Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is about Ron Paul, but not about his pros and cons or even his attributes as there are enough threads on this already. As a Ronbot or Paulite, or whatever the latest soundbyte is today, I am one of those so I am biased, cased closed.

However this is about what Ron Paul means to the Republican party and contemporary conservatism. Being I scan the news from around the US each morning with my first cup of coffee with the simple search terms... Ron Paul > News, enter...

What I have noticed since yesterday is to be blunt, fear. Tangible and unadulterated fear so thick you can slice it with a knife. Now that Ron Paul's campaign is starting to bring in real bucks, and is in fact doubled since its last report, the mainstream media is starting to have to face the fact that he is a candidate to be reckoned with.

The fact that he will in the worse case scenario end up being at least a spoiler, many people are taking notice. The Republican party is in complete shambles right now in my personal opinion (thanks Karl) and is looking for its identity and apparently it may be a bit different than what it is today. Contemporary conservatism is on the wane and it seems there is a streak of Goldwater running through the nation. Will traditional conservatism in the likeness of of the Taft Republican once again return? As the Republican party seeks its Reagan figure to ride in on a horse and save the day, the truth is what is in the field is a hollow shell of of only a few years ago. Social conservatives are seeking something different that what is offered, Fiscal conservatives are on the fence, and the war party has moved on towards the left. Sorry guys, their all yours now.

If nothing else, I am reminded by that line in the movie Apocalypse Now where Robert Duval says he loves the smell of napalm in the morning, as it smell like victory. Well I love the smell of fear that is in the air as the current twisted brand of conservatism writhes in agony as it twist on the vine of the soon to be vanquished chapter in American history.

I expect the pop shots of goon, loon, moonbat, etc... and feel free, my skin is thick and I have been called worse by better, but know this, I thank you.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:27 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
I've been interested in Ron's candidacy for a while now, and I think he's about to surge. Which is actually pretty good timing. He's picking up steam as the herd is about to thin out a bit. He has reasonable positions and doesn't seem to be a party lackey blindly following the Bush administration's policies. Honestly, I'm beginning to think in the end he might be the only republican capable of beating Hillary Clinton.

On Fox News I've seen several commentators constantly criticize Ron, and it's for no other reason than he has a mind of his own. On the Factor for example, Bill O'Reilly is clearly a conservative, and he dogs Ron out as much as he dogs out Hillary. And I think to a point it has backfired a bit. The more some of these guys badmouth Ron Paul, the more people seem to take the time to actually listen to what he has to say.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,470,125 times
I have also considered Ron Paul but I am waiting to see more of him. I have not made up my mind about anyone yet.

Ron Paul is hotly against abortion and that makes him a serious candidate to be considered! That issue alone is worthy of supporting him. If he really starts gaining we will smell the fear in the pro-abortion crowd.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Ok, this is about Ron Paul, but not about his pros and cons or even his attributes as there are enough threads on this already. As a Ronbot or Paulite, or whatever the latest soundbyte is today, I am one of those so I am biased, cased closed.

However this is about what Ron Paul means to the Republican party and contemporary conservatism. Being I scan the news from around the US each morning with my first cup of coffee with the simple search terms... Ron Paul > News, enter...

What I have noticed since yesterday is to be blunt, fear. Tangible and unadulterated fear so thick you can slice it with a knife. Now that Ron Paul's campaign is starting to bring in real bucks, and is in fact doubled since its last report, the mainstream media is starting to have to face the fact that he is a candidate to be reckoned with.

The fact that he will in the worse case scenario end up being at least a spoiler, many people are taking notice. The Republican party is in complete shambles right now in my personal opinion (thanks Karl) and is looking for its identity and apparently it may be a bit different than what it is today. Contemporary conservatism is on the wane and it seems there is a streak of Goldwater running through the nation. Will traditional conservatism in the likeness of of the Taft Republican once again return? As the Republican party seeks its Reagan figure to ride in on a horse and save the day, the truth is what is in the field is a hollow shell of of only a few years ago. Social conservatives are seeking something different that what is offered, Fiscal conservatives are on the fence, and the war party has moved on towards the left. Sorry guys, their all yours now.

If nothing else, I am reminded by that line in the movie Apocalypse Now where Robert Duval says he loves the smell of napalm in the morning, as it smell like victory. Well I love the smell of fear that is in the air as the current twisted brand of conservatism writhes in agony as it twist on the vine of the soon to be vanquished chapter in American history.

I expect the pop shots of goon, loon, moonbat, etc... and feel free, my skin is thick and I have been called worse by better, but know this, I thank you.
Psycho moonbat spammer. Everyone already knows that I have personally text messaged almost 900,000 votes in various polls throughout the country. Don't jump up in here and think you can just steal my thunder.

Weak humor aside, I pray for a revelation of sorts in favor of the Ron Paul Revolution. It is indeed time to "re-become" that shining city on the hill.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I think the “real” conservatives should run Ron Paul. The Christians should run some bible thumping anti abortion woman hating clown and the corporate war masters run Giuliani. I would like them to be running against Obama. Now that would be fun.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
If the numbers start getting too favorable for Ron Paul, I would not want to be his life insurance carrier.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the “real” conservatives should run Ron Paul. The Christians should run some bible thumping anti abortion woman hating clown and the corporate war masters run Giuliani. I would like them to be running against Obama. Now that would be fun.
I'm a Christian and I have been on board for voting Ron Paul for several months now. I also consider myself a true conservative. I'm anti-abortion but really could 100% care less what any candidate says supporting or opposing it.

But I do thump my Bible and go around cursing women for existing all the time. As a matter of fact, I just pounded on my Bible for fun, then hit an old lady with it.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,423 times
I'd be okay with Ron Paul as president as long as we had a Democratic congress that didn't let him get his hands on much besides our millitary and foreign policy. If Ron Paul was elected president back in '96 after the "Republican revolution" we'd be roaring like the 20's right now, just waiting for that elusive Black Tuesday, or whatever it was called.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I've been interested in Ron's candidacy for a while now, and I think he's about to surge. Which is actually pretty good timing. He's picking up steam as the herd is about to thin out a bit. He has reasonable positions and doesn't seem to be a party lackey blindly following the Bush administration's policies. Honestly, I'm beginning to think in the end he might be the only republican capable of beating Hillary Clinton.

On Fox News I've seen several commentators constantly criticize Ron, and it's for no other reason than he has a mind of his own. On the Factor for example, Bill O'Reilly is clearly a conservative, and he dogs Ron out as much as he dogs out Hillary. And I think to a point it has backfired a bit. The more some of these guys badmouth Ron Paul, the more people seem to take the time to actually listen to what he has to say.
No... O'reily is a neo-con. I'm a conservative. A real conservative. Small government, balanced budget, rights for people. Not this bloated spend money on everything excuse for conservatives.

Ron paul brings back the TRUE conservatives. He's the only true conservative on the ballot.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
I do notice a lot more venom being spat at Ron Paul from certain quarters, and it sounds bitterer. At first, these folks simply made fun of Paul, and dismissed him as an irrelevant sideshow. They mocked debate organizers for even inviting him. When Rudy Guiliani smeared Ron Paul after one of the earlier debates, they figured that this was the functional end of his 'campaign.'

I think it enrages them to see that Paul's campaign has actually grown stronger, and now has real money in reserve. They feel that he is being insolent merely by sticking around in 'their' Republican primary. They can't bring themselves to take him seriously, so they just intensify their mockery and derision. It's a funny spectacle to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies