Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If you haven't seen that movie make sure you do. I never miss a chance to see it on TV and if I can't find it on, some days, I just get out our copy of it. I have never watched it without clouding up in the eyes. "Big Mike" was his name among his friends and teammates. The actor who played that part was outstanding and I want to see him again, sometime.

Roy, I'll have to check it out. Even though I am a Browns fan, and the Ravens are a division foe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Looks like he needs to be red shirted a year to work on his upper body strength. If he's only in 7th grade he'll be starting varsity as a freshman if he wants to play. You can't teach big and this kid has it. Just like you can't teach speed. You got it or you don't.
I dont think so, He would do fine on a Freshman team especially if they get him into a large urban school with a big football program. Those types of programs attract kids like him regionally.

I was 6' 250 in the 9th grade and played on a freshman team.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let him practice and promise to let him play when he gets down to a normal weight for his age and height. It would give him a healthy goal and maybe get him support from his peers. If organized sports is suppose to teach kids about team work then let them learn how team work and empathy can be applied to life outside the field as well as on it. Help the kid, don't shun him.
This. Such a great idea to get him support from his peers. That's what teamwork is all about.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The kid doesn't appear to be grossly overweight he looks more like the next potential Michael Oher
What has American come to? Newsflash, despite being one of the slimmest linemen in the NFL (315 pounds at 6'4''), Michael Oher is still unhealthily obese. Like most NFL linemen, he'll be lucky to see 50 (the average lifespan of an NFL lineman is right about 50 years old).

Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
This is ridiculous.

The kid is 12 years old and 300 pounds! He is FAT! There's just no way to sugar-coat it and I literally LOL when people here try to justify it by saying that he's just "built big" and that he's really "not too fat or obese". Come on people, are you kidding me? The kid is definitely obese and close to morbidly obese. And the mother is just plain disgusting and stupid in my opinion. Instead of protesting that her son can't play Pee-Wee football, she should be spending her time and efforts in putting that kid on an intense diet and getting his weight down...a lot. Now, obviously, I understand that exercise is a very key component of losing weight, but the kid looks like he could have a heart-attack running down the field. He needs to go see a doctor and get on a monitored and set exercise and diet plan that is supervised by a trainer or something.

I'm 20 years old, 6'0 - 6'1 and weigh between 170-175. My body type is very athletic (I work out daily) and I have a good amount of muscle. If I can do it, he can do it. I just can't understand how he got to be that big or, even better yet, that people think that it's okay or safe for him. It's a huge detriment to his health, and I actually feel really sorry for him in that regard.

Okay, rant over.....
That kid will never be 175. And he shouldn't be. What he should do is try to make sure his bodyfat level doesn't skyrocket as he grows and matures.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I dont think so, He would do fine on a Freshman team especially if they get him into a large urban school with a big football program. Those types of programs attract kids like him regionally.

I was 6' 250 in the 9th grade and played on a freshman team.
The kid doesn't look fat by any means so he most likely has some agility. You get him coached up since he's only in seventh grade he'll be hard to handle. Texas is cuckoo about football. I can't believe he's slipped past em this long.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Roy, I'll have to check it out. Even though I am a Browns fan, and the Ravens are a division foe.
Hali will eat Oher for breakfast this year.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The kid doesn't look fat by any means so he most likely has some agility. You get him coached up since he's only in seventh grade he'll be hard to handle. Texas is cuckoo about football. I can't believe he's slipped past em this long.

After all this exposure that won't be a problem.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
After all this exposure that won't be a problem.
Yep his mom may be one smart cookie!!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Report -- Texas Pee Wee football league bars 300-pound player - ESPN Dallas

I mean let the kid at least practice. At 300 lbs he needs the workout.

i think this kid like mc nuggets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies