Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Really? Dying from falling down the stairs stoned? Sorry, but if that's ever happened in the history of the world, the person who died was not someone who was worth keeping alive...

And it's far more likely that you'll be killed by someone messing with their phone or their A/C or Radio than someone who is driving unsafely due to marijuana consumption. Should we make A/C and Radio controls illegal? Should we take people's phones away because there's a chance they may use them while driving?

None of your arguments is a reason to keep marijuana illegal. You're trying to justify laws which have no basis in logic or fact, study the history of marijuana prohibition and then you'll realize that it's not even Constitutional for it to be illegal.

Then study the budget of the DEA. Before Reagan's idiotic ramping up of the drug war, the DEA budget was just $200,000,000/yr and there were a total of 4,000 employees. Now there are over 10,000 employees and a budget of over $2,000,000,000/yr. In 2009 there were 4,320,314 marijuana plants seized and destroyed by the government, which is a street value of $10,800,785,000 if the conservative police estimate of $2,500 a plant is used. Right there is $13,000,000,000 in governmental waste due to prohibition. 13 billion dollars wasted in the eradication, which is not to mention the 750,000+ police and judicial man-hours wasted on prosecution of nonviolent drug offenses. Nor does it take into account the profits which could be taxed if marijuana was distributed by legal US corporations.

Let's say the conservative estimate of legalization is an increase in economic activity (due to budget cuts and increased tax revenues) to be $50,000,000,000...how can ANYONE not want that? Marijuana will also be LESS accessible to kids if legalized, as it would be a controlled substance sold only to adults instead of being distributed by dealers.
Those numbers are pretty shocking. That's enough to nearly balance the budget alone. Throw in a few military cuts and we're back in the black.

But we're dead broke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm in my living room having a glass of wine now to get a little buzz on. I could just as easily take a hit but I like the flavor of this particular bottle. I'd love to see someone try to convict me of anything either way though..

Are you really admitting you drink alcohol to get a buzz? WOW~!

According to 'some' people that is NOT the purpose of drinking.

I am so shocked.

I quit drinking 30 years ago. I was drinking way too much. Once I tried weed I stopped the heavy drinking and now am lucky if I have two drinks on New Years Eve.
However, if someone gifted me with a bottle of any coffee flavored liquor I would mix it with milk and drink the whole bottle. Can't do that now because I have diabetes, but still love the taste and will have a drink at a time IF I get a bottle as a gift - I won't buy any for myself.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
WOW. Apparently some posts of mine were deleted between #168 and #169. City data censors now?? Reason was a personal attack to Fleet. Hardly. Ridiculous City Data and Ibginnie.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that like 95% of the eradication by the DEA/law enforcement is ditch weed nationwide. The kind of marijuana plant that won't even get you high. Your government at work folks. Wasting Hundreds of millions for ditch weed.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have posted data before. Not that it will be accepted, but here is one example.

From an article in the Reader's Digest (1996)...
A youngster 12-17 years old who smokes marijuana is 85 times more likely to use cocaine than one who does not.

Also from the article:
Fred Motley of Spring Valley, N.Y. understands how dangerous marijuana is. He was a 12-year-old honor student when he first smoked pot. "I wanted to be accepted by the cool crowd," he said. He started smoking pot only on weekends, but then moved to LSD, cocaine and crack. He became increasingly belligerent, routinely skipping school and became depressed. He eventually entered a drug treatment program and for two years tried to put his life back together.

Remember, this all started with marijuana, the "harmless" drug.

And if you think the above stories are unique or rare, it has been repeated many (too many) times.

You can now stop LOL.

Oh wow, a single article about a 12 year old who smoked pot (great parents there...) in 1996 is your SCIENTIFIC PROOF, eh?

Seriously, what a joke.

Know what else that kid did? Other drugs. Alcohol. Caffeine. Sugar. BAD PARENTS.

You have to be kidding, right? You're just a satire of one of these right-wingers, right? There's no way you can actually take what you say seriously...it's just not possible.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i wonder how much mula was donated by big pharma
Plenty!! Now BIG PHARMA is going after vitamin and herb companies. They are constantly trying to corner markets by force. The FDA is in their pocket, and they used Europe as a blueprint for the US. Their goal is to force everyone to use their artificial copy vitamins, and make natural vitamins and herbs illegal, or so impotent they are rendered useless.

This is on the heals of the largest fine in history against evil big pharma for feeding their poison to children when the drugs were only approved for adults.

Big Pharma Cartel Busted – Dr. David Brownstein, M.D | The Refusers

The FDA estimates that between 1999 and 2003, Vioxx may have contributed to more than 27,785 deaths.

They sold nearly $30B dollars of the drug and were slapped on the wrist a $320M fine? This was entirely for show and will do nothing to keep these companies from killing more people intentionally. It's known as "acceptable losses" in the world of business.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Don't forget we also have the alcohol industry, big pharma, and those who are invested in the prison industrial complex as well.
Don't forget that the CIA is one of the biggest importers of drugs (Contra scandal) and they use the proceeds to fund other black programs and to fight... ........ ...the war on drugs <<COUGH>>

Old 08-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
4th & 5th graders know that Marijuana smoke contains 3 to 5 times more tar as found in tobacco !!!

What kind of simpleton would support legalizing a mind altering hallucinogen that contains even more cancer causing drugs than cigarettes !!!

Indeed ! Legalize Pot !.................... The line down at the crazy house appears to be getting longer everyday ... and now we may reasonably deduce the mindset of the majority of those folks in that bloody line !
What 4th and 5th graders do you know? I'd be more concerned with the parents of these children. I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting them.

1... People also know that even a daily pot user (which is the minority just like alcohol) smokes about 1/5th of the typical smoker, rendering the comparison meaningless. Except for people who don't care about the facts, of course.

2... A person that knows and understands the lies and propaganda about pot, and knows the history of who perpetuated the lies and why.

3... We have impirical proof that the positive effects far outweight the negatives by miles. It's been proven over and over again.

Anyone raging against the facts are the ones who appear insane. Look, why don't you use your brain to render an obvious conclusion? There are 20M pot smokers in the US... is there an epidemic of pot induced cancer and people going crazy in the streets because of it? NO! What we do have are 2.6m people in prisons with 25% of those for meaningless, harmless possession crimes.
NOW THAT IS INSANITY!

The incarceration rates of prisoners in the U.S. stayed about the same for half a century from 1925 to 1975 at about 110 per 100,000 people. Then, coinciding with the war on drugs the rate began to shoot up dramatically to 751 per 100,000 (These numbers do not include those held in jails, since comprehensive information on those incarcerated in state and local jails was not collected until relatively recently.)

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Marijuana Arrests Feed Insatiable U.S. Prison System | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/mar...#ixzz247qBDsbf

Last edited by steven_h; 08-20-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Oh wow, a single article about a 12 year old who smoked pot (great parents there...) in 1996 is your SCIENTIFIC PROOF, eh?

Seriously, what a joke.

Know what else that kid did? Other drugs. Alcohol. Caffeine. Sugar. BAD PARENTS.

You have to be kidding, right? You're just a satire of one of these right-wingers, right? There's no way you can actually take what you say seriously...it's just not possible.
I think he is serious!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Don't forget that the CIA is one of the biggest importers of drugs (Contra scandal) and they use the proceeds to fund other black programs and to fight... ........ ...the war on drugs <<COUGH>>
Excellent information brother!! I have known that for years. Makes you wonder how heroin overdoses are up lately. And who is watching the poppy fields in Afghanistan? That's right, the US military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies