The massive offshoring of work is a perfect example of that happening. Labor costs and regulations are driving them away.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And now the GOP(Rove) would have us believe the Repubs are the Savior/Protectors of Medicare and Soc Sec? ..... bh... bw...BWHAAAAAAA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, BURP, TOOT, HA, HA .... SLAP, SLAP, WHEW...!
Better hold tight to your precious stereotypes, cuz they are all you guys have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies