Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Welfare Recipients be Allowed to Vote?
YES 146 76.84%
NO 44 23.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
I think welfare recipients should be allowed to vote once but those of us who subsidize their lives should be allowed to vote twice.

When you get right down to it if it were not for those us that get out of bed every morning, go to work and pay taxes, those on welfare would not be receiving welfare at all.
Stupid idea.

You really have no idea who is on welfare do ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Stupid idea.

You really have no idea who is on welfare do ya.
I'm sure he will tell you about that old chestnut regarding the family down the street who live in a middle class house, with luxury cars, and send their kids to private school all on welfare .

Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM

288 posts, read 283,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
If you are on the dole, logic states that you will always vote to maintain the same or for the politician who promises more of the free stuff, effectively making this a never-ending vicious cycle - I vote for more free stuff, I get more free stuff, I vote for even more free stuff..and so on.

It's only fair that only people who are not on the dole get to decide the future of welfare. If they still feel inclined to continue or increase the welfare, that's fair - at least they get a fair say. In the current scenario, the people whose pockets are picked to fund the rest of the deadbeat nation gets outnumbered more and more, every passing election cycle.

The idea is too controversial to pass a legislature more concerned with political correctness than the nation's fiscal well-being, but the idea is not too controversial to discuss.

I vote that I be made to sit out elections as long as I am not back on my feet.
If you are American and 18 and over you should be allowed to vote period!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
The big question is, just what is welfare and who would you consider benefiting from it?
Certainly all the farmers should not vote
Probably the military and those companies that make their toys.
Those that have a home mortgage
Don't forget the college students and their subsidized loans
All of us on Medicare and Medicaid
The list goes on and on.............

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
1.Person on welfare not allowed to vote.

2.Crazy ultra right wing government elected by extremists cuts them off.

3.People who used to be on welfare vote them out out of spite if not self interest

4.Back to where we are now.

Or does the OP want to deprive them of voting rights for life????

Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Should Welfare Recipients be Allowed to Vote?

Hell no

Old 09-02-2012, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 8,257 times
everyone has a right to vote... just show your ID and put your mark down in the box to the right...lol

but seriously, yes everyone has a right to vote...
just make sure you vote for those who are for the people of the USA
to help those who gave their lives and those who fight for our freedoms
rich or poor we all are in the same ship... i just pray that the ship of america
never sinks.....

it was not just one man that caused all the proplems, it was many...
and it will take many of us to change it, so those can go on without the pains and worries
of what tomorrow might bring....

just my .02 cents

Old 09-02-2012, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 55,593 times
I accidentally clicked no.

Stupid question anyway. This is a democracy. Why would you seek to remove those rights from people just because you don't like them, being a heartless neocon bastard?

Let's remove your right to vote instead.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trewq View Post
I accidentally clicked no.

Stupid question anyway. This is a democracy. Why would you seek to remove those rights from people just because you don't like them, being a heartless neocon bastard?

Let's remove your right to vote instead.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:07 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
If you are on the dole, logic states that you will always vote to maintain the same or for the politician who promises more of the free stuff, effectively making this a never-ending vicious cycle - I vote for more free stuff, I get more free stuff, I vote for even more free stuff..and so on.

It's only fair that only people who are not on the dole get to decide the future of welfare. If they still feel inclined to continue or increase the welfare, that's fair - at least they get a fair say. In the current scenario, the people whose pockets are picked to fund the rest of the deadbeat nation gets outnumbered more and more, every passing election cycle.

The idea is too controversial to pass a legislature more concerned with political correctness than the nation's fiscal well-being, but the idea is not too controversial to discuss.

I vote that I be made to sit out elections as long as I am not back on my feet.
Personally, I feel that voting is a joke. It's just a dog and pony show set up for the masses to give them the belief that they really do matter in this country.

However, I do take issue with your topic. This is what I think is called a slippery slope. I’ll play along with you here. Ok, so all people on welfare have their voting privileges suspended whilst they’re on the dole. Right there we’ve just made it illegal for almost half the nation to vote, check food stamp roles… In this nation, people always demand that more be done! Then we move onto anybody that receives some sort of government check. Disaster relief, social security, government pensions… If that sounds ridiculous to you, I’d suggest that you look back on the history of our legislators. They’re notorious for passing stupid over grasping draconian laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies